Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Question.....

Anybody tried Kebroak or Fogo lump? Thoughts?
GWN

Comments

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    I have tried Fogo and for Low and slow cooking nothing beats it . I usually have a bag on hand and only use it for low and slow cooking . I have never seen a bag to have consistently such large pieces . Burns slow and has no overpowering  flavor to it . 
    I filled up my large egg with it and smoked a 20 hour brisket and was able to get 2 more cooks out of it .
    Highly recomend trying it out
    Toronto
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    +1 to Fogo.  Great stuff.
    NOLA
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    @ Nanook , also its pretty cheap on Amazon.ca but it is on back order.
    I have a few bags coming to me when they restock it .
    Toronto
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Great. Thanks for info.
    GWN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2014
    @Nanook - Maple Leaf is a great lump, very neutral and all Canadian (if that matters to you). Our friends in Ontario can get it for as little as $13 a bag, we have to pay at least $20 - another reminder on how big this country is. 
    My local BBQ shops want $25-$30 for it and they will not discount. I found that Home Hardware has it for $20 in the west and $19 in the east. If they don't have it in stock, they will bring it in for you. I ordered 10 bags and my local HH owner gave me 5% off, so final price was $19/bag plus tax (8Kg)\

FOGO is good as well, from Latin America. I order when it is on sale with free shipping from Amazon.com. i've never seen it with free shipping for western Canada from Amazon.ca, maybe others are Prime members. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Nanook
    @Nanook - Maple Leaf is a great lump, very neutral and all Canadian (if that matters to you). Our friends in Ontario can get it for as little as $13 a bag, we have to pay at least $20 - another reminder on how big this country is. 
    My local BBQ shops want $25-$30 for it and they will not discount. I found that Home Hardware has it for $20 in the west and $19 in the east. If they don't have it in stock, they will bring it in for you. I ordered 10 bags and my local HH owner gave me 5% off, so final price was $19/bag plus tax (8Kg)\

FOGO is good as well, from Latin America. I order when it is on sale with free shipping from Amazon.com. i've never seen it with free shipping for western Canada from Amazon.ca, maybe others are Prime members. 

Thanks for the heads up on the Maple leaf. I will look for that as well. I just noticed this morning that I can get the FOGO from Amazon.ca with free shipping, so thought about giving it a whirl. Only two lumps I've used so far are BGE and Dragons Breath. I find the dragons breath has a lot smaller pieces, and I've been paying $30.00 a bag for these. Gets a little expensive....
    GWN
  • HAWKCARL
    HAWKCARL Posts: 63
    I ordered some FOGO off of Amazon last week, should be arriving today.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I agree on the Maple Leaf. Basques Nature's Own is good too. That can be had at Costco sometimes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Where in Ontario can you get Maple Leaf for $13 a bag. I only ever se it at Rona for about $20. It is great lump thou.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2014
    Eggdam said:
    Where in Ontario can you get Maple Leaf for $13 a bag. I only ever se it at Rona for about $20. It is great lump thou.
    Ask LS - I think he gets it at Nella Kitchen supply - might be a pallet buy?

EDIT - also it is $18.99 at HH, 5% discount if you buy more. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Thanks Skiddymarker. You are correct. That place is less than a hour from my house. Will have to head out that way to get some. He also said he would ship a pallet to me for $25 bucks too.
  • HAWKCARL
    HAWKCARL Posts: 63

My Fogo arrived yesterday. I still have a half bag of Royal Oak, so it'll be a while before I get into this bag.

"That there is a big bag of lump"

lump.jpg 106.1K
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    edited June 2014
    Eggdam said:
    I got Maple Leaf from Nella in Mississauga and North York in the past, not sure about the downtown TO location.  I believe it's still under $15  for an 8Kg bag, cheaper if you buy at least 20 bags.

canuckland
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776

The price of Fogo on Amazon varies wildly.  It's been stuck at $45 (it's high water mark) for weeks though.  Back in April I pulled the trigger on a few bags at $28 and change.  Camelcamelcamel.com is an interesting way to look at the price swings. 

I've started using Fogo for almost everything.  It's very smoke neutral, so the smoke flavor you apply comes from the smoke wood, not the lump.  It lights easily (w/weed torch), and produces very little ash.  The pieces are large, and sometimes need to be broken up - I can live with that.  The funniest criticism I've heard is that it was very sooty.  Duh!  It's charcoal ...

Santa Paula, CA
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Maple Leaf lump was on for $9.99 a couple of weeks ago at CostCo in north London.

Gerhard
  • Nanook
    Just ordered four 35lb bags from amazon.ca for $29.95. Free shipping...
    GWN
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    gerhardk said:
    Maple Leaf lump was on for $9.99 a couple of weeks ago at CostCo in north London.

Gerhard
    I think you meant Basques Nature's Own?
    canuckland
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2014
    tksmoke said:
     The funniest criticism I've heard is that it was very sooty.  Duh!  It's charcoal ...

It actually is very sooty - your hands get much more dirty when you handle it than other charcoals (it seems to be much "softer" too).

Not a big deal to me though, and I agree that it's a very nice burn.  I'm a fan.
    NOLA