Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket today...

radamo
radamo Posts: 373
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
Got myself a 6 lb flat and will be giving my all to turn it into a great meal.  Started with straight kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Got the egg rolling to about 235 grid and put the brisket on.

After about 1 hour holding at 235 and the meat up to 113.  After 2 hours my grid was 232 and the meat up to 138.  

My plan is to wrap in HD foil at 165 and bump the temps up to about 300. Once she is in the 200 range I will probe until tender.  Then will FTC for at least an hour.  Went with dry drip pan on a few nuts on the platesetter. 

Wish me luck.  Hoping to get this right (and keep it juicy)...

Long Island, NY

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Here's to good luck and wrestling the flat.  Foiling will likely produce at least a double or better but soften the bark.  Flats are a fun cook-about all I can get around here for most of the year.  The journey is the best part for me, probably since the outcome is such a crap-shoot!  Enjoy the eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • radamo
    Thanks @lousubcap!  I am on the fence about the foil but I keep reading that it is best for flats since it helps keep them moist.  What do I know??? So this time I will foil and see how it comes out. 
    Long Island, NY
  • radamo
    After 4 hours... grid at 232 and briskie at 151.
    Long Island, NY
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I'm in the no foil camp. I like the bark and foiling at 165℉ you're pushing through the stall so you could end up being a bit tough because the connecting tissue needs that time to break down. IMO and ya know what those are worth. Good luck :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • radamo
    Think I am in the stall in the 150's... it is now 6 hours and it the grid snuck up to 250 but the meat is at 153. 
    Long Island, NY
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Why ramp up the heat once foiled? Time constraints?  Flats can be tough to get right every time. I inject mine and then foiled at 165 and pull around 200. FTC for at least a half hour but preferably an hour. Never had a dry flat since I started using foil and injection. My family requests me to make them and my sister in law says mine was the best Brisket she ever had. I use the brisket injection from howtobbqright.com
    Dearborn MI
  • radamo
    Ken, I was under the impression (not sure if right or wrong) that it kept moister by ramping up at the end. What temp do you keep your egg at?
    Long Island, NY
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Actually just got my egg in April and still in a transition period. Been using a WSM for the past 9 years and always cooked in the foil at the same temperature as the smoke. That's why I asked I was wondering if I was missing something.
    Dearborn MI