Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Natural charcoal for the BBQ BGE Circuit?

Options
Over the years many of us have traveled globally and perhaps have seen street vendors using natural coal for their BBQ/cooking units.  India/Pakistan come to mind.

Anyone have Eggsperience for this fuel type?  

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What is the difference Mr Richard in that and what we use?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited June 2014
    Options
    All lump charcoal is natural.  I use it 3-4 times every week, though not in a global circuit, just in my backyard.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just be sure you don't use the lab fabricated stuff.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You are saying charcoal and not coal, correct?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Richard Fl
    Is this what you are talking about? If so it's not worth a flip in the Kamado style cookers. Why? Way to much ash and doesn't get to as high of a temp as lump. It's no different than the Kingsford blue in how it performs. Actually I prefer the taste that the blue imparts over the taste of the comp briquettes. Just my opinion my friend.imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Mia Culpa.  I put "charcoal" in the subject line..

Thanks for the input BUT you'll missed the point-NATURAL COAL- like from the mines in PA and West VA.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Thanks for the input BUT you'll missed the point-NATURAL COAL- like from the mines in PA and West VA.

In India coal is used in urban areas by folks who can't afford LPG/CNG. Wood tends to be burned more in rural areas. I read about a guy who brought some coal back from a trip to India, and have thought about trying it too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ive burnt coal in the winter in the egg, more for lighting the lump but have had some in there for pizzas. i heat with coal and its hard to have a low fire going if the temps are under 55 degrees out, i try not to light the coal stove til the weathers below 55 for several days. kind of wonder if it would just be for hot temps in india verse low and slows or if there is a manual fan device like in a forge for keeping the fire hot. might also be that the coal in india is soft compared to the anthracite in the states
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Indian cuisine doesn't have much low and slow cooking. Most folks don't eat beef, and the folks who do, usually braise it in some way. Likewise for pork. Some dishes are cooked on low heat for long periods by lighting a small fire or  a small amount of coal. Young goats are are eaten in larger quantities, but don't have the kind of fat/collagen that needs to be low and slow cooked. The coal used is usually burnt in open stoves or grills which just get b@lls-to-the wall hot - not much scope for temp control or restricting air flow.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    caliking said:
    Indian cuisine doesn't have much low and slow cooking. Most folks don't eat beef, and the folks who do, usually braise it in some way. Likewise for pork. Some dishes are cooked on low heat for long periods by lighting a small fire or  a small amount of coal. Young goats are are eaten in larger quantities, but don't have the kind of fat/collagen that needs to be low and slow cooked. The coal used is usually burnt in open stoves or grills which just get b@lls-to-the wall hot - not much scope for temp control or restricting air flow.
    pretty much my thoughts on it, the fire needs to be hot and banked fairly deep, its pretty difficult to keep a small amount lit and keep the heat low.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    In a competition cook we do mix some Kingsford in also. Most times they are a sponsor and if you win then bingo more money
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Cremon
    Cremon Posts: 21
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Mickey said:
    You are saying charcoal and not coal, correct?
    Coal is carbon and burns at a much higher temperature.  It also produces very sooty black smoke that will render anything heated on it unfit for consumption. Coal is only for fueling power plants and steam locomotive engines.  Natural charcoal is made from wood and that's why it comes in all shapes and sizes.  Burns with far less ash and is cleaner and won't put odd flavors in your food.  I will not burn anything BUT natural charcoal in my Green Egg and I am a real newbie here.  
    Here's a link showing the great Alton Brown cooking skirt steak directly on hardwood charcoal.  I fully intend to try this some time.   Incidentally I have that same Looftlighter he uses and it is awesome.  http://bit.ly/ABSteakOnCoals

Marietta, GA

Big Green Egg XL, 
    Cheap char grill for quick grilling
    110,000 BTU outdoor propane burner with an 18" Chinese wok.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Certainly they wouldn't be cooking in an egg style fashion with coal. I could see using it if the smoke never touched the food like how a wood stove works. Coal smoke is nasty.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Hey @richard_FL as @Cremon‌ has explained - you only 'think' you saw people cooking on real bonafide coal. Thanks for clearing that up @Cremon‌ :-w
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Cremon
    Cremon Posts: 21
    Options
    Anthracite coal is used in some pizza ovens to attain temperatures over 1000 degrees but the fumes don't get near the pizza and it's the highest grade that is used in ovens specifically made for that.  Remember that coal is basically solidified mineral crude oil. 

You wouldn't want to cook food by burning crude oil under it and it can be toxic.  And coal burns at over 1000 degrees F.  If you were to use it in a green egg, aside from all the reasons above, the intense heat could crack your egg.  

I did a few searches and this question gets asked a lot.  And the answer is always the same - don't do it.  The coal would have to be in a sealed firebox where the smoke and fumes were vented away from the food.  Your meat would probably taste like motor oil if it wasn't.
    Marietta, GA

Big Green Egg XL, 
    Cheap char grill for quick grilling
    110,000 BTU outdoor propane burner with an 18" Chinese wok.