Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I hate my chicken

Options
Seems no matter what I do my chicken comes out with a charcoal kind of bad taste. Today I lit the lump at 1 pm, put the chicken thighs on at 4 pm ( had a longer than expected conference call for work ) at 300 raised indirect with a drip pan pulled them at 180. It just has an off taste. I know chicken is susceptible to smoke do you think it's the brand of lump (royal oak )? I don't have that much choice in lump where I am west of Toronto.
"Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I've been having problems also!image

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Gooey1‌
    It could be a few different things. There is bad lump out there no doubt but I have had good luck with Royal Oak for years in many different types of cookers. I do have a question. Did you put a spacer under your drip pan? If not the scorching of the drippings can impart a bad taste to poultry. Next I find that poultry cooks much better at higher temps in the egg than at lower temps. Remember that's just my opinion and my preferences. I like at least 350. Preferably 400-425. Again that's just me and what I have good luck with so I stick with it. On other cookers that's a whole different ball game and no need to explain it here. Some thing I have been doing as of late when cooking poultry for others is mixing in a little charcoal to mellow out the taste. It does produce a little more ash but I find that most people prefer the taste when I do this. For myself and family I do not trouble with it. It may be some thing that you prefer so try it some time. Again it does mellow the taste a good bit and that may be what you are looking for. Just a note- For poultry I mix in Stubbs not Kingsford. I hope this helps my friend.image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I agree with @sgh on the higher temps. Poultry really does not benefit from cooking at lower temps. Not enough fat to break down. I am a big fan of raised direct around 425* for chicken unless I am goin to baste then I go same temp but indirect with a elevated drip pan. The off or smokey taste is different per each end user. Some people like more smoke than others. How does your other proteins taste?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    Options
    Thanks guys. All the other protein is awesome. I will go with a higher temperature next time. @sgh yes I did have balled up tinfoil as my spacers for the drip pan i also used water in the pan to make sure there would be no burning of the drippings.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    What seasoning are you using? And how are you preping your yard bird? I ask because clearly if you lit at 1PM and put thighs on at 4PM (temp stable) the creosote is long gone. Yes, there are brands of lump more smokey than others. Also the rendering of fat can fume up some bitter taste.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    Do away with the water brother.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Gooey1‌
    You will get much crisper skin without the water.

Status- Standing by.

• Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    Options
    Seasoning is spicy. Suya spice ( ginger onions garlic paprika ect). No more water !
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Again I am with @SGH on no water. If the water is to keep from scorching the drippings (shouldn't scorch with foil balls under it) you can add salt to the pan. I am pretty sure @mickey has posted pics of his drip pan with a layer of salt for his indirect cooks I will say before I get corrected :D:D that his chicken and turkey are always done spatched and raised direct.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Gooy1
    No more water period. It is not necessary in the ceramic cookers. Just my opinion my friend . There are units where it's an advantage but not in the egg .

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Gooey1‌ not what I meant. Do you use oil? Pat dry? When trying to solve an issue like this I would suggest limiting the spices to a simple kosher salt and pepper. Then once you've got it on track for flavor explore other palatable seasoning. Just my .02
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    As others have said, at that temp you are hot smoking.  Expect a lot of smoke flavor.  Go at 400 for 30-40 minutes and you might get the result you are looking for.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    +1 on the higher temperature direct. Also. Order some Rockwood or Ozark Oak for your chicken cooks just to be sure it's not the RO.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @henapple‌ Royal Oak smokey? Say it ain't so >:)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I cook my chickens @ 400 raised direct and they always taste good, I mostly use Royal Oak.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Used royal oak, eh?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @henapple If I saw a sign like that I would have to try it, just because...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    400. Raised direct. Tasted great
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What SGH said.  Hotter fire, less smoke, less time in egg.  Also of course make sure the fire is established, smoke is good.  And if you dry the bird (uncovered, overnight in fridge) and don't add any oil, it'll pick up even less smoke. 

Options
    @henapple‌ Royal Oak smokey? Say it ain't so >:)
    Now get off that soap box!!!!! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim‌ but, it's a comfortable box and I'm able to dodge the smoke from the RO :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Chicken takes smoke very quickly, cook it as hot as you can without burning it and do not use any smoke wood until you get comfortable with the combination of smoke and heat. 
    I found 425-450, indirect with a raised dry drip pan resulted in less smokey cooks.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Is collagen and connective tissue really breaking down on chicken at 400+ for anything bone in before turning into black ash?

His question was about "off" or bad taste due to smoke.  

Gooey1  are you only getting this bad taste with chicken or with some other dishes as well?  

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @allsid

It appears Gooey1 wants a roasted chicken rather than a smoked chicken.  The difference between the two being smokey flavor. 

Google "roast whole chicken recipe" and go down the list viewing the links.  You'll find the oven temperatures are all over 400F. 

Cooking faster keeps the bird from picking up as much smoke from the lump, and the hotter fire will burn off old oil and smoke-generating-stuff better than a cooler fire that you would typically use to smoke.

And he did have a drip pan and said he had aluminum foil ball spacers elevating it from the plate setter (or whatever shield he used). 

I believe a hotter cook will help him achieve the final product he's looking for.  Plus the skin gets nice and crispy.   I hope whatever he does, he doesn't hate his chicken.

Options
    Again I am with @SGH on no water. If the water is to keep from scorching the drippings (shouldn't scorch with foil balls under it) you can add salt to the pan. I am pretty sure @mickey has posted pics of his drip pan with a layer of salt for his indirect cooks I will say before I get corrected :D:D that his chicken and turkey are always done spatched and raised direct.

Lose the indirect. Go 400 raised direct and all problems fixed. When the few times I cook indirect (turbo ribs, turbo pulled pork) I use a salt filled pan. Just don't want the water in my egg.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.