Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wire cooking grate or cast iron?

Options
What do you guys like to use best? I have been using the standard wire grate with my egg for the last two years. I just got a good deal on a cast iron grate so I am going to give that a try. I guess the CI will be better for grilling and the wire will be fine for low and slow smoking.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SS works for me. When I really care about a good sear I use a cast iron skillet or griddle.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I have both. My CI has cracked in two places, probably due to high heat. It's less than 6 months old too.

I use the CI for most all cooks, especially when I'm searing.

Today for the heck of it, I used the SS grid for smoking a BB. For no other reason than I figured less surface area for stuff to stick to.

-FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    I really like me CI grid, used for all cooks except sub 300's and that's only because I have an XL and it won't sit on the plate setter
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I use SS grids that came with my XL AR. I use my large CI for searing with the spider only. No reason other than using what I have.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    I have both. My CI has cracked in two places, probably due to high heat. It's less than 6 months old too.

I use the CI for most all cooks, especially when I'm searing.

Today for the heck of it, I used the SS grid for smoking a BB. For no other reason than I figured less surface area for stuff to stick to.

My CI had cracked in a couple places as well, BGE covered it under warranty, but my new one did it as well, so I just ride with it now, it doesn't affect the cook or use for me.  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I like them both but I do find I use the wire grid more especially when doing long, low n slow cooks cause the guru temp clamp grabs better on it.   For searing, I prefer a CI skillet, works great and gives perfect coverage for an even sear.
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I use the CI grid on both my small and large 98% of the time.  Great results always...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.