Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help on turkey brine.

Options
Ed G.
Ed G. Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I was about to brine my Butterball turkey for 12 hours, when I noticed after unwrapping it, the turkey had a purplish color all over it. I know this may seem like a silly question, but I can't remember any turkey's I've smoked in the past, having a blue or purple color all over it. Could it be that the blood has just settled?[p]I thawed it in the frig over a four day period, like the directions called for on a 14 pounder. It smells fresh. What do you think, I don't want to get anyone sick! Should I continue, or cook steaks instead on the Big Green one??[p]Thanks for the help! :)

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Ed G.,[p]I'd err on the safe side. It almost sounds like you executed the second thawing for that bird.[p]Be careful.[p]Puj

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Ed G.,
    I don't think you have any problems what-so-ever! Most turkeys when flash frozen, will take on a bluish cast. You said it was a "Butterball"? Call their 800 hot line and explain what you are seeing. They'll set you straight. If the bird has a definite bluish /purple color, not just a shadow like appearance, it sounds as if they packaged a "B" or "C" grade bird in an "A" package. The color would relate to some rough handling before it was butchered. As long as the bird smells fresh, I would go ahead with your cook. Smell will not lie to you![p]Cheers,[p]Dr. Chicken

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Ed G.,[p]It would be a good call to talk with the Butterball folks. Way to go Dr. Chicken![p]Ed G. if you do call them, would you post their thinking on this? Thanks.[p]Puj