Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

why are eggs so fun?

I really enjoy cooking outside,but why are eggs just so fun to cook on.I like trying to decide what to cook and what egg to use.Wings on the small tonight.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @tcampbell‌
    First let me say nice looking wings my friend. The answer to your question why is the egg so fun to cook on? First it makes cooking simple. Next it produces excellent results that can be replicated again and again. Next it can grill as well as hold temps for many hours. Next it can quickly and easily go from direct to indirect and vice versa. There is not many things that the egg doesn't excel at. Not many other cookers can make this same claim. It's just a outstanding unit for it's given purpose. I hope this helps to answer your question my friend. Again those wings look great.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Eggcellent response @SGH.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    @tcampbell‌
    One thing that I forgot to mention. The very design of the ceramic kamados helps preserve moisture very well. This being said a "decent" chef can turn out above average products on the ceramic cookers. A experienced chef can turn out products that rival any the world over. Just my thoughts my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @buzd504‌
    Thank you my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    For me, it's the versatility. People simply can't believe all the things that can be done with the egg.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Somethings in life are just fun. Egging is fun. No real explanation needed.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cooking is fun. Being outdoors is fun.  Cooking outdoors is twice as fun.  Although eggs are just another type of cooking appliance, they are cooking appliances that resemble Martian space craft.  And that's even more fun.
  • God meant for dudes to smoke, grill or roast dead animals over wood or lump charcoal.  We're not supposed to use some damn stove, pellets, or briquettes.  I believe I was intelligently designed to cook pork butt low and slow.  Neil Degrasse Tyson can eat some damn salad.  PLUTO IS A PLANET FOREVER!
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381

I started my Egg journey about 3 years ago.  Before that, I was an inveterage gasser; I just didn't know what I didn't know.  The idea of lighting charcoal and waiting for it seemed incomprehensible to me.  Eventually, I did figure it out and kicked the gas grill to the curb.  Lighting the Egg is effortless, and is just part of my evening ritual.  I've recently been investigating wood fired pizza ovens.  The complexity is vastly more than the Egg in every case!  It makes the Egg look like a walk in the park.

Kemah, TX
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Fire + meat + outdoors + expensive toys.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Versatility of cooking applications. And the support of our egging community.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    It is tough to figure out... charcoal grills always seemed like too much a hassle for me to deal with.  They also seemed like a waste to light up if I only wanted to cook something small.  Gas grills, for me, were a good alternative to cooking inside.  Convenient.  I was more into it for the food than the actual grilling experience.

With the egg, I look forward to the cook!  They light quick and when I'm done, I snuff it out and the leftover lump doesn't go to waste.  (in hindsight, with the cost of lump charcoal over briquettes, I'm probably not saving anything!) 

Anyway, it's good fun.  And it's big, solid and heavy.  Grunt! Ugh!! Meat!!!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    NPHuskerFL, I agree, the Egg community is a huge part of the fun of the Egg.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    You cannot put a price on SWMBO eggscape time while supervising the BGE with the appropriate adult beverages.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    It's the beer.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    henapple said:
    Here in Tennessee egging is like sex. Low and slow, lots of grease and involves a chicken or pig.
      maybe one of the all time greatest posts ever right there ^
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I agree with all of above comments. I just love mine. My wife had to talk me into it 18 months ago. I thought it was just an overpriced grill. 

Now I wouldn't take double what I paid for it! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    It's the beer and bourbon for me....gotta sip and relax while watching the Egg do its thing. :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • To me, it's more about the experience.  Being outdoors, lighting a fire, hearing the popping, cracking a beer, turning on some music and relaxing.  Not to mention the results...it's just a fun hobby.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    For me, the results are hard to beat. I would rather stay at home and cook than go out to a fancy dinner. I'm not a pro at this but I sure do enjoy it. Fire - Meat - Beer! I wish the rest of life was this simple. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    The egg has made grilling and cooking out more fun for me. I do all the cooking right now and I'm good with that. I used to to hate to use my old gas grill now I enjoy and love the egg.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Ron Swanson. This.
    Kemah, TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Probably not the most popular post but to me its not just the egg. I just love cooking outside on whatever I have to cook on. Some of the best wings I have made were over a fire pit at a local camp ground. At the Atlanta BBQ festival I had great BBQ that was cooked in a old metal garbage can rigged for proper air flow. I got a 22.5" Simpsons kettle today and on PTO tomorrow I think I am going to do some pulled beef and see what my new toy can do.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

BGE makes doing what I love (cooking outdoors) easy- and the results always are raved about by guests and family.  Last year, I even had someone insist that I hired a professional chef for a party- when I took him over to the BGE setup I have in the backyard, the look of surprise on his face was priceless

he went out and bought a BGE the next day and never looked back!

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    I still think my WSM18 is a better smoker than my large egg but it is one dimensional. The egg I'm using several times a week. I use it as a grill, a smoker, and a pizza oven. My WSM is merely a smoker.
    Dearborn MI