Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had my first flash back

Options
I've had my large egg for over a year now and I knew about the potential for flash back. So I decided to grill up some burgers for the family, had the coal lit in three spots, closed the lid and set everything to what I thought was 350f setting. 10 minutes later at the right temp I slowly "burped the lid" and then when I opened it the flames flashed onto my arms. I am a firefighter and have seen lots of fire but the thing that scared me the most was that I slammed the lid back down without thinking about it. I thought I might have cracked my egg!!. Singed the hell out of my arm hair! Wife was laughing.
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Been there, done that, as have most of us. Probably the best reason to have a gasket. Cushions the blow when you slam the lid.
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You can now be called an EggHead ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    While startling, those flashbacks are rarely fatal.

Welcome to fully-vested egghead status.
    Options
    MaC122

First of all... Thank-you for your service.
    Second, you can learn a lot from The Naked Whiz and here's his page on flashbacks. You can view the video on the "experiments" page.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

You've got to pay the wife back...don't get even, get ahead.

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Drink more Beer..Glad you are okay..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options

So, after much research on this forum, I have decided to forego the daisy wheel. Whats your thoughts on this? thanks

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Could've been worse. Google Hannah Storm burns. From a gasser.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @MaC122 - if you only cook above 300F, no problem.  Below that and you'll want it.  You have a lot more control over the temp and it's much more convenient to adjust versus leaning over to use the bottom vent.
    Options
    I thought a flash back is something your mind does and a back flash is what the egg does.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    MaC122 said:

So, after much research on this forum, I have decided to forego the daisy wheel. Whats your thoughts on this? thanks

All three on mine are in the garage. No need for them. Have not used one in 3 years now.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1 with @nolaegghead - only use it for low and slow. 
    Options
    @mickey - yeah you don't cook anything that ain't turbo either.
    Options
    thanks guys/or gals! thank you for your advice. no more fire creeping up my arms!
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Two Words: Welders Gloves.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot