Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest or table?

Options

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    I know tables are nice and I've seen some really great setups.
    But, I have two BGE's both in nests.  It makes it very easy to move them around. Sometime I roll them from under the patio to an open area or to different locations in my yard depending on weather conditions. If I had them in a table it would be too staionary for my needs.
    I love the nest!
    I do the same thing.....but I have a table.  It can be done as long as you have wheels. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited June 2014
    Options
    jerryb78 said:
    You could always buy the nest and use it while you fix up your table or get a new one.  I imagine that you could sell the nest in a year for about whatever you pay for it now.
    Only thing to consider is since I bought the Egg alone, I got $200 off the price ($260 if you count the "package," i.e., starter, ash tool, etc.) since I knew I was going to build a table for it, which basically covered the cost to build my table.  I can't imagine someone paying $200 for a nest secondhand, but I could be wrong.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    MCN - Didn't you build that table last year? 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I may have found a SS table that I may get. The only thing is I don't know how deep it is to hold my XL, it has no back and will need be beefed up to handle eggs weight. What are your thoughts? They are asking $175.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ grab that joker up! Find a fab shop that can do SS welding and cuts. You'll be golden! Very nice indeed.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Why use a table or nest when you can have this? http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150236/video-review-the-grill-barrow/p1 :D
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ they'll have to put some support beams in for girth. Would highly advise stout casters. The rest is all in the imagination. Having no back really isn't that big of deal in my mind unless your shooting for a very finished look. FWIW
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Not trying to jump in on y'all's thread but after seeing it I got to say your table is impressive to say the least. That is beyond nice brother. I know this is being nosy but I got to ask what does one like that cost. I would love one if not out of my range.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ I'll PM ya ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Thank you sir.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

I may have found a SS table that I may get. The only thing is I don't know how deep it is to hold my XL, it has no back and will need be beefed up to handle eggs weight. What are your thoughts? They are asking $175.

I'd be on that like stink on sh.....even just for storage.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Table!
    Gittin' there...
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Nest!
    Gittin' there...
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    No...errrr

Table!
    Gittin' there...
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ they'll have to put some support beams in for girth. Would highly advise stout casters. The rest is all in the imagination. Having no back really isn't that big of deal in my mind unless your shooting for a very finished look. FWIW

The only reason for a back is to keep mice out of it and making nest. It needs to be at least what 28" deep to hold an XL?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Bought two of these olive drab military surplus tables for 20 bucks.  Sanded and painted with high temp green and black bbq paint.  Usually put down a single piece of foil for the grease, sauce, and set hot stuff from the egg directly on them. 

The table folds flat for camping.  They are built like a tank at 15lbs, would take a nice gust to knock them down.  Used to have a big custom, clunky table.  Never going back, it's nice to be mobile.  I have two mini cooking stations on the patio right now.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/military-issue-unique-items-odds-and-ends/metal-folding-table.html

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ I have LBGE and I'm not sure of XL dimensions. Mine is 30"D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'd be on that like stink on sh.....even just for storage.

+1 Go buy that now before someone else does. If the dimensions won't work to fit your XL, lots of other stuff you could do with it for that price. Would be perfect for prep space if you have room to put it with whatever egg setup you have now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ $175 without seeing it up close and not even knowing the dimensions is a fair price. Using the SUV as a P.O.R. I'd guess 60" or so L x 30"W (30" is pretty standard on prep tables in my experience). For the back that is wide open»»»if it bothers ya have fab guy tack in a solid piece of SS. Which will add a lot of rigidity. Get it while the gettins good.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ $175 without seeing it up close and not even knowing the dimensions is a fair price. Using the SUV as a P.O.R. I'd guess 60" or so L x 30"W (30" is pretty standard on prep tables in my experience). For the back that is wide open»»»if it bothers ya have fab guy tack in a solid piece of SS. Which will add a lot of rigidity. Get it while the gettins good.

I'm going to call the guy in the morning. If I can't use it for the egg it would be great to have as a prep table. If I get it I will be posting pics. From what I see on line it is a great bargain.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    MCN - Didn't you build that table last year? 
    @fred19flintstone

Around a year or two, I have some of the supports and the frame I did not seal and it has really been beat up in the elements. I don't think the wood is actually rotted over just a year, but it has started to lean and I can't have it fall or shift.  That could be catastrophic to the eggs.

XLBGE 
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    NPHuskerFL and DMW, the owner emailed me back and is going to measure it and get back to me in the morning, so he still has it. The holes I the top aren't real big and shouldn't be problem to work around. I think I know of a welding shop and may check with them about making it work for my egg table or last resort a prep table. :D

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ It looks to have 2 catch pan slots. Not sure what the 2 round holes are. But, a good fab guy will have no problem stitching it in.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    The wife may not like it, but I think it is to good to pass up. I bet he has the back panels for it too.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My table with 5" cast iron and rubber tread wheels will navigate cobble stones, break-your-mother's-back cracks and potholes better than the stock nest with tiny wheels.  

Point is, does it have wheels and how big are they relative to the terrain you're navigating? 
    Options
    I bought mine back in April with a nest and was planning on building a table when my life slowed down. So far I think I've changed my mind. With the side tables and the folding table I used when cooking on my WSM I think I'm good. I also have very little garage space and the nest is perfect for storage as well. The only addition I may add one  day is building custom side table tops out of cutting board material to increase the effectiveness.   
    Dearborn MI
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Much happier with being able to travel easy and move to any configuration with Nests. ((((( Buy Handlers Please)))). Prep table from SAMs. Be sure and get Handlers. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ladeback69
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ It looks to have 2 catch pan slots. Not sure what the 2 round holes are. But, a good fab guy will have no problem stitching it in.
    The guy still has it and says it is 22" deep, 3' tall and 6' long.  I am going to look at it today and taking money with me.  It was a computer cabinet for his old pizza business.  
    Its not big enough for the egg, but will make a great prep cabinet when I close in the back.  I hope that doesn't cost to much.  I am going to put it on locking casters so I can roll it around.  I will be keeping my egg in its nest now.  I may get a handler for it next to move it around better.  Should I offer less then $175, that's a good buy to me from what I have seen on lone?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ the price is subjective. Go look at it and make an offer if it suits your needs. Keep in mind a prep table with holes is fine if your utilizing the catch pans. But, if you think you'll need to pay for mods I'd hold off for a table you can use both for your egg and a prep table. Just my opinion and you know what those are like. 22" is shallow even for a prep table. Like I said most prep tables are a standard 30".
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Offer $100 and settle somewhere in between. Take some $5 bills with you so you have change.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.