Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feeding 18 soon-to-be BGE lovers this weekend - advice needed

gooddogjudge
gooddogjudge Posts: 106
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
Will a 10 lb Boston Butt, 2 small chickens, lightning green shrimp, mac & cheese, rice casserole and unlimited beer be enough to feed that size crowd (9 couples)?  

Or should I cook 2 Butts?

Boiled peanuts also will be served.

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I would cook 2 butts. You can always hand out leftovers to everyone.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Yes.  Especially if you have generous amounts of the starches.  Have slider rolls for the pulled pork so you don't have a handful of the husbands take a disproportionate amount of it.  The big eaters will be able to go back for seconds if you keep the rolls on the small side.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    I would go with 2 pork butts as well
    Durham, NC
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    10lbs of meat for 20 people plus the sides...you will be fine, and still have leftovers.  That's a half pound of meat per person.  I always calculate 1/3 a pound of meat, plus sides per person...some will eat more, others will eat much less.

How many ladies do you know that can put away a 1/2 lb burger, plus everything else you mentioned?

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    I think u will be fine with that amount of pork, but don't expect any leftovers. If you have the time and room for 2, I'd go for that. If you don't have the 10#er bought, maybe do 2 of similar weights, say 2, 7.5#ers. Your going to have some very happy friends asking about your BGE.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You'll be fine.  Post how much is left over so we can feel like smug know-it-alls (or cads).
    I suggest more beer!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.