Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How often?

I am seriously considering purchasing a BGE to mostly replace my gas grill that requires me to replace burners every season. They are the universal burners and do not last. Very cheap and poorly made replacement parts. 

My question is-How often do you use your BGE? Do you fire it up to cook a few hamburgers or steaks? Do you only use it to cook low and slow for ribs or a pork butt? 

1 Large BGE 2 Extra Large BGE 1Kamado Joe Jr. 1 36”Blackstone griddle 1 The Good One The Marshall

Comments

• Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    3 to 4 times a week in the summer easy.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    5-6 in summer and winter 5-6, only day off Saturday because I'm nursing a hangover.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• On another forum, @FanofFanboys told me he used his 5 to 7 times a week. Even though his praise is what helped lead me to pull the trigger on buying my large, I thought he was exaggerating and that no one would use it that much. I was wrong and now find myself using mine as much as possible...even during the winter I'm good for 4 to 5 times a week. 
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • oh an I use it for everything from low and slow stuff, to burgers, tri-tips, pizza, dutch oven chili..plus the wife uses it for baking cornbread, pies, cookies, breads...
    Battle Ground, WA
  • KJWILD
    KJWILD Posts: 95
    I am new and just on my third cook; however, I anticipate cooking at a minimum of 3 times per week on the BGE. The taste and quality of the food it produces has thus far been second to none. I have not experienced any problems with temp. Control. I simply fire it up, wait about 10 minutes, close the lid and watch the temp. rise. Once it is close to my preferred temp. I start dialing her down with small adjustments to the top and bottom vents.
    Husband, Father, Grandfather and Chef of the Home Front. XL BGE- purchased on 5/28/2014
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited June 2014
    On another forum, @FanofFanboys told me he used his 5 to 7 times a week. Even though his praise is what helped lead me to pull the trigger on buying my large, I thought he was exaggerating and that no one would use it that much. I was wrong and now find myself using mine as much as possible...even during the winter I'm good for 4 to 5 times a week. 
    @sodigthisbigcruxha happy to see you on here. I am no longer on that other forum unfortunately. issue with a mod. still had time left on my blue too. but could not agree so my account there was deactivated
    Boom
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I'll fire mine up for a single hot dog. Buy one you'll love it.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    When I'm not working I use mine daily. Even if I have another cooker going there is always some thing that needs a high direct heat and this is where the egg shines. Unless I run out of money I will always have a ceramic cooker in my arsenal. Just my thoughts my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Like others have replied - at least 4 nights a week during the spring summer and fall PLUS at least 2 lunches or breakfasts also those weeks - let alone make ahead snacks like ABTs . Then in the winter months to combat cabin fever I honestly still egg at least 4 times a week. Even in the snow and bitter cold! Eggers may sound nuts to you up front, but once you convert you will never go back to that crappy gasser! There is a whole NEW WORLD out there...trust me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I go in spurts. There are times that I will fire one of the eggs up 7 days a week and then there are times when I do good to fire em up 2 times a week. I will say that cooking on the egg has really sparked my interest in cooking period, whether it's outside over fire or inside on the big silver clock. I owe that to all the fine cooks on this forum. I see all the neat pics and cool creations these guys are making and it turns into a challenge to create an equally appeasing meal.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • On another forum, @FanofFanboys told me he used his 5 to 7 times a week. Even though his praise is what helped lead me to pull the trigger on buying my large, I thought he was exaggerating and that no one would use it that much. I was wrong and now find myself using mine as much as possible...even during the winter I'm good for 4 to 5 times a week. 
    @sodigthisbigcruxha happy to see you on here. I am no longer on that other forum unfortunately. issue with a mod. still had time left on my blue too. but could not agree so my account there was deactivated
    I've wondered where you've been. That's a bummer, but not surprising. considering how some of the mods can be. Anyhow, don't want to drag other forum drama here..perhaps you, me and @SickEyeDiaz can have a what cookin' off topic MMA thread here for the next fights. Be well, man!
    Battle Ground, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    I'm fortunate here in FL use on average 3-5 days per week including weekends (year round). Sometimes less if my "on call" work gets busy. I use it for everything from simple burgers & dogs, fish, baking, pizza, low and slow of course, etc etc.
    I had a decent gasser that I would have to rebuild and replace burners almost annually due to corrosion and I kept it covered. The BGE is an excellent unit. And then you have the forum support. It's a true passion for me to try new things on it. I like to have guests over and it's a fun gathering with great food, drink and conversation. IMO it's a purchase you wouldn't regret.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    One of the best things I've found about the BGE is that there are plenty of folks on here that can tell you how to cook anything...such a great forum to listen, learn, and share...Therefore you'll want to cook everything....the pics of cooks on here are great, too bad we couldn't smell and taste....
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    5-6 nights a week in summer, 4-5 nights a week in winter, like mentioned above, I love any reason to fire up my egg!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Whenever I can. I was just told to slow down as our freezers and fridge are too full.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    DMW said:

Whenever I can. I was just told to slow down as our freezers and fridge are too full.

Lol. +1 I've got enough PP for a week :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    2 or 3 times a week lately.  But we cook a lot more than that.
    4-5 days a week, hamburgers, grilled chicken, steaks usually do low and slows on the weekend. I grilled pork chops tonight.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokeytheEGG
    SmokeytheEGG Posts: 149
    4 cooks per week.
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Average of 3 cooks per week. Fired up my xl tonight to cook 2 ribeyes.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Last winter was 2-3 times a week. I have no A/C so egging will increase to about five times a week this summer. Maybe more because we eat out a lot, but the eating out is starting to decrease. The more I use the egg, the better the food taste. The better the food taste the less we go out.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    even though my wife is super sensitive to smoke she prefers I cook on it so the oven doesn't heat up the house
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    3-4 times a week with a  combination of hot and fast cooks.....steaks, burgers, chicken breasts.....and low and slows.  The thing that has been most impressive to me is not how it does at the low and slows which was expected, but how great it is on the hot and fast cooks that you would normally use a gasser for.  There is absolutely no comparison.  You won't regret it in my opinion.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I use the egg at least two times a week, sometimes four or five times. 
    The gasser sees duty at least once a week. 
    Universal burners are useless. I'm on the third burner, second flavorwave on my 12 year old Broil King. It is on its second pair of tanks! OEM replacement parts, they last. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    I bought my LBGE a year ago. I couldnt be happier with it. I still have a big Vermont Castings gasser, but rarely use it now. The food cooked on the Egg just comes out so much moister and tastier, there's just no comparison. From low and slow to an 800* sear on a big thick ribeye! I don't think it gets any better. I cook on mine 5-6 times a week. You will not regret buying one!!
    GWN
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Oh, and by the way, any questions you may have along the way about Egging, will happily be answered, and advice offered by the fellow Eggheads here on the forum. Makes the whole experience of learning to use your Egg a lot of fun.
    GWN
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    I can only do 3-4 nights a week - year round here in SoCal.  The leftovers are so good, I can't let them go to waste.  Tonight I finished the salmon leftovers from monday.  Many times things are better the next day.  Working on the Egg your taste buds lose sensitivity to the smoke.  It adds another layer of flavor the next day.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I use mine most weekends and some weeknights depending on my schedule. But, I would never consider going back to gas at this point. There is just so much more you can do with an egg; and I haven't found anything that a gas grill can do better. Loving the egg.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    On another forum, @FanofFanboys told me he used his 5 to 7 times a week. Even though his praise is what helped lead me to pull the trigger on buying my large, I thought he was exaggerating and that no one would use it that much. I was wrong and now find myself using mine as much as possible...even during the winter I'm good for 4 to 5 times a week. 
    I've wondered where you've been. That's a bummer, but not surprising. considering how some of the mods can be. Anyhow, don't want to drag other forum drama here..perhaps you, me and @SickEyeDiaz can have a what cookin' off topic MMA thread here for the next fights. Be well, man!
    @FanofFanboys man, I can't believe out of all the dimwits that should get booted out of the UG, they did that to you! ****...

@sodigthisbigcrux Let's do it!