Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend cooks

Thought I'd post a few pictures of this weekend's cooks. Did wings on Friday night. 1/2 were tossed with Frank's Red Hot sauce and 1/2 with Frank's Sweet Chili sauce. Sat. night was cedar planked salmon with grilled sweet potatoes. Tonight will be USDA prime brisket with fried okra and twice baked taters.

Will be spending part of the day at our town's annual street fair. Held on the Yonge Street; the longest street in the world!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Wings done at about 350* raised, direct. I pulled the skin off of the drumettes.

Coated the sweet potatoes with some evoo and pineapple head. Salmon has dijon mustard topped with brown sugar

Brisket trimmed

Put the brisket on at 1:00am. This is what it looks like about 7hrs. in. I can see that I didn't get all of my peppercorns properly ground but, it was late last night when I ground them and I'd had a few drinks through the evening so I didn't really care

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Oh man this all looks amazing !!

I was going to message you as I put out some smoked salmon , crackers cream cheese and your Candied Jalapenos .
    I was bummed out because your jalapenos trumped my home made smoked salmon by far .
    Everyone raved about them .

Toronto
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Oh man this all looks amazing !!

I was going to message you as I put out some smoked salmon , crackers cream cheese and your Candied Jalapenos .
    I was bummed out because your jalapenos trumped my home made smoked salmon by far .
    Everyone raved about them .

I appreciate the compliment! Looking forward to eating this brisket later today.

Had some of your peppers the other night... they're delicious, but, not quite as hot as I was expecting. I was eating then straight out of the jar!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Yeah they are not that hot, You can use diffrent peppers to get that heat but I like the flavor of them as I can sit there and eat a whole jar .
    I have used Jalapenos and they probably have the heat you are looking for .
    I am going to blend some of them and make a sauce.

Your brisket looks delicious !!

i am going to my brother in Laws bbq this afternoon and he cooked a brisket that i know i will have to pretend to like ... so I may stop by your place after .
    Toronto
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    I should tell your BIL about my meat guy!  :D
    Well done! Looks like you've eaten well all weekend!
  • pantsypants
    haha I gave him the brisket , but what I did not give him is the gassser that he cooked it on .

Toronto
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    hapster said:
    Well done! Looks like you've eaten well all weekend!
    Around here that's part of what weekends are for... making up for all the healthy eating we do during the week!
    Finished up the brisket around 4:00; ftc'd until dinner about 6:00. Brisket turned out great.

Scene from out street fair. Luckily, we were there before the larger afternoon crowds.

Brisket ready to pull around 4:00pm.

Good eats!

Brisket looks amazing !!
    Toronto
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice view! Brisket and taters look decent to.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Brisket looks amazing !!
    How was the brisket at your bil's?
    It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. He smoked it on a kettle for a few hours and then moved it the gasser. It was cooked well and having a prime packer could hurt either .
    Toronto
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌
    All I can say is wow!! :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Sounds like a wonderful weekend!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I'm rude. How much was the brisket per lb?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    edited June 2014
    @BYS1981, not rude at all. However, I get them from another forum member who imports them as part of his business so it's a much better price than what's available at the store. Not to mention the fact that it's USDA Prime. I'm not even sure what the going price for Canadian brisket is these days.
    Choice Packers are  $4.99 a lb around here in Toronto .I have never seen prime packers around here and would only imagine that they would be $7 a lb 
    Toronto
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Choice Packers are  $4.99 a lb around here in Toronto .I have never seen prime packers around here and would only imagine that they would be $7 a lb 
    Wow! I'm getting a great deal then.
    yeah you are but nevermind the price . You would be hard pressed to find USDA Prime full packers here .

The quality of brikset you ate last night is some of the best you can get ... minus all this wagyu stuff I see from SF . but i was quoted $12 a lb on a wagyu brisket .
    These Prime ones are more that fine for me
    :D
    Toronto
  • Good eats indeed!
    Flint, Michigan
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I'm not sure I can even get prime brisket.. I have a difficult enough time finding choice brisket, I have found one place that sells packers. I checked local grocery stores, most don't even carry brisket packers, most carry flats - if at all. And then they're $6/lb lol. I can get a packer for $3.39/lb.
  • pantsypants
    BYS1981 said:
    I'm not sure I can even get prime brisket.. I have a difficult enough time finding choice brisket, I have found one place that sells packers. I checked local grocery stores, most don't even carry brisket packers, most carry flats - if at all. And then they're $6/lb lol. I can get a packer for $3.39/lb.

where do you live ?

Toronto
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    BYS1981 said:

where do you live ?

From his forum image, I'm guessing out on the west coast.
    yes we dont get many raider fans  around here .....
    Toronto
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    AA is usually 3.50 / lbs in Kitchener, ON. Last year they had Choice CAB on sale for 2.50/lb but they never had that sale since.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    You ate like a king this weekend, that's for sure. Nice.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Griffin said:
    You ate like a king this weekend, that's for sure. Nice.
    ... and I didn't even post about some test cooks I did in preparation for next week's Toronto Eggfest!
    I'm in the bay area, about 45 minutes north of SFC. @pantsypants‌ and @TexanOfTheNorth‌
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    That's also known as Raider Nation!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.