Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt question - Help needed

Options
I am doing a butt. Got it to 165 then wrapped it to 195. Uncovered, basted, and put back on uncovered. Temp has now dropped to 171. Is this right?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Sounds like you may have gotten a reading at the bone?

You wrapped it and kept it on right?

Probably user error.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    ^ sounds like one or more of your readings wasn't quite spot on. Probe in a few different places.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Yes that is common. I see it when I wrap beef and then unwrap to reduce liquids for different cooks. I think it is because you have let all the juices release from the meat therefore some of heat is gone too. Double check your temp in several spots to be sure. You will want the probe to have the resistance of warm buttah when u pull it off the egg.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I am doing a butt. Got it to 165 then wrapped it to 195. Uncovered, basted, and put back on uncovered. Temp has now dropped to 171. Is this right?
    It's not uncommon for the temp to drop, though not usually that much. No idea what foiling or basting does to a butt. I've never done either. I just put mine on and don't touch 'em til they're done. The bone comment might be the answer, or a fat pocket. Just move the probe and see what happens.

Pull the butt when the probe can be inserted with no resistance. Check several places. Or the bone can be pulled out easily. As for temp, 195° is just a guide. Tenderness is the deciding factor.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Just leave it wrapped next time. Shred and pour some of liquid gold over it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I think you hit a fat pocket or bone. How long was the foil from 165-195?
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    Miked - I don't remember how long it was. The whole cook for a 7# at 250 was 10 hours. Came out great but this is a forgiving piece of meat. I am trying to figure out a best method for an ameatur competition and was trying a foil wrap.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.