Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

picking an egg

Options
Chris
Chris Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am interested in an egg. Finances are steering me towards the small egg. Can you cook a couple pork butts on a small? Any small egg owner's with advise. Don't worry I am sure you know it is not the size of the egg, but the quality of the meat the comes out

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Chris,
    You can indeed cook two pork butts on the small, but if there is any way you can swing a medium or large, you will probably thank yourself in the long run. If you do get a small Egg, Old Dave is probably the expert and is very helpful in teaching folks how to cook on the small.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Chris,
    Knowing that a large is a stretch for a lot of newbies not knowing what is about to happen but, I would offer a suggestion. Hold off, save and get the large. After nearly seven years as an owner and a participant on this forum we hear, frequently after the fact, "I should have gotten the large." There certainally is no sin attached to starting with what ever size you can afford and get going. Because, at some point in the future YOU WIlL BUY a second, third and maybe a fouth Egg. My vote is always go for the biggest. My first was a large and my second was a Mini. Some day I'm going to "win a raffle" over at my dealers place and come home with a medium. ;>)

• Chris, "Don't worry I am sure you know it is not the size of the egg, but the quality of the meat the comes out" [p]Theres a joke in there somewhere, I can just feel it!![p]Seriously, get the large egg. Little more money but you will use it for many years to come.[p]Hugh Jass
    aka Van[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Chris,
    perhaps if we knew a bit more about you we could better guide you. For instance how many will you be cooking for on a regular basis? How often will you be cooking? Do you entertain much? Are you looking to cook the whole gamut of meats including pizzas for instance?[p]Nearly six years ago I came to this board just like you and asked people for direction. In fact I ended up emailing 24 eggers based on profile data. Though there are only two of us I ended with a large, but soon found it gets in your blood and now I have four eggs.[p]One thing to remember this purchase is "forever" so don't try to cost justify over two or three years - instead it will be something that you should be able to pass to your heirs! Stretch yourself and you'll be glad you did!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Snowman
    Options
    Chris,
    I own a medium and It works great for most anything that I have wanted to do including multiple pork butts,ribs, etc. I will be purchasing a large sometime in the spring or early summer mainly because I want to be able to cook at 2 diff temps at once and because I don't really want to cut my racks of babybacks in half. Don't get me wrong, I love my medium but in hindsight I would have started with the large. HTH Jason

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    RRP,
    An old Egg has that well used and love black "patena" to it doesn't it? [p]One butt is easy, I guess you could do two. The problem would be something like steaks for more than a couple people.[p]I'll go against the grain and say if finances are the issue then get the small. You'll start your kittie fund for a large or medium shortly after.

• Snowman,[p]I have owned (and heavily used) a large BGE at my home for a few years now and suddenly I found myself on the road traveling in an RV. Out of sheer indulgence and/or addiction I found myself craving a new smaller egg that I could travel with. I never even considered a mini, having convinced myself it was simply too small, and I wresteled myself over a small (for portability) and a medium (for volume) wherewith I finally decided on the medium.[p]I have never regretted my decision.[p]Although a bit more costly to purchase and a bit more cumbersome to travel with, the volume gained for dollars and agony spent will certainly pay off in the long run. I wholeheartedly recommend the largest egg you can justify to yourself. The longrange payoff is very rewarding.