Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE skills continue to improve. Wife unimpressed.

Q. "How was the chicken?"

A. "Good."

I don't have to explain to this group the abundance of qualitative details missing from her response.
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    My toughest critics are my wife and children. 
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Maybe she just likes to set the bar a bit higher so that there's some room for her to be more expressive when you really hit one out of the park.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    She could have said I hate it! what did you season it with? What temp did you pull it at? Was it a whole bird or pieces?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    LOL, EXACTLY, Jim!  See, but you're overthinking it.  ;)
    We'd want to know... how was the spice? can you taste the charcoal? do you like the FOGO better than the BGE lump? it is cooked just right, too little, or too much? can you taste the marinade?  should I make this again?  do you like it better when I slow cook it?  I'm glad you asked, this was frozen chicken, should I buy fresh next time?  Why yes, this was the lump left over from the rib cook last weekend....   
    LBGE/Maryland
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited June 2014
    Was the Egg bought against her better judgement? Those are the kind of answers I would get when I buy something my wife doesn't necessarily approve of.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    When we got our first Egg, my wife was pretty happy w. the successes, altho' not wowed. But the prime reason I bought the Eggs was to improve my ribs, which were favorites for both of us. Soon as I began improving those, her happiness went up.

Anything your wife really likes? Maybe concentrate of that/those.

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    She: How do you like the new (curtains, pillows, whatever)? Me: Good. My wife doesn't like smoke flavor so I'm accustomed to her less than enthusiastic responses.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Divorce her....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    In all seriousness, I was worried my wife would not be game either.  However, now she asks, are you going to cook that on your Egg? 

I do watch the amount of smoke because sometimes I personally don't like a lot of smoke flavor.  She is pretty much the same.  So I cook accordingly. 

Do you cook on the stove much or does she do the cooking?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • KiterTodd
    I do most of the cooking.  She does more "heating" but does handle any of the baking duties.

I think Jethro nailed it.  We both enjoy good food, but I'm much more likely to tech out on appreciating the nuances of flavor and preparation. 

So this was for humor more than anything.  I have made some things that she particularly enjoyed, but when she's neutral on things...wouldn't it be nice to have the detail offered on what was good and what wasn't?  :)  That's asking too much, I know...  

I'm sure some of you have a spouse that errors in the other direction with way TOO MUCH feedback when all you want to do is just fine tune and try different things.  :-?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    JRWhitee said:
    Was the Egg bought against her better judgement? Those are the kind of answers I would get when I buy something my wife doesn't necessarily approve of.
    No...she bought it for me!  :D

Which brings up another funny story...
    I asked for it for Christmas.  Didn't get it.  So, I asked about it as I knew she had looked around for them and her reply was, "those are pretty expensive."
    To which I replied, "they're cheaper than that treadmill which is collecting dust upstairs."

No, I didn't get slapped. 
    But I *did* get the egg for my bday. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    My wife saw what I could do with my gasser.....then the "smoker side attachment".  The Egg for her was a no-brainer.....aside from a couple pieces of dry ass turkey (should'a put the thermometer in it, D'OH), I've cranked out great stuff.
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    at least she eats what you cook on the egg.....my wife will only eat fish or boneless/skinless white meat chicken.....no other meats other than the occasional burger.

so all the pork i do she will not eat.....brisket?  she wont even try a bite of it.....lol....smoked lobster tail?  no way!

and when i do cook a burger for her she wants it so done that it is not cooking it's closer to creating a weapon that you could hurl at an enemy......lol
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
    500 Posts: 3,177

KiterTodd said:

A. "Good."

I don't have to explain to this group the abundance of qualitative details missing from her response.
    Same response I get after a love making session.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • KiterTodd
    This needed a meme...

That's the best I could find with a Google Image search.  Luckily, there are no photos of husbands smiling at their grilling accomplishment with a frowning wife standing beside them.  I mean, who would take that picture?!?  :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    KiterTodd said:

A. "Good."

talk to her doctor..... they have meds that can fix this
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I can see why she'd also not be impressed with you, Todd.  Who grills in a pink button down?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@KiterTodd

A "good" and in her belly is perfect feedback.  Careful what you wish for is my advice.  My wife bought my egg for me - so was she willing or accommodating?

I asked for her feedback and she doesn't like smoke flavor so after numerous attempts to make it better the egg is stationary.  It hasn't been fired up in 2 months (since her last business trip) and not sure when it will see flames again.

If your priority is making her happy you might find yourself cooking on the gasser more despite your opinion that food tastes better off the egg.  So if she eats it without complaint - I wouldn't press it any further.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    BigWader said:

...she doesn't like smoke flavor so after numerous attempts to make it better the egg is stationary.  It hasn't been fired up in 2 months (since her last business trip) and not sure when it will see flames again.

BigWader, have you tried a different lump? Wicked Good, Rockwood and Ozark Oak are all reportedly much less smoky. Also, I have read that cooking without the DFMT results in a less smoky flavor. Maybe that's true as I never use mine and don't notice a lot of smoke flavor, even with Royal Oak. Last, let it burn off the VOCs before adding food to the grid. Try it... what have you got to lose?

You're not using smoke wood, I presume. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Griffin said:
    Bummer. She'll come around. Have you tried getting her involved in the cooks/prep? Her investing her time and energy might help change her attitude. If not, you can always tell her at least you didn't have to cook. Now go do the dishes, Woman!! Ok...maybe skip that last part.
    = couch time. And not the good kind either!

Maybe she's not such a fan of chicken? I cook it every now and then because its an easy, predictable cook, but I consider it to be just a degree above tofu... a non-meat meat. Gateway meat for vegetarians. Extra extra firm tofu. Maybe she would appreciate something else more? Or go out to eat, and once see sees the difference between what you cook and the not so stellar offerings at other places, she'll come around.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Wakefan
    Wakefan Posts: 51
    My wife knows the code: Negative feedback = she cooks the next meal 1 complement = don't cook it again, but thanks for the effort 2 compliments = remix and try again. Good but not great. 3 compliments = continue to amaze. Also works in reverse when she gets a new outfit or haircut...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    KiterTodd said:
    JRWhitee said:
    No...she bought it for me!  :D

Which brings up another funny story...
    I asked for it for Christmas.  Didn't get it.  So, I asked about it as I knew she had looked around for them and her reply was, "those are pretty expensive."
    To which I replied, "they're cheaper than that treadmill which is collecting dust upstairs."

No, I didn't get slapped. 
    But I *did* get the egg for my bday. 
    Brave (or Lucky) guy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    I usually get the same answer from my wife. I love everything that comes off the egg to her its always adequate.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    My wife doesn't cook, so she is pretty impressed with anything I make.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2014
    KiterTodd said:

A. "Good."

I get the same type answers, really annoys the $h1t out of me...!!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    caliking said:
    Griffin said:
    Bummer. She'll come around. Have you tried getting her involved in the cooks/prep? Her investing her time and energy might help change her attitude. If not, you can always tell her at least you didn't have to cook. Now go do the dishes, Woman!! Ok...maybe skip that last part.
    = couch time. And not the good kind either!

Maybe she's not such a fan of chicken? I cook it every now and then because its an easy, predictable cook, but I consider it to be just a degree above tofu... a non-meat meat. Gateway meat for vegetarians.
    I thought the gateway meat was bacon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Not sure what you guys are doing wrong and, whatever it is, it may not have anything to do with the egg but, Mrs.TOTN loves everything I cook; on the egg or otherwise.  B-)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    BREWnQ said:
    I usually get the same answer from my wife. I love everything that comes off the egg to her its always adequate.

That's pretty much how it goes for me. OCCASIONALLY she'll give me a "wow" or "that's really good." Of course, she likes things more "done" than I do.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Not sure what you guys are doing wrong and, whatever it is, it may not have anything to do with the egg but, Mrs.TOTN loves everything I cook; on the egg or otherwise.  B-)

Sounds like you and the Mrs. are on the same wavelength for what you enjoy.  Some wives enjoy cream sauces at restaurants - where the chef uses lots of heavy cream and butter.  Some wives don't like to eat lots of meat as the main dish but prefer it in sauce or as part of something else.

If I cooked like a restaurant chef everyday I'd be heavier than I already am - so I know that some dishes will not be "wow" because they are toned down versions of the full on stuff she likes and others are just not her style (like a nice pork chop with a side of corn and roast potatoes) - she'll love the corn and potatoes and pick at the pork chop because it is just a pork chop.

Now - sous vide lobster tail in butter - that I got a wow for and she'd eat everyday if I would make it. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE