Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Lesson Learned

Options
This weekend I did a single rack of spare ribs.. My third one. The first two turned out fantastic and it only stands to reason that as I perfect my technique I learn a lesson or two.

I decided that I was going to do two things
1) Put a pan of water under the ribs
2) Spritz them with some apple cider vinegar/oil combo
3) Sauce them when wrapping in foil.

I did 2-2-1 (actually a 2-2-2). During the unfoiled phase I flipped them after the first hour and saw that they were really moist and lots of liquid was present. More so than usual. Perhaps it was the water pan?

The end result?? Somewhere along the line there was too much liquid. There was no bark and it was almost like they were steamed and BARELY held together after cutting.

Oh well.. lesson learned. I guess I will just have to try again. Next time I think I'll skip the water pan and go easy on saucing while in foil. No pics this time, which is probably for the best.
Lubbock, TX
Large BGE

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience.  I have done several racks of BB, but tonight I'm doing my first rack of spares.  Wasn't planning on using a water pan, and now definitely wont.  Not planning on wrapping them either.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• boboegg
    boboegg Posts: 46
    Options
    First, the egg is designed so you don't need a water pan. Second, anytime you foil, you lose the bark because of the steaming that goes on. You added to that by adding juice. The last stage should be done without foil to let the sauce solidify.
    LBGE, Lawrenceville, GA
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    No foil, no water pan, 250 for 3 hrs. check with bend test if close to done sauce for 30 mins. for baby backs. 6 hrs for st. Louis cut spares.
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    Ktim said:
    No foil, no water pan, 250 for 3 hrs. check with bend test if close to done sauce for 30 mins. for baby backs. 6 hrs for st. Louis cut spares.
      ^ this
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options

I've been egging for a couple of years now and baby backs are common in my house.  So out of curiosity, I tried this 2-2-1 method last weekend for the first time.  They were the most tender, fall-off-the-bone ribs I've ever made.  And that was the problem:  By the time I took them out of the foil pouch they were falling apart, literally.  Oh, I was apologetic and explained that it was a different technique, needed to adjust my times a little, etc.  They were damn tasty though. The ladies of the house think that's the way good ribs are supposed to be, to which I felt the necessity to educate them a little, but really if they like it that way then maybe it was a complete success.

So perhaps next time I'll go with less time in foil (I had two full racks on LGBE w/ hickory chunk), or maybe I'll just go back to a standard BBQ.  It's the journey...

Strongsville, OH

• wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    I don't know what I was thinking.. I just thought I would tinker and try something new. Next time I may experiment without foiling. Would unfoiled spares at 265 really take 6 hours? That seems awful long.

Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    you could probably get them done in under 6 hours at that temp but it's just a safe number to allow yourself enough time.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    wpendlegg said:
    I don't know what I was thinking.. I just thought I would tinker and try something new. Next time I may experiment without foiling. Would unfoiled spares at 265 really take 6 hours? That seems awful long.

6 hours is the long end at 250*. I would guess 5 to 5 1/2 at 265.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I did "set it and forget it" SPARES on memorial day.  Went dome temp around 270 and after 4.5 hours I sauced them.  Pulled after 30 mins with sauce - so total cook time of 5 hours.  This was the first time I skipped the foil and skipped the spritz step.  Definitely a different end product as the meat does not fall off the bone . . but easy and turned out very good!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    That looks great. Good stuff everyone. I guess it stands to reason that skipping "the crutch" step means it's going to take longer to cook. Adding on an hour to two hours doesn't sound unreasonable.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Excellent pic of ribs and cook... Ok, now for dinner....
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    @wpendlegg - As long as you are open to experimenting, try what is called Turbo Ribs.  Simple and you will be VERY hard put to tell them from Low and Slow.  Prepare and rub as usual.  Egg at 350 for 1:45 or so, sauce for 20 minutes (if you like to sauce).  Every time I do them, they are acclaimed as the best ribs ever by my guests.  And, 2 hours vs 5 is really nice.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Wpenlegg, I tried turbos once and they were nowhere near my L&S. I did everything the same except for the temperature. I may try again modifying a few things or I may just stick to what I usually do which is L&S. I wonder how so many people on here say they get the same results and then many others like me think there is no comparison. I cook my ribs at 225 degrees. I foil if I'm serving my wife and other women but no foil if I'm cooking for men. Women tend to like to be able to eat their ribs with a fork and remove the meat in large chunks with minimal effort. My BB's usually take about 5hrs and my Spares 6hrs at 225 degrees.   
    Dearborn MI
  • Pitmansevensix
    Options
    When you decide to NOT foil, do you do anything special to keep them from drying out?  I have been using the 2-2-1 method on BBs, and although my wife loves them, I want bark, more Memphis style I guess.  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

When you decide to NOT foil, do you do anything special to keep them from drying out?  I have been using the 2-2-1 method on BBs, and although my wife loves them, I want bark, more Memphis style I guess.  

Don't undercook and don't overcook them. Dry ribs is a symptom of one of those.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    No foil, no spritz, no girly bs. 250-300 for about 5 hrs. Sauce a few min before they are done.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Pitmansevensix, I'm pretty selective on my ribs and if possible I like to pick each slab individually. I know what I like in a slab and don't find them to be dry. I like picking them at an old fashioned meat market where they are all on display and the counter help doesn't mind showing you each one as you decide. I look for nice even streaks of fat throughout, no large tracts of lean meat or clumps of fat and of course no shiners. I am guilty of buying the cryovaced 3 packs at Costco when I have to but prefer to see each slab I choose when possible. Same reason I like Spares better than BB's, more fat, more flavor, harder tot dry out. I rub one hour before especially if there is salt in the rub, no overnights etc which I feel can draw moisture out of the ribs. Leave them at room temperature for that hour while preparing the smoker. If you feel better get yourself a spray bottle and mix apple juice, water, and apple cider vinegar and spritz the ribs. If you like foil keep foiling, Harry Soo foils and he is a very well respected Pit Master winning many awards.  
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Pitman, also try just foiling for an hour and see how you like it. Try a 3-1-30-30
    Dearborn MI
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    What Travisstrick said:)  I'm old school too......
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario