Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mussels and clams?

Has anyone have any success grilling mussels and/or clams?   Note - I don't mean steam them in liquid in a vessel - I mean "dry"grilling them right on the grid (or in a mesh basket, as I intend to use). Hoping they'll still cook and retain some moisture, while taking on some smoke.  Thanks.
Toronto, ON

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Not something I've tried. We usually toss them in a CI Dutch oven with liquid. Interested to see what others have to say.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i have tried it and dont really like it but others do like it, cant hurt to give it a shot. i do like stuffed clams off the egg, and when i do mussels on the egg i cook chourico in a cataplana lid open for smoke, then some garlic, then a wine deglaze followed with diced tomatoes and when hot in goes the mussel. cover and cook a few minutes, shake, flip and cook til done. its more like a cioppino this way
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    They are firmer than oysters and have less liquid and you should be careful about drying them out.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    I've grilled them in a grill basket before. The clams take longer than the mussels. They have a good flavor!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @martinhd28‌
    I have done them grilled but in my opinion there is much better ways to cook them. @Richard Fl brings up a very good point. They are very easy to dry out on the grill. Just my thoughts my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    The key is to catch them as soon as they open. I cooked mine direct at 500F. Only took about 4-5 minutes for the clams. Mussels were open in about 2-1/2.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    I grill little necks all of the time, they're amazing! I toss them on at a dome temp of 350-375 and pull them as soon as the shells open. My family and friends are absolutely obsessed with this recipe from Jasper White, I make it almost every weekend during the summer. It's the ultimate party appetizer when we are at the beach.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/grilled-clams-with-garlic-butter-recipe.html
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    The trick to not drying them out is cooking at a low enough heat that the fire doesn't burn the clam through the shell. If the heat is right they should pop open and there will still be a good amount of clam juice puddled in the lower shell.