Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chile semi-pesto turkey burgers

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
I don't know what the real name for this is, but I call it semi pesto - basically basil, garlic, EVOO, salt. Kinda like pesto, without the parm and pine nuts.

Decided to kick this batch up a notch by adding a red chile and some Slap Ya Mama Hot.

I think that was a pound of ground turkey (or whatever one Costco pack/pouch weighs) and a tablespoon or so of the semi-pesto.

Made up the patties and threw them on the small (which was having a perspiration issue). Indirect, about 425°Fish I think. Flipped and pulled when the IT was about 150°. My burger flipping skills suck.

Sorry, but no plated shots since we were starving. I can never get enough garlic, and these were garlicky and hot - just the way I like them. Will definitely be repeated. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    Options
    I don't believe it is your flipping skills as much as just the turkey burger being its usual sticky self.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    good looking turkey burger. thanks for sharing.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • caliking
    Options
    Auburntgr said:

I don't believe it is your flipping skills as much as just the turkey burger being its usual sticky self.

The meat almost pasty it was ground so fine. Tasted good though!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That's a good lookin turkey burger 4sho! My wife would love that! Bookmarked. Thanks 4 sharing.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    Options
    @caliking‌ Here is a recent cook I did with the same costco finely ground turkey paste. Freezing the Turkey patties helped a little with them staying together during the cook. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166209/a-walk-on-the-lighter-side#latest
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @caliking‌
    No matter what you call it that looks incredible my friend. Going to give that a try my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Well, you did it wrong. Let me tell you how it should be done.....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @henapple - if you don't mind a suggestion, please tell us how to make the most awesomest burger. =))

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @caliking that is a really good looking turkey burger. I've been playing with different flavors on ground turkey and will be trying this soon

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Ya turkey tends to suck at flipping. The semi pesto looks interesting, I made some pesto a few nights ago and lacked pine nuts so I used soy nuts. Was different but good.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• caliking
    Options
    @henapple - wait, let me get my barrel of PBR first.

@Mattman3969‌ & Tuttle 873 - if you like garlic, this mix is great. Tried it on scallops recently and it was terrific. Very simple, and we have lots of basil in the yard.

@Auburntgr‌ - good tip. We like turkey burgers, so I'll give that a try.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Hmmm... Wondering if starting the burgers on frogmats and flipping them all at once and peeling the frogmats off after flipping would work?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    Options
    @DMW - freaking brilliant! I tend to use my frogmat for fish only and completely missed that it would work great for this application.