Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winner, winner, spatchcock chicken dinner!!

Options
jhl192
jhl192 Posts: 1,006
Did a 7 pounder Perdue oven stuffer roaster, spatchcock direct at 375.  First time with Dizzy's Tsunami Spin!  Also flipped to the skin side down for the last 15 minutes to crisp the skin.  Pulled it when the breast got to 165.  Wow!!  A new favorite rub for chicken!  Wife also loved it.  Her two favorite rubs are now Dizzy's Raging River on Salmon and Tsunami Spin on chicken.  I could eat that everyday/.  Not sure I have ever had better!  Sorry, no pictures but they would not have done it justice anyway.  This forum needs taste -eat-moticons!  
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    That's a serious bird.  Well done.  Did you manage to flip it without it coming apart?  I've been trying to do the flip with smaller chickens and I'm about 50/50 with completing the flip intact.  Maybe I need to do it a little earlier in the cook before the thighs are ready to come off.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    (:| no pics? Guess it didn't happen. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    jerryb78 said:
    That's a serious bird.  Well done.  Did you manage to flip it without it coming apart?  I've been trying to do the flip with smaller chickens and I'm about 50/50 with completing the flip intact.  Maybe I need to do it a little earlier in the cook before the thighs are ready to come off.

my guess is that you are over cooking the bird, if it's falling a part.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Did you cook indirect with place setter? How long did it take?
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    jerryb78 said:

my guess is that you are over cooking the bird, if it's falling a part.
    I've been finding that the legs are getting done faster than the breast, which is one of the reason I've started trying to flip it.  The legs are pretty forgiving to overcooking so the results have still been good.  I just need to work on my timing a little bit with a few more runs.  It might also have something to do with my technique when cutting out the back, which I'm going to keep an eye on.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I was going to say that it looked excellent my friend but I can't see it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    SGH said:

I was going to say that it looked excellent my friend but I can't see it.

>:) 1st rule. Pics or it didn't happen.
    Fight Club: The 8 Rules.: http://youtu.be/vJMC_S-DB2I
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DougA
    DougA Posts: 12
    Options
    First time I didn't flip and then yesterday I tried the flip. I doubt if I flip again. Indirect with place setter down at 375 on both cooks. The meat was the same, the skin was better with no flip.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @DougA‌ if you have a way of trying raised direct try it. Once you do you'll likely not go back. FWIW. Search raised direct for references.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Ninja chicken. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DougA
    DougA Posts: 12
    Options
    A little new with my BGE, raised with an AR or fire bricks above the gasket?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Either
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    henapple said:

Ninja chicken. ..

:-?? Ninja chicken which came first the egg or the Ninja? ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sounds great. I just spatched one for tomorrow night. Letting it dry overnight in the fridge on a cooling rack on a tray. This will dry the skin so it gets nice and crispy without needing to flip.

Also, take the back, neck, and any gibblets if they are included and simmer them in a pot with some salt and pepper for a few hours. Drain, cool, and skim and you have nice chicken stock. If you don't need it, freeze it til you do.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    Options
    I have had better luck with cooking the chicken breast down and then flipping after the first 15 or 20 minutes for a crispier chicken. It is easier to flip at the beginning than the end.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I had been spatchcocking smaller birds indirect but decided to go raised direct for this bird. Indirects have been great but I couldn't crisp the skin. Cooked it for 1:10 (125 degrees in the breast) and then flipped it with a spatula and large tongs. One leg almost fell off. Maybe it was the size of the bird but the breast and legs and wings were all perfect. No pictures so when I wake tomorrow I may be hungry!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE