Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Board (I am Sold) Awesome Filet

Options
Haven't posted is a while since race season has gone into full swing and went on a whim and sold my house. I got Adam Perry's book for Xmas and then saw @DMW‌ post about a board sauce. I got some filets yesterday (1/2 off! cheap meat) and said I'm trying it. I did my sauce shaved shallot,garlic and minced basil, chives and oregano.

I did a reverse sear and brought the filets up To 100 and then pulled them off and laid them on the board in the sauce. Got egg to 600 and then tossed on 1 min per side.

Served with a side of venison okra tomato concoction I had made and some mushrooms with wine and garlic. Had a bottle of Barry Switzer (yes that guy) Cabernet that was awesome.

Wife told me that's the beat steak I have made to date. I call BS since we have been together 8 years and I've made 100's off steaks. But if she says so that's awesome.imageimageimageimage

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks good from here. I really enjoy the APL cookbook.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Sorry I didn't slice in and show the goodness, I forgot when the first bite went in.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @TUTTLE871‌
    Looks like a home run to me. For the record you can count on what @DMW tells you. His advice is solid as a rock. Again good job my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    :\"> @SGH Thanks for the kind words. I owe any success I have to those here on the forum and various blogs out there (amazingribs.com griffinsgrub, Nibblemethis) come to mind. Prior to getting my egg I was lucky if I could warm stuff up in the microwave. Once I made the investment I wanted to get all I could out of it. There were plenty of failures (still are) that I didn't/won't post. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm inspired
    Options
    I'm inspired
    Prove it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW‌
    As always you are more than welcome and deserving of the statement my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TUTTLE871
    Options
    Hey everyone Thank You for the kind words. Yes @DMW‌ your post made me take on this task.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I'm inspired
    Prove it.
    I mention the 1% inspiration and now you want me to do the 99% perspiration.  The latter being the proof of the former.  (sigh) ok.  Give me a few days, I'm still digesting that wagyu brisket (*burp*)
    Options
    Sold your house?? Where are you going to be living now?

Delicious looking meal!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Awesome cook.
    Been tinkering with board sauces since saw posts on both forums. I have been experimenting using fresh herbs and spices, butter sauces infused with herbs and rubs and rubs in oil paste. Really brings out the steak flavor.
    Sold house? Still in Dallas?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Mmmm....beef. So where are you moving. Can you stand to move to far away from Jimmy's? And Traitor Joes?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    nolaegghead.

Do you technically have to make a mess on your cutting board though? :)  I am lazy.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    To be honest I have no clue where we are moving, wanting to stay close to where I live now. We actually might live at our lake house for the summer and then buy something back in town come August.

@tarheelmatt‌ I guess you could make the mess on a plate, but then you can't call it board sauce.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Here's one we cooked as a roast, then everyone got the thickness they wanted. 3/4" for the ladies, 3" thick for the guys. Board sauce was parsley, evoo, salt, pepper and garlic.
    fil.jpg 87.2K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Never thought of setting the steaks in a board sauce while waiting for the egg to come up to searing temp, but it makes sense since the oil will help with the sear.  

Cook looks great!  (Edited:  I meant the food.  I have never seen the cook! and not my type anyway)
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought APL's technique for board sauce was to slice it right off the grill on the sauce and stir it all around; going against the resting rule.  I'm leary to try it though, fearing it will be bled dry.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @500 - you don't need to immediately slice it after pulling off the grill.  I'd recommend letting it cool a bit first, but either way, all those juices blend into the board sauce and add flavor.
    Options
    I figured the guy knows his stuff, just wondering how y'all have done it.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009