Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron skillet pizza help

Options
pretzelb
pretzelb Posts: 158
I need some advice on time and temp for pizza in a cast iron skillet. I just made my second one and it was terrible. The crust was very burned on the bottom. I did 500 degrees and every 10: minutes I would peek and rotate. I cooked for 30 minutes. At 20 it looked fine but I kept going thinking the toppings needed more time. I think another issue was my sauce was too thin or I used too much. I'm wondering if 450 might have been better or maybe higher and less time.
XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Were you direct or indirect? When I do CI pan pizzas I go indirect, CI pan on cooking grid, platesetter underneath, around 425*-450*, depending on how thick I've made the pie.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options
    +1 indirect 425℉-450℉ dome. In addition I've also done that + raised grid indirect which seemed to help with the toppings a little bit. @DMW‌ do you or have you ever went raised grid indirect c.i. pan? To be honest I haven't made pizza period for like 3-4 months I believe. Which is sort of funny because I have dough balls already made up sitting in the deep freeze. Maybe on Sunday if I don't get slammed with service calls.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @pretzelb‌...and one other important question. Did you make the dough or is it from a grocery store etc? Store bought dough tends to have a good amount of sugar. You're baking at a lower temp than on a stone say at 650℉-750℉. Although you're only rolling at 425℉-450℉ the c.i. will be much hotter than what you think. Just something to consider. Sugar will help with browning but, unfortunately will also cause premature burning.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL I have only done indirect CI pizza. The first time I put the CI pan directly on the platesetter legs down, which resulted in a burnt crust. After that, PS legs up, cooking grid, CI pan on the grid. 

Now I'm jonesing for a pan pizza...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @DMW‌...me too! totally!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    I tried again using some feedback from here and the results were much better (it couldn't get any worse) but we still need to adjust some things. 

This time I used the generic dough recipe found on the BGE site. I found it very tasty so I think we will stick with that. We used a sauce in a jar which wasn't that great and a blend of Italian cheese that I think was also mediocre. Then I added pepperoni. I had some left over dough so I threw it into a pan to make some bread. I added corn meal to the skillet and it really helped the pizza slide right out.

The method was 450 with plate setter feet up and grate on top. Then the CI went on grate. I did 5 minutes then turned the skillet 45 degrees. Total time was 19 minutes. I might have been able to do 25 but I didn't want to push it this time. 

Next time we look at different sauce and cheese. 
    imageimageimageimage
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Kenji on Seriouseats.com has a "Foolproof Pan Pizza"  recipe which is deep dish cooked in a cast iron skillet. I have not done it (it is on my list), but I have found his recipes to be spot on.  His cook temp is 550, it would definitely be an indirect cook with the PS.  Might want to check it out.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Well, I HAVE done it. Worked great! Actually, as I recall, I did this one in my oven, but an indirect cook in the egg set up like this would work fine....

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Drooling»»» Yup ya nailed it Michael!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Oh Yeah!  Looks awesome, moved it ahead on my list!  Kenji seems to get it right before he posts.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    Oh Yeah!  Looks awesome, moved it ahead on my list!  Kenji seems to get it right before he posts.
    Yeah, he's pretty good. Nice guy too. Very helpful when I've emailed him. May be a bit slow at the moment as he's in the middle  of a move from Harlem to San Fran. Still with Serious Eats though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Drooling»»» Yup ya nailed it Michael!
    Thanks, Blake. Needed a bit more sauce for that much dough, but was still pretty good. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Now...I've never been a fan of pan pizza (preferring traditional NY/NJ thin crust)...but cast iron pizza on the BGE...THAT LOOKS AWESOME!

Thanks for teaching me something new to cook!  Mmmmmm....can't wait to try it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I'm not sure what's wrong. Try this-

(not a plug, just helping an EGGer)

u.JPG 438.4K
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Very Nice.  I always reference this classic deep dish post.  Worked for me.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Use the recipe and set up in the post linked above by @NDG (with due props to @Zippylip for the original).  It is fantastic.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Most time when people are having problems with pizza, its a result of using the wrong temperature for the type of dough they are using. Not sure what dough you are using, but fot he kind we use for CI Skillet Pizzas, we cook at 425F and it takes 30-35 minutes..

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings