Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon, Scallops, and Meat Glue

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So I picked up some bacon and scallops yesterday morning and went to work.

Laid out bacon slices and sprinkled with meat glue.

Rolled them up tightly and in the fridge for a few hours to set.

Sliced into discs. Before slicing, I tossed them in the freezer to firm up a bit. Next time I'll freeze a bit longer. The first few I took from the freezer first and were mushy and a pain to slice. The last ones had a longer freeze time and worked better.

I then sprinkled meat glue on the bacon discs and put one disc on top and one on bottom of each scallop, wrapped them up and let them sit in the fridge for the afternoon. Here they are just before cooking.

Cooked them on the Lodge cast iron griddle on the egg. I can't believe I didn't get any action shots of the cook in progress. I flipped them halfway through so each bacon disc got nice and crispy.

Here they are plated.

I didn't add any seasoning aside from what the bacon brought to the party. I really liked the flavor the bacon added. I really like the texture of scallops and having the bacon directly against the cooking surface allowed that scallop texture to stay the same throughout.

Some notes for next time.
- Get larger scallops. These were the largest the store I was at had. Some wanted to fall over during cooking.
- Toss out any bacon discs that are mostly fat. Meat Glue bonds protein to protein. Too much fat, not enough meat = bacon discs that fall off during the cook. I think if the scallops had been larger and I had made the bacon discs correspondingly larger, this might not have been such a problem. 

I will be giving this another go next time I find some larger scallops.

I also did some chicken pieces, potatoes, and stuffed mushrooms. The mushrooms were done at the inspiration of @Parallel recent Stuffed Button Mushroom post. I substituted Dizzy Pig Mediterranean-ish for the S&P however. They were really good.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments