Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drinking and driving.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited June 2014 in Off Topic
Not trying to preach but just stating facts. If you must drink please do not drive my brothers and sisters. Here is the results most of the time. Just got home from the hospital picking up my son. Thankfully he is just banged up. Again please don't make this same mistake my friends. Enjoy your beverages but for goodness sakes get someone else to drive.
May the Good Lord keep all of us safe.
Just for the record the drunk guy swore that the alcohol had nothing to do with the accident. He said that he could drive better with a few beers in him. If that is true I sure would hate to see how he drives sober.
imageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Agree. Keep it at the house people!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Sage advice.  Father in Law is a DUI attorney and he said the surest way to mess up your life and someone else's is to drink and drive.

Sobering message- no pun intended

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH Glad your son is safe. In too many cases that's not the outcome. Cars can be repaired and replaced.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Agree. Glad your son is OK.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• SGH
    Options
    @fusionhq‌ @westernbbq‌ @DMW @RAC‌
    Thank y'all for the kind words.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    So glad your son is safe! My wife and I lost our 19 year old granddaughter to a drunk driver 9 years ago and our life has never been the same. SGH you are so blessed!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    2 teens were killed near me - both just graduated High School. Driver was also a recent graduate and drunk. Now he's killed two of his friends and may now (almost certainly) prison time.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • chappy319
    chappy319 Posts: 50
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I drink more than my share, one drink, and I am in a cab. So many people drink a twelve Pak and drive. It is not worth it. Maybe we need lower DUI level so they get it.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim
    Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words my friend. I hate to hear of your loss especially when it was so senseless and avoidable. Drunk drivers will never really understand how they devastate other peoples life. Sadly it's usually the drunk who survives. God bless you my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,949
    Options
    Guy I went to high school with made the mistake of thinking he was OK to drive and ended up killing someone.  Story here:

Ouellette said Lambert and his friends had chosen a designated driver in anticipation of drinking on their September 2007 expedition to a Boston Red Sox game. But around midnight, when Lambert arrived back at the Macy's parking lot in Bedford where he'd left his pickup truck, he refused the offer of a ride home to Goffstown and chose to drive himself.

The prosecutor said Lambert drove his truck the wrong way up an off ramp onto the highway and headed north in the southbound lane of Interstate 293.

By the time Lambert saw headlights coming toward him, it was too late, said Ouellette.

"The two vehicles collided head-on," he said, fatally injuring Bailey.

Ouellette said Lambert admitted he had too much to drink and a blood-alcohol test show a.21 level, approaching three times the legal limit.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    Options
    @chappy319‌
    You are correct brother it's not worth it. But unfortunately you and I are in the minority with this belief. Most power drinkers feel that they do everything better after a few drinks. Including driving.

Status- Standing by.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Amen to that!  Glad your son is going to be OK!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • SGH
    Options
    @jhl192‌
    Thank you brother.

Status- Standing by.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I used to drink and drive, I luckily never injured someone. It took a DUI, with no injuries thankfully, for me to grow up. It is not worth it.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Have a DUI as well from many years ago and nobody was hurt, thankfully. Learned my lesson and would never do it again.I'm thankful every day that I never hurt someone... So young and stupid then.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • SGH
    Options
    @BYS1981‌ @CANMAN1976‌
    I'm both glad and thankful to hear y'all don't drink and drive any longer. Y'all are both valued members on this forum and it would be a shame to lose y'all to drinking and driving. Hey we have all made mistakes before. But if you learn from them then that's a positive thing. Glad y'all saw the light my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    So glad that your son is okay. I'm sure a judge will be happy to hear that the turd drives better after a few beers.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    Options
    @caliking‌
    Thank you brother. That's a very good point you made too!

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SGH I'm glad your son isn't egregiously injured from that accident, it could have been much worse.

I try to stay off the roads when the drunks are out...especially New Years.  I celebrate that at home, or we walk down to the levee and watch the fireworks. 

Now that I'm older, I'd much rather have a BBQ party at home with friends than go out.  Took me a while, but I got most of the wildness out of my system back in my 20's and 30's, and escaped ever getting a DUI.  (that's not to say I probably never should have)
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    Thank you as always for your kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Education is key... As Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young sing --- teach the children well and young... SGH so glad your son and everyone is well... cars are things that can be replaced....Eat, Egg, and be Merry!!!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Jupiter Jim Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words my friend. I hate to hear of your loss especially when it was so senseless and avoidable. Drunk drivers will never really understand how they devastate other peoples life. Sadly it's usually the drunk who survives. God bless you my friend.
    Thanks and God bless you too. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg Thank you for your kind words my friend.
    @Jupiter Jim You are more than welcome my friend. And may the Good Lord bless you my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Glad your son is ok. He is very lucky. As much as we discuss/joke about drinking here on the forum, as soon as the first drink is poured the car keys get put away. Lucky for me the Mrs. does not drink more than a rare glass of wine. I always have a designated driver.
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Glad your son is ok too..

Be safe and have fun folks!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Tjcoley‌ @sumoconnell‌
    Thank y'all for the kind words my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    @SGH, glad to hear that the good Lord was watching over your son and that he was not seriously injured.

Also, please refrain from texting while you're driving as well. Too many accidents are being caused by that as well!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I am so glad your son is okay. 26 years ago, when I was 19, I made the stupid mistake of driving drunk. 

I was a mile from home when I flipped the car 4 times. Thankfully I was alone and there were no other cars involved. I was ejected from the vehicle and knocked unconscious. I broke 13 bones and spent a week in the hospital and had a long recovery. 

That was a lesson learned that I will never forget. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

SGH - Good to hear that your son is not seriously injured.  I was hit by a drunk driver years ago.  He ran a red light, driving at night without his lights on.  It was his 4th or 5th DUI, and of course he didn't have a license.  Fortunately no one was seriously injured.  Like others, I was lucky to have survived some of my earlier exploits without incident (and without getting caught).  Now fortunately the laws are tougher - and rightfully so.  The penalties are huge.  But the potential for changing an innocent person's life forever far eclipses that.  Unfortunately, one of the effects of alcohol is the blurring of judgment.  

+++  On texting while driving.  Nothing is so important that it can't wait until the car is pulled off the road and stopped. We are so conditioned to our instant communication - it's important to step back and think about the risks. Today there was a news story about 3 teenage girls being killed by a driver who ran a red light - odds on he was texting. 

Stepping down off of soap box...

Santa Paula, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    edited June 2014
    Options
    my brothers truck from 2.5 years ago. the drunk that hit him was doing over 100 mph over the speedlimit. to compound it, it happened on a stateline and the officers on the mass side didnt bloodtest or breathalyze the guy, they didnt even charge him at the scene. its still in the courts, my brothers med bills are well over a half mil but he is finally walking
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it