Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt FTC is NOT Required

Really, it's not. It seems like everyone is planning their butt/shoulder cooks around some mythical mandatory time in a cooler and IT IS JUST NOT NECESSARY. Pork butts/shoulders do not need to "rest", so the only reason to FTC is if the meat is done before you are ready to eat. Honest... it's TRUE!

Sometimes, I dig in while it's still on the grid!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yep, its there to give a buffer if needed, that's all.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Completely agree. Hell, half the stuff people do to their Boston Butts is completely un-necessary. Not wrong, mind you, just not needed.

I go turbo and it takes about 5 hours. Let it rest a few minutes and pull. Juicy and tasty every time. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited June 2014
    Being a difficult cook to time, I always finish early. Plus it empties the egg for other things. I don't think ftc hurts in any way.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    henapple said:
    Being a difficult cook to time, I always finish early. Plus it empties the egg for other things. I don't think ftc hurts in any way.
    For sure hard to time! Didn't mean to imply that FTC isn't helpful sometimes. Or that it hurts. I just get the impression that some seem to think that it is required. It is not.You don't have to plan for time in the cooler. If it's ready and you're ready...EAT!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I know from doing brisky's I thought it would help. I didn't FTC I let it rest in a foil covered pan that way I could pull right as everybody was ready to eat. Definitely don't wanna pull early.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
     "If it's ready and you're ready...EAT!"   That's how I plan it! 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
     "If it's ready and you're ready...EAT!"   That's how I plan it! 

^:)^ =D> :D
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Wait, so I haven't been doing it wrong all along?!
    I use foil for two reasons on my butts. One to sped up the cooking time if I misjudged or have a stubborn butt on a L&S and  FTC while finishing cooking other dishes to be served at the same time.  
    Dearborn MI
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

I find it much easier to pull while it's hot and all the collagen is still liquified - right when I take it off the grill.  Not that it's not hot after FTC, but it's easier right then.
    NOLA
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    I've FTC for up to 4hrs and still was too hot to pull by hand and pulled like butter. I know many would argue but I feel that's to doing at 225 degrees and not high heat. The collagen is perfectly rendered after the long cooks. I do use a cooler just slightly large enough to hold the meat though. Small soft coolers work the best in my opinion.
    Dearborn MI
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    +1 Michael. Good to bring up.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I don't plan for a long FTC either, Michael.  Some guys get so caught up with doing things over the top for nothing.  Great to bring to others attention. 

I have thought about posting about the same old question, "cooking a butt at 225° how long?".  For some reason I cringe.  I constantly tell them they are off by at 100-125° lol. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    edited June 2014
    unless im serving a really big crowd i like the beer coolers being opened and the pork served late
    :D when there really is a big crowd though the ftc is a great method
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Foil only if meat beats the party start time.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx