Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New Eggers

Well what a week, having thought long and hard, finally bought an egg over a new weber gas, which hubby has been hankering over for years. We hatched last sunday and have egged 4 days out of seven ( do we cook or do we egg?). Sunday, whole chicken (cremated), belly pork on thursday but lost heat towards the end, ( two slow cooks and didn't top up the charcoal) leg of lamb on friday, slightly over cooked ( meat probe on the shopping list, cook to temp not time) and saturday steaks! think we may have cracked it! UK terminology for getting it right, nothing to do with cracking eggs! Loving our new large BGE and a big thank you to the forum as all learning issues were here. 
·

Comments

• JEC23JEC23 Posts: 131
    Welcome, enjoy the new addition from a fellow UK egger.
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Welcome aboard!  Sounds like some good/ok cooks so far.  Keep at it and trust what you learn from the forum here.  Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.  Get a Thermopen and cook to temp.  "do we cook or do we egg?" - I always use a Capital 'E' when referring to my Egg.  You are no longer cooking, you are Egging.  Enjoy. 
    +1 on the Thermapen, a maverick is another good purchase. For charcoal I get mine from BigK, the restaurant lump in 15kg bags (ACH15) for low and slow and the 12kg bags (RCH12) for grilling. Quite a lot cheaper than the BGE stuff and better quality too, link for you

http://www.bigkproducts.co.uk/Catalog-BBQ-Charcoal_29.aspx
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    All you need is a Thermopen and fill up you Egg with lump.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,022
    welcome, there's a bit of a learning curve but you figure it out quick if you read and post here.

·
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 793
    Welcome to the journey!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE 
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    Welcome to the tasty craziness! Keep it up your cooks will become automatic. A thermapen is an investment but so was your Egg and the food cooked on it is a greater one, with the right tools you get all the credit. Enjoy the ride and have a "cracking" good time!
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    Welcome to the lifestyle.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome. Enjoy!!!!
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,601
    Welcome. Now all of your clothes will smell like a campfire.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • Congratulations and welcome!
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
    ·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 600
    Welcome aboard! +1 on the Themapen - It should be your next purchase.
    Milton, GA.
    ·
  • xiphoid007xiphoid007 Posts: 298
    Good thermometers and learning how to control your temp are 2 of the most important things. Read a lot here, and you're in for a lot of fun. I've found that even what I would call failures as my harshest critic are way better than what most folks call good food.
    ·
  • jccbone62jccbone62 Posts: 195
    Welcome to the club!
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
    ·
  • SubVetSubVet Posts: 12
    Last grill you'll ever need - Mine is about 11 years old now.
    ·
  • James MBJames MB Posts: 349
    As others have said - welcome to the lifestyle!
    Meat therm is really useful, though I love my "Third Hand" and my woo ring - basically something to add distance and to go indirect.
    Oh and a corkscrew of course!
    Your next challenge is to get enough charcoal in to see you through the winter.
    ·
  • James MBJames MB Posts: 349
    PS - I'm in the UK too.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,246
    Welcome. The thermapen changed my cooking, er....egging. Egging.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • BrodiesBrodies Posts: 4
    Wow all these new Egg pals, chicken and roasted veg on the go! about to try out my new therma pen!! 
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,790
    Good thermometers and learning how to control your temp are 2 of the most important things. Read a lot here, and you're in for a lot of fun. I've found that even what I would call failures as my harshest critic are way better than what most folks call good food.
    Eggxactly.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • pantsypantspantsypants Posts: 1,151
    Welcome !!!

Toronto
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,230
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville
    ·
    James MB said:

PS - I'm in the UK too.

Where do you get your charcoal from? Local or online?
    ·
  • HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Welcome aboard. Ex-Pat from Hammersmith in London. You'll make lots of new friends out of nosey neighbors too.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,357
    Welcome and enjoy!

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • NanookNanook Posts: 603
    Welcome! +1 on the Thermapen
    GWN
    ·
  • Rplatt2Rplatt2 Posts: 25