Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ordering Beef Tri-Tip at the store

Options
Rumrunner
Rumrunner Posts: 563
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
PRINT THIS OUT AND TAKE IT WITH YOU[p]If the meat manager or meat cutter at your store is not sure what Tri-Tip is, tell them this:[p]"Tri-tip is sometimes called the triangle roast. According to the Uniform Retail Meat Identity Standards (the national standardization guidelines), Tri-Tip's UPC number is 1429 and Tri-Tip's IMPS/NAMP code is 185C. Please look this information up if you're not familiar with it and cut me -- or order me -- a Tri-Tip roast. Thank you!"[p]It comes from the Bottom Sirloin, which has three muscles...1)Ball Tip 2) Flap Meat and 3) the Tri-Tip. DO NOT let them sell you Sirloin Tip or London Broil, which are both from the Round, not the Sirloin. Or any other cut of meat...a Tri-Tip is a Tri-Tip. [p]All they have to do is call their supplier and mention the above numbers to get the Tri-Tip. A little effort with the phone is a lot better than remaining ignorant with every customer that may request a Tri-Tip.[p]tritip2.jpg
[ul][li]Meat and More[/ul]

Comments

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    I noticed the Dales seasoning in the background.
    Is there a prticular way that you use it. I have some and found it to be extremely salty. They should probably put it in a shaker bottle. How much of it would you use on those tri-tips?
    Thanks

• Rumrunner
    Options
    jake42, I slather mebbe 1 tsp (+or -) with each Tri-Tip on the meat first, followed by the spices. Light on the salt.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    the only problem there is that if i actually say that to him, he's gonna touch it when it comes in.[p]...i worked in a supermarket as a teen, and you doan wanna know what some of those kids did to the meat....[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Rumrunner, These peices of roast going to get the sear or another method of cooking? My meat man takes a lot of pride in remaining numb to the world and doubt he would accept any suggestions especially those with numbers attached. I saw a sign the other day in the meat case for tri tip but now that I see yours I'm sure it was sirloin.
  • Rumrunner
    Options
    Charbon, follow the link on how I do mine. Others do different. This is just one way.[p]Btw, if I spend a lot of money at a store, or a butcher shop, and they didn't want to take the time to order me what I WANTED, or couldn't be bothered, I think it would be time to seek out a new meat man. Just my humble opinion.

[ul][li]grilling the Tri-Tip[/ul]
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Rumrunner,[p]My understanding is that there are two types of Tri-tips. A steak version and a roast version.[p]I think the one people are interested in here is the roasts. Is this correct?[p]Kee em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Jethro,[p]Yes! Roasts stay juicy even if slightly med.[p]Pete

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    Thanks! I've set a trap for one and haven't caught any so it's off to the butcher I go. :o)

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo Rr,
    Wonderful information. Thank you. Your site covers all the details I wanted to know. Have a jug of Dale's in the pantry that gifting friends said to use as a marinade. I'll crack it open and do a light mop per your steps. Let you know how it works on venison top round.
    Thanks
    Dan