Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty Replacement... ugh

So how easy has it been for you guys that needed some warranty replacement stuff done?

I have a firebox that is about 3/4 cracked all the way around, within 1.5 years of use.. Taken out of the base a grand total of maybe 6-7 times.

Now, I find tonight while getting things set from yesterday butt cook, to prepare at spatched chicken and...... my platesetter has turned into two parts. Pulled it out set it on the side tables and.. oh hey.. two of them!

Contacted my dealer the other day about the firebox and was told to just e-mail photos and.... then I guess the ball gets rolling.

I'm in Atlanta Metro, so not far from the home base.

Curious about the process.. I bought it from a small chain pool/grill store, and they move a decent bit of BGE stuff from what I can see.

Just pissed I had to improvise with my plate setter tonight for my chicken.. Had to put grate, PS laying on it, legs up and then another grate to keep the flame from it.
-FATC1TY
Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
LBGE
MiniMax

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I had a small crack in my dome, then a few months later a big crack in the base. Emailed pics to my dealer and stopped in to see him. Three days later he called to say my new Egg was there and I could pick it up whenever I wanted. Pretty painless and great response from dealer.
    jllbms Posts: 381
    If you don't get lightning response, call the Mother Ship. They will approve the replacement, but ultimately it's up to the dealer or distributor to service you. My dealer didn't help me to any great extent. Ultimately, I contacted the distributor with my replacement authorization email from corporate. It took a month to get a replacement base. YMMV.
    Kemah, TX
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Here's to hoping some smaller ticket items unlike a dome or base will move faster..

Seemed easy enough with an e-mail, so hope they say, "Come on in and get your new PS today, and your firebox will be a week or so."
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I took my broken platesetter into my dealer and walked out with a new one. Very painless and great service.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • My plate setter recently cracked, just a crack but it was enough for me to call my dealer and question the warranty... they had me email a few pics, and called me a week later when my new plate setter was in. I didn't even need to take my old plate setter back to them, so I guess I'll keep using it until it breaks completely. 
    St. Louis Barbeque Society certified competition judge

XL and MiniMax
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    FATC1TY said:
    So how easy has it been for you guys that needed some warranty replacement stuff done?

I have a firebox that is about 3/4 cracked all the way around, within 1.5 years of use.. Taken out of the base a grand total of maybe 6-7 times.

Now, I find tonight while getting things set from yesterday butt cook, to prepare at spatched chicken and...... my platesetter has turned into two parts. Pulled it out set it on the side tables and.. oh hey.. two of them!

Contacted my dealer the other day about the firebox and was told to just e-mail photos and.... then I guess the ball gets rolling.

Curious about the process.. I bought it from a small chain pool/grill store, and they move a decent bit of BGE stuff from what I can see.

Just pissed I had to improvise with my plate setter tonight for my chicken.. Had to put grate, PS laying on it, legs up and then another grate to keep the flame from it.

THAT is bummer service! There you are near Hotlanta and are having that issue, but clear up here in Illinois you walk in to my dealer with a problem and walk out with the replacement!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FATC1TY
    RRP said:
    FATC1TY said:

THAT is bummer service! There you are near Hotlanta and are having that issue, but clear up here in Illinois you walk in to my dealer with a problem and walk out with the replacement!
    Perhaps I can take the plate setter in tomorrow after work and see if they will replace it. It's in two parts, so it's no good to me other than laying legs up on a grate as a spacer, which, isn't a bad idea.

The firebox.. I think those are in the box with an egg, so I doubt they break a box open to replace my firebox, and for that, I can understand but... atleast I can use the firebox still.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    No...don't accept an excuse that those are in boxes that they can't open. I've seen my dealer's inventory of replacement parts of rings, fire boxes etc stacked on shelves. Me thinks your dealer wants to blow smoke up customer "skirts" and that is a real shame that corporate doesn't give them a real wedgie until they cry uncle!
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    I recently warranted a plate setter, fire bowl & fire grate. Take multiple pictures on the components INSIDE THE EGG. Don't remove anything. BGE wants to see everything left alone. If you remove the parts for "better photos" they will assume that this was damaged when moved. 

I had ZERO issues with the warranty. All 3 pieces were warranted. 
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Just curious though. I thought the platesetter is only warranted for a year or am I mistaken?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

Just curious though. I thought the platesetter is only warranted for a year or am I mistaken?

The platesetter has a 3 year warranty.
  • jllbms
    My sh&tty dealer told me that the plate setter wasn't warranted, and I didn't know any better. :(
    Kemah, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    jllbms said:

My sh&tty dealer told me that the plate setter wasn't warranted, and I didn't know any better. :(

Still have the broken one? If so, within 3 years? Take it to another dealer.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jllbms
    I could, but having recently received a warranted base, I'll stand pat for a while...
    Kemah, TX
  • bbqjk
    bbqjk Posts: 18
    After one month using my new egg, the gasket started coming loose on both the base and the dome. Called the dealer and two hours later my egg was picked up for gasket replacement, It was delivered two days later with a new gasket installed. Can't say enough good things about my dealer, Bering's Hardware in Houston and also how good the BGE warranty and service is.
    Retired in Houston, Texas  LBGE and MBGE
  • RRP
    edited June 2014
    bbqjk said:
    After one month using my new egg, the gasket started coming loose on both the base and the dome. Called the dealer and two hours later my egg was picked up for gasket replacement, It was delivered two days later with a new gasket installed. Can't say enough good things about my dealer, Bering's Hardware in Houston and also how good the BGE warranty and service is.
    WOWSER!!! THAT is SERVICE! OTOH I have never heard of a dealer who would send someone out to pick up an egg to take back to the shop and then to return it days later with a new gasket. Me thinks you must be ONE SPECIAL customer to that dealer as gasket replacement doesn't need BGE corporate authorization let alone a return to the shop...
  • bdsdnfam
    bdsdnfam Posts: 22
    Just had my dealer out to the house (yesterday) and they replaced the cracked based on my XL.  Three guys and a 1/2 hour later I'm ready to cook!!  They were awesome and it was all done under warranty.  All BGE asked for was a couple pics emailed to them.  Less than a week later and I'm back in business.  Ace Hardware in Farmington, MN is AWESOME!!!!
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    My dealer is moving my LBGE for me from my old rental house to the house I just bought as a perk for my friend buying an LBGE for herself on my recommendation. :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• FATC1TY
    Mine sent pictures to BGE, and is awaiting a reply.. No other offers at the moment, and haven't heard anything.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Egglovin
    Egglovin Posts: 26
    Any luck so far?
    Grilling in Ga
  • FATC1TY
    Nope. No luck so far.

Called to check on Monday and was told no response from big green on my claim from the dealer. I need my platesetter for Thursdays cook with family in town and the dealer didn't seem interested in spotting me a plate setter until it was claimed by big green eggs warranty dept.

Was told to wait until mid week to see if there is a reply or if they shipped my parts to the dealer with their other inventory.

Pretty much sucks. Not impressed with bge or my dealer at the moment but hope that can be changed. Just waiting around!
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    edited June 2014
    @FATC1TY
     If you have a large, you can borrow mine if they don't come through by Thursday.  Let me know.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    As I stated on another thread - I had an AWESOME experience with the Mothership and my local dealer.  Wrote an email to customer service, they responded and asked for photos and name of local dealer, and they sent me an email telling me to bring a copy of the email conversation to my dealer for the claim.  Walked into my dealer showed them the email chain, they handed me a new dome and base and I left my phone number with the email.

First email was sent on a Monday and by Thursday night I had the email confirming the replacement from BGE.  
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• FATC1TY
    Well.. all is good.

Got my firebox and platesetter today. Dealer took care of all of it. Forwarded pictures I took from home on my phone, e-mailed them, they sent it all in, and BGE didn't bother to contact them, and just sent my parts with their BGE order.

Took about a week total time, so not wild fast, but for a no questions asked replacement of two parts, I'm satisfied, and I have my PS for tomorrows cook.

-FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Good news @FATC1TY‌
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • FATC1TY
    Indeed @4Runner .

I was feeling a bit left out in the cold after seeing everyone getting great results for any issues. My dealer has a couple stores locally in the ATL metro area, and figuring they were a larger outfit, and based in ATL it would be easy.

I was right, it was painless and easy and my local joint appreciates my business and I appreciate their help.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • My dogs knocked my platesetter over and cracked it in two pieces. I just got two metal rods that fit across the top of the fire box then place the two halves across the rods. Works great.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Warranty is painless
    Mark Annville, PA