Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regulating temperature

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggheads! I recently bought a BGE and have a question regarding temp control. What do y'all rely on most: The intake slot at the bottom of the cooker or the daisy wheel at the top? I've snuffed out a few fires the first few times out, but thankfully have gotten that under control![p]Thanks!

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Dr. Meat,
    I'm one of the folks that uses a little of each.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    ditto here.
    i tweak the daisy and the lower vent equally.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • cousintx
    Options
    Dr. Meat,
    I use both as well. I use the daisy wheel more for fine tuning and the damper for more coarse adjustments. I typically have a pretty good idea where both settings will start at once I am up to temp, and then I just go from there.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Dr. Meat,
    Whoa! Guess there's all kinds of ways to adjust temps like 14 different ways to do things in Windows. I watched one of the "old timers" (sorry Cat) do some ribs one time at an Egggfest and she didn't even have the daisy wheel . . . just the rain cap kind of half on half off and cooked those ribs using just the bottom vent and her temps held steady at 250º - 260º for about 5 hours. Since then I kind of set the daisy wheel at about half a little hole for lo 'n' slo and do all of my fine tuning from the bottom vent.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    Dr. Meat,
    mostly start with the daisy holes open and tune with the bottom. on windy days i have the lower draft shut more and adjust from the top. both ways work fine. i remember some old posts saying to leave the top open and adjust more from the bottom to allow stale smoke to exit the egg, but i havent noticed any differenc in the flavor of the product. seems to make sense though

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Dr. Meat,[p]I usually just leave the holes through the daisy wheel lined up and adjust the bottom vent. The biggest problem that I think most have is maintaning the lower temps. To hold 250 to 275 is relatively easy if you go and check it every hour and adjust up or down as needed. The biggest problem is I always over or under adjust which is why I have to check every hour or so.[p]I figure if I stay within 25 degrees of my desired temp I'm doing OK. But would love to be more consistant. I been playing with a new idea for the lower vent. Might have one made this week, will post a pic when done.[p]Scott

• Dr. Meat, Take time with your fire make sure it is going well,and don't let the heat build to fast. Leave the top open and start to adjust your bottom vent first. It's almost impossible to cool an egg down if you let it get to hot. Good luck. BR