Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Relocating to Columbia, SC

Options
Maizeandbrew18
Maizeandbrew18 Posts: 69
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hey all (well, soon to be y'all):

We are potentially in the process of moving to Columbia, SC in the coming months from the Midwest.  We have family around the are and my wife is from there originally but I wanted a non-family/friend opinion of Columbia.  Any thoughts on where to live, best schools, specific neighborhoods, etc. would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks in advance!
Large BGE
Lexington, SC

Comments

• williamadamsesq
    Options
    When Jadevon Clowney played for South Carolina he treated someone from M*chigan poorly! I recall.
  • Maizeandbrew18
    Options
    Not what I was looking for...haha. I actually was at that game...it was a long, quiet way home to Columbia.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    Hottest place in the South. Something about the topography. Brutal.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • kevinhville
    kevinhville Posts: 19
    Options
    Native Columbian here. Some say it was built atop the gates of hell. :-) I left 20 years ago, but my parents are still in the area. They moved to Lexington after I left. It's nice - still hot. Good luck with the move.
  • pigoutsc
    pigoutsc Posts: 92
    Options
    I am from the upstate of SC. Have to agree with everyone about the heat. Good news is you are less than 2 hours to the Mountains or Beach, cant beat that. Not sure about best place to live but seems to be a lot of growth north of Columbia on 26 and 77 (Blythwood)  Good luck and welcome

• Maizeandbrew18
    Options
    Thank you all. Appreciate it! Well, being in Michigan, you don't have to shovel heat!
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Summers are hot. Been here since grad school so going on 25 years. Great little city..,too big for a college town but very USC focused. You will enjoy it. Richland 2 and Lex county schools are good...Hammond and Heathwood are 2 good private schools.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I'm in the Columbia area too. I live in Lexington and really like it. Not too far from downtown Columbia, but far enough. :) The school districts here are really good from what I hear.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    SC is full! Go Back!

Just kidding! Since your wife has family here you are allowed back in!
    Duncan, SC
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I also live in Columbia. 

For private schools, as mentioned, Hammond and Heathwood are some of the best options. My kid attends Hammond. I attended Heathwood. How old are your kids? For public even the best public are not that great but 

Those are top in SC and only Dutch Fork is in Columbia area. And they are #696 in the country. So take that for what you will.

AC Flora has a solid IB program if want more in Columbia and public (Dutch Fork is more Lexington/Chapin side)

It is a nice town. Pick up a weekly copy of Free Times (free and avail almost everywhere) to get idea of weekly events and bars/entertainment.

Ft Jackson and USC make up huge part of demographic. 

A lot of rivers for fishing. Not sure if still true when I was younger I remember hearing Columbia had more undeveloped land of any state capital. Even if not still true there is a lot of trails, woods, rivers, and other outdoor options. 
    Boom
  • 4Runner
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys‌ - my boys are at Hammond. Rising 9th graders.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • FanOfFanboys
    edited June 2014
    Options
    4Runner said:
    @4runner my son will be in kindergarten, my niece in first grade, brother in 7th (15 years between him and I). My sister's boyfriend has two kids, one who graduated this year and one who will be in 6th grade.
    We may have seen each other around. Will your boys be on any sports team for the upcoming year?
    Boom
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    It may be hot in the summer but the other months are great. If you don't mind a 55-60 min commute come to Aiken, SC. I've been here from Boston the past 24 years. Great city, schools, church's, community, etc.... Plenty of folks from everywhere!!! Otherwise, the Lexington community would probably be the best right near Columbia. Either way welcome, perhaps we'll get an Eggfest this way.
  • 4Runner
    Options
    4Runner said:
    @4runner my son will be in kindergarten, my niece in first grade, brother in 7th (15 years between him and I). My sister's boyfriend has two kids, one who graduated this year and one who will be in 6th grade.
    We may have seen each other around. Will your boys be on any sports team for the upcoming year?

Baseball and basketball. What is your brothers name? I'm sure they know each other.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Let's see. Columbia. Nice people in general. Lots of them smoke. They have some alligators. Old part of USC campus is beautiful. Ol' McKissic is my hero. Flights are expensive. Traffic can be brutal depending. Bo Jangles. That's what I remember from my son's four years at USC.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I've been there a couple of different times for U.S. Army schools. Don't have any info on the things your wanting, but just wanted to say that The Original Pancake House is a great place to eat breakfast.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Maizeandbrew18
    Options
    Thank you all for your help.  My son is only 3 months old so we aren't in a situation where higher learning is a huge concern right now :).  However, we are targeting the Lexington area more than likely.

Again, I appreciate it!  Hopefully we can all meet up for some eggin'.  I'll know my wife, my in-laws and that's about it when/if I arrive.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • gooddogjudge
    gooddogjudge Posts: 106
    Options
    The following Richland One Schools (Columbia proper) are excellent:  Brennen Elementary, Satchel Ford Elementary, Crayton Middle School, Hand Middle School, AC Flora High School, Dreher High School. Those schools are available for the 29204, 29205 and part of 29206 and 29209 zip codes.  
    Heathwood, Forest Hills, Jackson Heights, Lake Katherine, Shandon, Rosewood and "Behind the Veterans Hospital" - where are buddy Joe lives, are all desirable neighborhoods.  
    Don't believe the hype that the public schools are mediocre.  We have had unbelievably good experiences at all the above schools (and they don't cost $15,000/ year).
    More house and quadruple the traffic for your money if you choose Lexington.  

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    The following Richland One Schools (Columbia proper) are excellent:  Brennen Elementary, Satchel Ford Elementary, Crayton Middle School, Hand Middle School, AC Flora High School, Dreher High School. Those schools are available for the 29204, 29205 and part of 29206 and 29209 zip codes.  
    Heathwood, Forest Hills, Jackson Heights, Lake Katherine, Shandon, Rosewood and "Behind the Veterans Hospital" - where are buddy Joe lives, are all desirable neighborhoods.  

Don't believe the hype that the public schools are mediocre.  We have had unbelievably good experiences at all the above schools (and they don't cost $15,000/ year).

More house and quadruple the traffic for your money if you choose Lexington.  

I'll disagree. Public schools by and large are mediocre. It is not a conspiracy, SC schools have ranked near the bottom for a long time by every measurable. Of course can certainly go there and be a success after, get into elite colleges, etc. And Flora has a great IB program. But numbers do not lie. 
    Flora is probably the best school in Richland 1 but their numbers are no where near the definition of excellent. 
    Most the neighborhoods listed are nice though.
    But since he already stated he would be living in Lexington does not matter. Lexington 5 school district is a good place and the new CATE school is very awesome. Once they are eligible to be ranked I fully expect them to be highest ranked public school in SC or very close to Academic Magnet. I have spent a lot of time at every single school for Lex 5 (customer of mine) and came away much more impressed, more than I can describe in words, than I did with my time in the Richland 1 schools. 
    OP I think overall you'll enjoy it. And won't have a hard time meeting people. 
    Boom
  • Maizeandbrew18
    Options
    This thread has been a ton of help.  It's fun to hear different perspectives from those in and around Columbia, so thank you.  I'll find out soon if Columbia will be my new home.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC