Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Lump OMG

Options

Well I just cleaned out the medium this afternoon and can ya believe I found 3 ROCKS!!! One can only imagine my dismay! for a short time I was very concerned! but after a second of thought I quickly remembered the last 4 cooks and remembered how good they were with no bad smoke taste. Still waiting for a bag of some other lump so I can compare it to the oh so bad Royal Oak! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I document and collect mine. When I hit 17.7 lbs, ten years from now, I going to give Royal Oak a call and give them piece of my mind. :-c
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've found rocks in every brand of lump I've used, RO, BGE, WGWW, Wegmans, ForestLump, Cowboy. Lump is not produced and packaged in a sterile clean room. Rocks and stuff are expected.
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I've only found a few rocks using RO. Biggest worry for me is if one explodes and cracks one of the components in the egg. Other than that no big deal. Can't remember the post, but somebody posted that the lump they purchased(don't know the brand) had other man made foreign objects like plastic mixed in it. Now that's something that is a big concern to me. Like I said, if the rock doesn't explode, no big deal.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I doubt that rocks in a bag of lump will have enough moisture to explode.  They were probably in the lump in the kiln and are now "kiln dried" rocks.  :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Most of the rocks I've found have been pretty crumbly.  I don't worry about it too much.

Of course, I also avoid royal oak.  Fogo, Rockwood, and OO FTW.

NOLA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Meh, at least it wasn't plywood, fiberglass, or metal bands which I found in my short experiment with Cowboy.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I started with cowboy and switched to RO. That was a huge upgrade. I just got some Ozark oak online and will never willingly go back. I wish I had better choices of lump in my area, but at least I can get OO online for free shipping.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    I've never noticed any rocks in my Royal Oak lump, but then again I don't really look all that hard.
    My only bad experience with lump has been the Wicked brand, but in fairness I have only tried one bag... but it made it real easy to go back to the RO brand.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • geoff7877
    geoff7877 Posts: 35
    Options
    I've found rocks in every brand of lump. I usually use lazzarri cause it's local and readily available. And doesn't RO make BGE lump?
    Petaluma, CA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    mcmac said:
    I've never noticed any rocks in my Royal Oak lump, but then again I don't really look all that hard.
    My only bad experience with lump has been the Wicked brand, but in fairness I have only tried one bag... but it made it real easy to go back to the RO brand.
    If the bad experience with WGWW was a year or so ago, you might want to retry it. I think their business expanded too quickly at the expense of producing a crappy product. As of two months ago, it is back to one of the best out there, IMHO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I was being a bit of a Turd last night and being facetious about all of the negative post about Royal Oak, I have been using it for 8 years and I like it very much. It's reasonably priced can be bought almost anywhere. Yes I have found rocks, insulation and pieces that are not completely turned into coal, giant pieces and little pieces. I throw out the pieces that are not completely baked enough as they will smoke for a long time. Sorry to stir the Turd but I couldn't help myself!!! :)>-

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    I found a carbonized cigarette box in a bag of RO once. Rocks seem common but not chronic for me.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited May 2014
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options

Been using a new brand "OG Kush" in the eggs.  Burns clean, less VOCs(lol), and big nugs.

Don't be afraid to sniff this sh!t from the dome hole. 

No longer do I ****, moan, and whine about finding a rock.

I will never go back to RO.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I want to be involved with anything that involves "big nugs" and something I can "sniff from the dome hole". 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    Options
    I started with cowboy and switched to RO. That was a huge upgrade. I just got some Ozark oak online and will never willingly go back. I wish I had better choices of lump in my area, but at least I can get OO online for free shipping.
    @xiphoid007 where are you finding OO online w/ Free shipping?

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Firecraft.com if you order $100 or more.
    NOLA
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Firecraft.com if you order $100 or more.

I like this
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Yep. As said above. Firecraft. I ordered 10 bags, $10 and change a bag.

Delivered in just a couple days. I was surprised in that the bags weren't trashed/crushed .
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Wonder if he uses RO on his "grill"?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bbqjk
    bbqjk Posts: 18
    Options
    Been using RO(USA) and BGE lump in my new BGE. Can't see anything wrong with RO. Have used other lumps (OO,FOGO) in my previous cookers and they were ok too. So far I've gone through 4 large bags of RO with the new BGE and no rocks, no junk, just lump. Size was good and very little dust. BTW, the RO is $12.97 / 17.6# bag at Home Depot, plus tax. Not a bad price based upon what I've seen. Paid $12.97 / 17.6# bag on Amazon Prime plus tax in April , but now is $28,54 plus tax, so watch out for their pricing shenanigans. I'll just keep going to Home Depot I think.
    Retired in Houston, Texas  LBGE and MBGE
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    mcmac said:
    If the bad experience with WGWW was a year or so ago, you might want to retry it. I think their business expanded too quickly at the expense of producing a crappy product. As of two months ago, it is back to one of the best out there, IMHO. 

I used to like WW, but it's gotten worse, not better. Nails in the wood, rocks, and while I can get past the first two, the amount of dust and small particles was building up. Between 2 bags, I had 5 pounds of dust and shards that you couldnt even attempt to burn up.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Haley
    Haley Posts: 29
    Options
    I have found more rocks in BGE Lump than Royal Oak. I use both and have great results. You will find rocks in ALL LUMP
  • henapple
    Options
    'au contraire mon frere' ...no rocks in OO and I've been through around 700 lbs.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    henapple said:

'au contraire mon frere' ...no rocks in OO and I've been through around 700 lbs.

He speaks French as well. The wonders never cease.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    Options
    Google baby, google. If it's on the Internet it must be true.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Royal Oak.  Lights easy, no bad odor, and lasts a long time.  Maybe it might disappoint me in the future, but right now it simply works well and it is reasonably priced.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I like RO, I have found two rocks in all my time using it......
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I just picked up some Rockwood yesterday and am burning through the rest of my RO, then cleaning out to try it soon.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.