Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: It's official!!

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Long day yesterday...left San Antonio at 7:30am and we didn't finish up till 8pm. We signed our contract and our new home should be completed around Nov/Dec in Katy, TX. :D

Back story, we were in the middle of building a new home in Cibolo, TX and were set to close at the end of the month. About 3 weeks ago, my wife was encouraged to apply for a vacated AVP position at her Houston office. She was selected :) , so we obviously had to pull out of the contract. We had about 8k invested in the house, and there was a lot of concern that we would lose some of that money. We chose the same builder in Katy, and we're grateful that they will be able to transfer the full amount to the Houston office. :D

I'm a lil sad about leaving San Antonio, but I ultimately feel it will be a good change since I've been in San Antonio as long as I can remember. It doesn't hurt that the wifey will be frying alot more bacon and will be winning at bread! :P
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice! Good luck with the move and your wife's new position. Glad to hear you didn't lose anything. I'm sure it helped having selected the same builder.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Great news, sounds like the pieces are falling into place, hope they continue to do so - moving is never easy on families..... and when it comes right down to it, whats a couple of hundred miles in a state the size of Texas?
    Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    cazzy,

Congratulations on the events.

If I can offer one piece of advice, it would be to get flood insurance and talk to an agent about what is called excess insurance if the NFIP does not cover the home's value.

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• cazzy

Great news, sounds like the pieces are falling into place, hope they continue to do so - moving is never easy on families..... and when it comes right down to it, whats a couple of hundred miles in a state the size of Texas?

Good luck!
    Yeah skiddy...they are. We were going to have to fund our move to San Antonio, but now all of that is being covered by her Relo Package. We're getting packers, movers and they will store what we're not taking to the apartment and move it to the final destination, once completed. They also are providing us with a lump sum to cover temporary housing and will be covering closing. The finance company was also providing us with 1.5% towards closing, but they're going to allow us to use that to buy down our interest rate.

It definitely is all falling into place. :D
  • cazzy
    nolan8v said:

cazzy,

Congratulations on the events.

If I can offer one piece of advice, it would be to get flood insurance and talk to an agent about what is called excess insurance if the NFIP does not cover the home's value.

Thanks for the advice! Definitely not looking forward to the expected insurance increase.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @cazzy-It wouldn't be right if I didn't offer "If you have your choice between lucky and good, take lucky every time".  Congrats to SWMBO and you for the opportunities.  Always fun to look at new chances for adventures, better than the routine!  Enjoy!!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    First Congrats to wife and her new position.  Sorry you will be leaving SA but Katy aint a bad place to live.  Are you going to be south of 10 and west of 99.....lots of nice hoods over there.  Was in Houston last week and notice a new Costco at 99 and 10 had opened.
    'Canes won't be a problem in Katy, but wind damage will.  Last 'cane that came Galveston I saw lots of fence damage, but on the newer houses very little roof damage.   
    If you find a good TexMex eating place let me know.   I always take 99 to Westpark to go to our Houston office.
    Agree with nolan8v make sure you have good insurance on the house that covers everything.  Have lots relatives in Houston area and flooding is their major concern.
    BTW when gully washer hits water rises fast...like Olmos- Basse basin.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Congrats on the new pad Cazzy! Sometimes things work out for the best. Sounds like all the planets and stars aligned for ya in this one. Awesome the wifey landed a new position too. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy

First Congrats to wife and her new position.  Sorry you will be leaving SA but Katy aint a bad place to live.  Are you going to be south of 10 and west of 99.....lots of nice hoods over there.  Was in Houston last week and notice a new Costco at 99 and 10 had opened.

'Canes won't be a problem in Katy, but wind damage will.  Last 'cane that came Galveston I saw lots of fence damage, but on the newer houses very little roof damage.   
    If you find a good TexMex eating place let me know.   I always take 99 to Westpark to go to our Houston office.
    Agree with nolan8v make sure you have good insurance on the house that covers everything.  Have lots relatives in Houston area and flooding is their major concern.
    BTW when gully washer hits water rises fast...like Olmos- Basse basin.
    Yes...I think. Lol We will be in Cinco Ranch. I certainly will and thanks for the info on the weather. Definitely a concern in the back of my head.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I wouldn't wish living in Texas on my worst enemy..

Haha congrats.
  • Congrats cazzy!
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Wooho! We're going to be neighbors of sorts. I see free photography lessons in my future :)

Congrats, dude.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Congrats @cazzy and good luck with everything.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • cazzy
    caliking said:

Wooho! We're going to be neighbors of sorts. I see free photography lessons in my future :)

Congrats, dude.

Lol. Where abouts is your castle?

• caliking
    I'm in Pearland. A bit of a hike from Katy, but not terrible. Let me know when you're in town next time.

• bbqjk
    bbqjk Posts: 18

I live in west Houston (Memorial) and want to extend a warm welcome to you and your family. Have only been egging for a short time, but loving it very much. Have lived in Houston for 30 years and really enjoy it, although less humidity would be nice in the summer. The rest of the year is swell though.

Best of luck to you and yours.

Retired in Houston, Texas  LBGE and MBGE
  • cazzy
    caliking said:

I'm in Pearland. A bit of a hike from Katy, but not terrible. Let me know when you're in town next time.

So how do you like Killen's Barbecue?
  • Zuma
    Zuma Posts: 50
    Congrats on all  of the happenings.   Your wife is making it happen with the paid move as well.   Have her throw in one more request........Large Green Egg.   hehe    sounds like they would do it.

• caliking
    @cazzy : I haven't tried it yet, on principle. I tried the steakhouse once and was sorely disappointed. And I'm not a fan of waiting in long lines. But I might give it a go sometime if you're game.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited June 2014
    I'm just curious, are you building a home you designed or using plans someone else designed?
    I used to always dream of having a home built to my floor plan, but a few years ago, I realized it just wasn't going to be in my future.  As a young kid I used to draw floor plans for the fun of it, even including landscaping outside (man made stream flowing into a fishing hole).  I would draw reasonable size homes & mansions.  It was like a small hobby I had for awhile.  Anyway, I wish you the best on your new abode.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• cazzy
    edited June 2014
    Zmokin said:

I'm just curious, are you building a home you designed or using plans someone else designed?
    I used to always dream of having a home built to my floor plan, but a few years ago, I realized it just wasn't going to be in my future.  As a young kid I used to draw floor plans for the fun of it, even including landscaping outside (man made stream flowing into a fishing hole).  I would draw reasonable size homes & mansions.  It was like a small hobby I had for awhile.  Anyway, I wish you the best on your new abode.

It's a plan someone else designed. This is our first home purchase together and while it's technically not a starter home, it's a starter home for us. We only anticipate being in Houston for 4-5 years as my wife is being groomed for a position in Nashville, TN.

At that point, she'll be at her corporate office so we'll splurge more as we anticipate that to be our final stop. We have an idea what we want, so if we can't find it within someone else's plans, we'll get an architect or a builder who allows structural modifications. One story ranch style home on 2-3 acres with a professional kitchen and a theater room. There is obviously alot more to it, but those are just the things I care about. Lol
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    All the best my friend.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    cazzy said:
    It's a plan someone else designed. This is our first home purchase together and while it's technically not a starter home, it's a starter home for us. We only anticipate being in Houston for 4-5 years as my wife is being groomed for a position in Nashville, TN. At that point, she'll be at her corporate office so we'll splurge more as we anticipate that to be our final stop. We have an idea what we want, so if we can't find it within someone else's plans, we'll get an architect or a builder who allows structural modifications. One story ranch style home on 2-3 acres with a professional kitchen and a theater room. There is obviously alot more to it, but those are just the things I care about. Lol
    Cool, sounds like you've got a good plan for your future.  Enjoy!!!
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2014
    @cazzy‌
    Hey congratulations to you and your wife. Wish y'all all the best and hope y'all enjoy the new home.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Good luck bud.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • cazzy
    Jeremiah said:

Good luck bud.

Thanks miah! Have you started building your pit yet?
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    What company does she work for?  Wondering because I live a little north of Nashville. 
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Congrats to both you and your wife on all the great news. We begin building our house in September. It's a great/stressful time and we haven't even seen our final blueprint. PS There is absolutely nothing wrong with the wife being the bread winner. I'm also in this boat.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• cazzy

What company does she work for?  Wondering because I live a little north of Nashville. 

HCA/Parallon