Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Used XL on Craigslist in DFW $750

Options
Proser
Proser Posts: 271
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
Seems he bought it without wife's permission

Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2014
    Options
    He says he bought it for $750 new.  Can that be right for an XL ?

Edit: Nevermind - it says used.
    NOLA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just a heads up to anyone considering it, that's the older style XL with narrow handle and shallow dome.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I cooked with the older style dome for years. Cooked great. Upgraded the dome because I just had to have the new style. Waste of money really. It does give a little more clearance towards the edge but not enough to justify buying dome as upgrade to older XL. IMO
    $750 not a bad price, not a super great price but very fair. The newer, wide handle and upgraded hinge system is better than the older original.
    Keep calling till the wife answers...you might get a real good deal.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Too bad I can't take it back with me on the airplane since I am in Dallas on business
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited June 2014
    Options

he said he bought it used.   not a bad price,    I paid 1050 for a new one 4 years ago.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    He could only keep it hidden from his wife for two weeks until she found it under a tarp in the garage.  Sounds like he's gonna get the strap-on tonight.
    Options
    That is funny. Personally, I would buy new and get the lifetime warranty. Only takes a couple of warranty claims to make up the price difference.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Damn funny Nola.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited June 2014
    Options
    He could only keep it hidden from his wife for two weeks until she found it under a tarp in the garage.  Sounds like he's gonna get the strap-on tonight.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Man his wife is tougher then mine and must not like grilled food, because I paid $1100 for mine. I wouldn't sell it, but I got my approval first and my gas grill was toast.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dubya
    Dubya Posts: 8
    Options
    I got my used XL on craigslist for 400, at that price I didnt ask my wife i just called my brother to help lift it. A band bolt was broken it wouldn't open right, and the mesh fire screen was torn so the guy wanted to get rid of it. Came with nest and eggmates as well. Called bge got a bolt sent for free , bought the screen and put a new gasket on it, a lil clean burn it was good as new!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just a heads up to anyone considering it, that's the older style XL with narrow handle and shallow dome.

That dome doesn't look like the shallow one to me.  I remember seeing the shallow one when it first came out 10+ yrs ago and it was really short......looked more like a lid off of a dutch oven or skillet.

With the narrow handle, it probably does have the taller firebox and ring though (unless they have been replaced.)  That's not a bad thing unless you want to use a plate setter.

Either way, not a bad price on a XL.  I only use mine for grilling, so dome height isn't an issue.