Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soul Restoration...

2»

Comments

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited May 2014
    Well... no video of the first start up tonight as I ended up having more work to do before I could even begin reassembling the carbs. ← link to YouTube video

Add to that the fact that some of the parts from the parts kit didn't fit and needed to be modified... wish I had known before about that "known problem." Also, I had promised my Son that I'd take him to see Captain America The Winter Soldier so I had to cut the day short (in retrospect I'm glad I did as we had a pretty good night out just the two of us).

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I like a guy that rebuilds carbs with a 16oz claw hammer near buy.  =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Parallel
    edited May 2014
    bud812 said:
    I like a guy that rebuilds carbs with a 16oz claw hammer near buy.  =))
    Had to tap that file into the hole somehow.  ;)

• Parallel
    edited May 2014
    Finally! Now I need to get the proper fittings for the new petcocks and I should be able to try starting it.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    The devil is in the details. And you've got some beautiful details on this bike. Lookin' great man!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    wow, its amazing that you can share the stories with your kids about the trials and tribulations you went through from start to finish on this bike. You can probably write a book on the past. I know it must be very rewarding to get this coming around. I pray for your family and hope all is well. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Parallel
    edited May 2014

• Parallel
    Hmmm... let's try again.

I still have some work to do before it's running right as I have a float issue or something similar (gas ran out of the carb when the petcock was on without the motor running). Then I need to rejet these carbs to get the right fuel air mixture right and finally I'll need to synch them up. Before I can take it for a test ride I need to install the new throttle cable and the new clutch cable (here's to hoping there's nothing wrong with the transmission). Also, The choke lever needs a polymer bushing and the ball and springs for the detents. The rest is just a matter of spit and polish and bolting the parts back on

IT'S ALIVE! Well... Sort Of.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Awesome!  Sounds like you are on the home stretch.  I have really enjoyed following this and I can't wait to see footage of the first ride.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Parallel
    edited May 2014
    I'm aware that many of you are probably growing weary of my public pity party. However, I believe that it's nearly over with this latest bit of inspiration. So... if you'd be so kind as to indulge me for just a bit longer we can wrap this up. :D

As most of you know my Sister and I lost our Dad this past Christmas. His passing brought back many emotions that I thought I had put behind me long ago. There was a time in which I had resentment in my heart for my Dad over some of the things that he did (or did NOT do) after he and our Mother got divorced. When I married Mrs Parallel she convinced me that nothing is more important than family and that led to my Dad and I repairing our once fractured relationship. My Dad and I would talk at least once a week and often we would talk for hours. Sometimes those conversations could be described as talking about nothing, but not always. We did have opportunities to discuss things of substance about many subjects and we did so often. Most importantly we discussed in an oblique manner the resentment that I felt and his reasons for his actions. I had determined that no matter his past mistakes he was my Dad and I Loved him no matter what.

In the days after his death I learned some things about my Dad that I didn't know, and that knowledge made me reexamine my criticism of him. For one thing, my own growth as a man and my acknowledgement of the flaws in my own character has allowed me to see things through his eyes more than when I was younger. For the past few months I've spend a LOT of time out in my garage restoring Dad's vintage Yamaha. This time has also allowed me to reflect upon all of those emotions that had returned and I am glad that they have. This time... I have truly found peace with the past and can fully Love and Respect my Dad in the manner he deserves. Last night I was up late reflecting upon this new found understanding and... I was inspired.

• Parallel
    I got a call from my Aunt all choked up and crying because I referenced her. As I've told her before; by instilling God's grace in me she has given me the capacity to understand and forgive, which is a gift I could never repay.

• Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Grace and forgiveness are powerful.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Wow. Beautiful poem. Am I the only one who selfishly hopes there are pictures of a tranny rebuild coming our way? You've done such a wonderful job with everything else so far!! ;)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260

I didn't have much of a relationship with my father; as he passed when I was 18. I definitely understand how you feel. I never had the chance to speak to my dad as an adult - as I would have wanted reconciliation for the pinned up emotions I had as well. I am glad you have made peace with your father and his memory. I often think about what that conversation would have been like with mine. I found that his lack of presence in my life forced me to learn how to be a man on my own; which I am growing into everyday. I made some pretty dumb decisions in my past, but i turned out ok. This experience has made me more focused on my family, especially since I had my first child (son) was born in 2013. I never want him to feel the way I did growing up up not knowing my father and not knowing why. This life is a journey and we don't always have the answers. I am so happy to read this thread as it provides a sense of comfort that I will be able to forgive too. 

thanks for sharing man. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    @Parallel You and I have been walking the same road for many months. I lost my dad last year as well and have been dealing and reflecting on some of the same issues as you have. It's very sad that sometimes in life reflection and forgiveness often come to late to share with the loved one. I wish in so many ways that my father and I had spoken about many untouched issues. We spoke about lots of stuff from our past but there were many things left unsaid. My father was gone a lot when I was younger as he was a coast to coast truck driver for many years and wasn't there to help me grow into the person he thought I should be. He grew up in a similar relationship with his father being in the Navy so he probably had no idea how to deal with his emotions. I have learned a lot of things about my dad over the last year from friends and family that I never knew. Thank you for sharing your story and healing process with us! It is comforting to know that others have walked the road I am on!!

Thank you brother
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    i love your quote @georgeS
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GeorgeS
    @GATABITES‌ Thank you! Food is one thing we all need and I use it profusely to gather my family together. It's a great way to keep people from dropping off the radar and we all have to eat right? It may as well be in good company over a great meal!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Parallel
    edited August 2014
    I was having some trouble getting parts needed to fix the issues with the Mikuini MK2 carbs that I bought and rebuilt for this project. Then I came upon a solution that I wish I had known existed from the start. There is a company out there called Spec II that takes modern Mikuni carburetors and adapts them for vintage bikes. Then they tune the carbs specifically for those bikes for optimum performance. I pulled the trigger on a set of three of these and they have come in. I'm hoping to find time this holiday weekend to install them, so look for an update soon with a video of her running.

• GeorgeS
    Nice find! I was wondering where you went and how this turned out.
  • It's ALIVE!

Video LINK of start up with the new SPEC II tuned Mikuni VM34 Round Slide Carburetors installed.

• Kickass. Open a window if you do that much more indoors, brother. Congrats, sir.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    When's the first ride?
    Dunedin, FL
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    =D>

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    \m/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.