Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my egg is white again!

2»

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Check the firebox air holes and clear out your ash....  Something is limiting airflow!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Check the firebox air holes and clear out your ash....  Something is limiting airflow!!!!
    Thanks. That's the only thing I can think of as well. I'll vacuum it out again tomorrow to make sure there are no clogged vents.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    If you have a shop vac, put the hose on the exhaust and blow air in the screen if you have trouble getting hot temps.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    DMW said:
    If you have a shop vac, put the hose on the exhaust and blow air in the screen if you have trouble getting hot temps.
    Thanks for the tip. It's still at 400 but when I opened the lid it's mostly ash. I'll vacuum out before next time and use the shop vac. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

I would remove the fire ring, firebox, clear the air inlet holes in the firebox with a wooden pencil and get everything else out of the bottom of the lower part of the empty BGE.

Also, if you have something that can force air onto the coals once they start up after you have it put back together, stand there with the lid open and fan the coals once they catch fire a little bit.

Good luck!

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I did an accidental clean burn last year ... Intended to clean the grates but got caught up in TV and  forgot that I left the Egg topless and the vent open wide.  Looked out to see blue flame shooting a foot above the top vent.  Closed the lower vent and allowed temp to drop before putting ceramic cap in place.  Opened it the next morning to find a white dome interior... only fine white dust where gunk had been flaking off the previous day.