Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Meatoaf

Options
GATABITES
GATABITES Posts: 1,260
edited June 2014 in Beef
I made meatloaf yesterday for the first time on the egg. If you havent tried this cook yet you are missing a treat. My family LOVED it. Just a few pics to prove it happened. 

I didnt measure the ingredients - I just eyed it

275-300 indirect
2lbs ground chuck
1lb italian sausage
peach wood for smoke
green peppers
onion powder
cow lick on the meat
Killer Hogs on the loaf
glazed with sweet baby rays

AMAZIN!!!! Nice smoke flavor!!! 

This was so good I want to sell it!! LOL

imageimage
XL BGE 
Joe JR 
Baltimore, MD

Comments

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Very nicely done indeed! One thing you did but didn't mention, was make two. Always make double what you think you'll need because this is so good people won't stop eating. The first time I made it I got up the next day and found my wife having it for breakfast it is that good. Yours looks so good I came close to licking the screen of my iPad!!
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks really good.  My kind a recipe...nice and simple with minimal measuring ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATABITES
    edited June 2014
    Options
    thanks fellas!!! 

@jfm0830 - This was Sunday's dinner. I am so glad i made 2. We are having the rest for dinner tonight. 

@smokeypittI figured as much seasoning we do to the larger cuts, it cant be too hard to not over season. 

I wish I could email you guys a slice just to try it out. I am proud of my loafs. LOL
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    @GATABITES‌ just be careful of one thing. You can easily overdo the smoke. Ground meat absorbs a lot of smoke, so tread lightly on the amount of smoke you use.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks good. I didn't put enough bread crumbs in my last one, but it was still good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @GATABITES‌
    That recipe is pretty close to one I use except I use oak wood. Oak is abundant on my property so that's what I mostly use. Your meat loaf looks excellent to say the least my friend. Well done brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GATABITES
    Options
    Looks good. I didn't put enough bread crumbs in my last one, but it was still good.
    Dam, i for got add that i used a cup of bread crumbs. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    Options
    SGH said:
    @GATABITES‌ That recipe is pretty close to one I use except I use oak wood. Oak is abundant on my property so that's what I mostly use. Your meat loaf looks excellent to say the least my friend. Well done brother.
    I only used about 2 smaller peach chunks. The smoke is definately mild compared to oak. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    That looks....awesome.  I'm going to have to try it now.  I've come to prefer pulverized saltines as an alternative to bread crumbs.  They tend to be finer and have a lot of absorption/binding power.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @GATABITES‌
    Believe this or not I use partially rotted oak when I don't want a real heavy smoke flavor. It works like a charm my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Just curious to know if you found the smoke flavor to be more intense with the leftovers. That has been my experience in the past.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌ - It was smokey but not overwhelming. I only used a couple small chucks of peach; which didnt over power the loaf. I know hickory would have been too much on this cook.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD