Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HIGH-Que Grate for Large... Is it needed?

Options
jhl192
jhl192 Posts: 1,006
I see that the HIGH-QUE grate is valuable for the medium and the small.  Is the HIGH-QUE grate as needed on the large?  If you have the HIGH-QUE grate for your large, I would like to hear your opinions and thoughts.  
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    Needed - no
    Do I love mine - yes

LBGE

BTFU!

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Needed = no
    But it makes my LBGE & SBGE much nicer to use.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options

I have one for the large and don't care for it on a regular basis. It drops bigger pieces of molten charcoal into the bottom of the egg. However, I do like to use it on long overnight cooks low and slow cooks as it seems to hold temps better.

Definitly not needed

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Did the stock grate work? Yes. Do I like the HighQ better? Yes. 

You do get small fall through but they light and cause heat as well. It took me a bit to relearn my vent settings but that was no big deal  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would definitely recommend it for the large.  With the stock grate sometimes it would get clogged and the temp would not act right.  It is much more consistent with the high-Q.  I also had a fire go out on an overnighter with the stock grate- never with the high-q. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I had the high que for my medium and it was definitely needed it.

When I bought my large, I acquired the St Louis Charcoal version that does the same thing around the same time. Gets to temp faster and no snuffing at low temps.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I would definitely recommend it for the large.  With the stock grate sometimes it would get clogged and the temp would not act right.  It is much more consistent with the high-Q.  I also had a fire go out on an overnighter with the stock grate- never with the high-q. 
    Could not say it better. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    I bought one for the large.  Initially I didnt like the lump falling through the grate.  After a while, I realized the tiny piece of lump get used up too (mostly) and the quick lighting and easier control made it worth the cost of a little bit of increased lump use.  I bought one for the mini too before I even finished paying for the thing.  The stock one has never even seen heat.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    In my large I use the stock grate for low and slow and the High-Q for everything else.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• WoodsDog
    WoodsDog Posts: 48
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I really like my High-Q grate on the large. It does drop bigger pieces, as mentioned, but i can live with that, or throw the bigger pieces back on top the pile when i clean it out. 

The biggest draw back to me, by far, is that the damn ash tool catches on it 100x more easily during cleaning when moving the charcoal around and get the ash to fall.  It will snag, move the High-Q grate to one side, and then most of your load drop into the bottom.  I've gotten better at going slow, or I turn the ash tool upside down to help (which makes the ash tool useless).  It's better, but it still gets me and drives me crazy.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @jhl192‌
    I have the high q in my large. I would highly recommend it. Others have pretty much covered the positives and negatives of the high q grate in the above posts. So I will not go over what has already been covered. However I would like to add a verse if I may. First let me say that this is my findings and what works for me on my egg. The biggest plus of the high q grate is that it alleviates suffocation problems. I find that I can really load the egg up and not choke the fire out at low temps. There are times that I have a spider, sear grate, woo, plate setter as well as a 16 inch pan all at once in the egg. Plus a load of meat. I used the original grate for a long time and can say for a fact that I can load the egg much heavier if you will without issues. I also can hold much lower temps without suffocating the fire vs the factory grid. You asked is it a must. Absolutely not. Does it expand the eggs ability and broaden your set ups? Absolutely my friend. I hope this helps your decision.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    IMO: Hell yes. Have three Eggs and all three have them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I have the St. Louis Charcoal version on my Small and Large, and another Small one on the Mini. It does burn more lump than the former grates, but I don't mind because for some reason my temperature settings are a lot more stable. Like set it and forget it!

I'm not a tech-head so I don't know the physics involved, but it works for me.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    In case you are not sure of what we are talking about. Thing on the bottom that looks just like the grid on top. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yes, worth it.  Have one on my large, need one for my medium. 

I don't see how you would burn more lump with them except that you get to your set point temp faster and you can get hotter.  Maybe there's more bypass gas, hell if I know.  I just know it's worth every penny.
    Options
    Yes, worth it.  Have one on my large, need one for my medium. 

I don't see how you would burn more lump with them except that you get to your set point temp faster and you can get hotter.  Maybe there's more bypass gas, hell if I know.  I just know it's worth every penny.

I'm retired but glad to float you a small loan my friend :-t

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thanks @Mickey.  I'm doing ok at $2.35/hr plus tips.  I figure I can tough it out for the next 6 months while I save up $35 for a High Que grate.  I'm almost half way there!!! ;)
    Options
    I've noticed since adding mine it seems to burn off the VOC's much quicker on start up with fresh charcoal than the standard grate. Must be the increased air flow.
    Dearborn MI
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I had trouble with the stock grate on my large on only a couple of cooks. I upgraded to the High Que and have not had any issues. I would highly recommend. I also bought one immediately for my mini.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    hope so becuase mine just came!
  • legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    Options
    I have one and it seems my egg performs better with it. Had a 12 hours cook at 240 and it held temps fine - of course used digi-q but the old grate did clog.