Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean burn

Options
fusionhq
fusionhq Posts: 1,707
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
Influenced by others. I bought my XL used. Time for a cleaning. imageimageimage

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you don't have the clip on the back of your thermo I would pull it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fusionhq
    Options
    DMW said:

If you don't have the clip on the back of your thermo I would pull it.

Good call. It's out.

• fusionhq
    Options
    I just opened my egg to see how it was going and the dome felt SUPER loose. Help!
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    fusionhq said:
    I just opened my egg to see how it was going and the dome felt SUPER loose. Help!
    Think that's pretty normal - the band will expand, but the ceramic dome won't. Should go back snug once cool. Unless it's not falling off the band, I think you're fine. You might want to tighten one turn when it cools down to be safe. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yep, wait til it cools to open it again.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fusionhq
    Options
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    I did one of those last weekend... ran it at about 650 for about 35 to 40 minutes... got up the next morning and my lid was welded to the base!! I was able to pry it apart but the gasket is officially toast   >:)

XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Mc mac been there done that. He will find out in the morning that he will most likely need a razor blade to get it to open and then learn how to replace a gasket
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    I ordered my Rutland then did a clean burn, made removing the old gasket easy
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    They do tend to come off pretty easy when they are crispy don't they
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • fusionhq
    Options
    I must not have had enough lump. Burned at 700 for over an hour, but nothing cleaned. Gasket is ok too.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    fusionhq said:
    I must not have had enough lump. Burned at 700 for over an hour, but nothing cleaned. Gasket is ok too.
    700 for an hour tells me you just left your dome thermometer in - right? If you really want to do a burn out to thoroughly clean your egg then remove the thermometer - which BTW you might want to check the calibration anyway - and also remove any cover on your dome and leave your bottom vent wide open. My advice is let her rip all night and just burn out! Personally I can run my dome thermometer up to 700 just on 2 Weber cubes - 700 is no big deal...a burn out needs time to be done correctly, but that's just my opinion I suppose, but it has worked for me for many years!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I am not so sure that the perfect white is worth shooting for and I am firm believer that 600-700 is fine for a clean burn. That is all I do when I start noticing extra smoke in food that shouldn't be smokey. Let it burn at 600-700 for and hr or so then when it is cool take a ball of aluminum foil and wipe down dome. All good at that point. BTW most self cleaning ovens are at way below nuclear so why chance the big CRACK and your egg.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options
    I am not so sure that the perfect white is worth shooting for and I am firm believer that 600-700 is fine for a clean burn. That is all I do when I start noticing extra smoke in food that shouldn't be smokey. Let it burn at 600-700 for and hr or so then when it is cool take a ball of aluminum foil and wipe down dome. All good at that point. BTW most self cleaning ovens are at way below nuclear so why chance the big CRACK and your egg.
    sorry but I have to address this one further - I have read repeatedly that BGE reps tout the fact that to test for thermal shock that they run an egg to 800 degrees and then dump a 5 gallon bucket of ice into it to see what happens - which is NOTHING! A quick 700 degree run up may waste a wimpy gasket, but it sure won't hurt a BGE.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Just pulled my Thermo and took the top off the smokeware...

She's a rippin now
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Ron, I simply offered my opinion on the matter. I thought that was what this forum was about. How many times have you dumped a 5 gallon bucket of water in your 800* egg?? I can say that by doin what I mentioned in the above post my 8yr old egg still has all the original ceramics with no cracks. Just because a car is advertised to go 150mph doesn't mean that it is the safest way to get from point A to point B. Just sayin.....

analyze adapt overcome

• Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    I let me large with high Q rip and I ended up with a cracked bowl & base...

LBGE

BTFU!

• RRP
    Options
    Ron, I simply offered my opinion on the matter. I thought that was what this forum was about. How many times have you dumped a 5 gallon bucket of water in your 800* egg?? I can say that by doin what I mentioned in the above post my 8yr old egg still has all the original ceramics with no cracks. Just because a car is advertised to go 150mph doesn't mean that it is the safest way to get from point A to point B. Just sayin.....
    Sorry - I never meant to piss you off, but at this point I can't "unscramble the egg" can I? I just know that my broken and replaced fireboxes over the years never came after the few high heat burn outs I have done. Peace - bro...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    750 F is plenty hot to vaporize all the organics and oil.  You don't need to get the thing white.  When you get it white, you're cooking off all the carbon and creosote, which isn't going to hurt anything or effect the taste of your food.  Whatever the hottest temp you cook food at, go above that 100F and you're fine (or 750 minimum).  The thermometer is rated up to 750F. 

Why take it over what you need? It's going to get black the next cook anyway.

Do take our thermometer out if you go over 750.  A good idea to check the calibration at this point too.  I checked both of mine last weekend and one was 25F low.
    Options
    Damn I wish I could like your post more than once!!

analyze adapt overcome

• Morris4kids
    Options
    Any concern about the wooden table on a full burn?
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options

Any concern about the wooden table on a full burn?

Plenty... I don't think I'd sleep very soundly with something rippin' along at 800 enclosed in wood
  • RRP
    Options
    Damn I wish I could like your post more than once!!

I'm sure that wasn't directed at me, but I will apologize one more time. I never meant to piss you off, but when I read posts about how you have to baby a BGE it just creates a knee jerk reaction. Peace - bro...
  • fusionhq
    Options
    Well, I didn't mean to get anyone's panties in a wod.  I got the grill up to 700-750 with thermo in, and pulled thermo.  Everything was almost completely open, so I opened it up the rest...Probably didn't get past 800 as there was little lump left.  Probably burnt for an hour or two before going out.  Either way, I'm not a fan of the clean burn...just wanted to try it.   Thanks!

• Mattman3969
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sorry - I never meant to piss you off, but at this point I can't "unscramble the egg" can I? I just know that my broken and replaced fireboxes over the years never came after the few high heat burn outs I have done. Peace - bro...

All is good Ron, no worries!! I popped off before thinkin. I use my egg how that it fits my style of eggin and try to give the best advice based on things that I have actually done. I am sure nobody would ever dump water in a 800* egg but OTOH with all the new eggers that are posting and lurking I wouldn't ever want someone misread one of my suggestions and harm themselves or their egg. :)>-

analyze adapt overcome