Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

16.1 lbs Wagyu Brisky (from SRF) - Thanks Drew!!

nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,333
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
My buddy sent this to me.  He's coming to NOLA on Sunday, so I'm cooking it up for our GoT party.

Should I use mustard?  What about a water pan?  What temp and how long? What about the Travis method?

so many decisions....

Comments

• DMWDMW Posts: 12,125
    I would probably marinate in Coke for at least 24 hours.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,216
    All in with the Travis method...:)
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,983
    Travis method fo sur.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGHSGH Posts: 23,996
    @nolaegghead‌
    Congratulations my friend. Enjoy it. I would give advice but you can cook brisket as well as anyone on here. Again enjoy that top end brisket my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,959
    Finish it in the oven!
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,333
    What about sauce?  A1 or Sweet Baby Ray's?  Should I let it rise up to room temperature before I put on the sauce?

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,983
    Or stove top
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    Only the best with SRF! KC Masterpiece all the way!

Only the best with SRF! KC Masterpiece all the way!
    I think I saw some of that at the dollar store.  Wonder how much it costs....

• JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 10,704
    Just don't forget to use the mangrates!
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

No more than a Vietnamese hooker as long as you're not too beaucoup.
    Should I use bear claws when it's done or just go ape-sh*t with a couple of forks and a fifth of tequila?

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,216
    Just use a couple of plastic forks and pull with the grain-no resistance and its done!  Broken plastic is a bonus...
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
    Use your toes since it's a party. Guests appreciate the spectacle.
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,445
    That's a crock pot cut if I've ever seem one... Just go the infomercial way and set it and forget it.
    Nola could use a Ronco rotisserie. I bet it's the one toy he doesn't have.
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 7,949
    Out of all the questions I can't believe you haven't asked about what lump and smoke wood!!! Everything else will be junk if you don't get those 2 right.

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
    Nola could use a Ronco rotisserie. I bet it's the one toy he doesn't have.
    I have a rotisserie on my gasser, does that count?  hmmmm....that could be interesting.  $160 (incl shipping) spinning around and around. 

I sent Drew this link.  I'm sure he's horrified.

Out of all the questions I can't believe you haven't asked about what lump and smoke wood!!! Everything else will be junk if you don't get those 2 right.

Matchlight, yo. Take no chances of that fire going out. Poison ivy for smoke. Fire is the only way to kill it after all. Two birds with one stone!

edited May 2014
    Good point.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I was thinking B&B mequite lump with a mixture of mequite and hickory smoke wood.  Maybe throw in a cedar plank for the turpentine-like je ne sais quoi.

Nola - seriously - do you have any Oak? It ROCKS and gives happy endings.
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 7,949
    Maybe hemp for smoke!!

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
    Matchlight, yo. Take no chances of that fire going out. Poison ivy for smoke. Fire is the only way to kill it after all. Two birds with one stone!
    C'mon beaker!  Everyone knows you should make your own matchlight with a bag of regular lump and a squirt can of the real stuff!!!!

edited May 2014
    Nola - seriously - do you have any Oak? It ROCKS and gives happy endings.
    Yeah, right...like I want my brisket to taste just like that Aaron Franklyn guy's.

edit: yeah, I have a sh*t ton of oak that I split into chunks.

• LitLit Posts: 6,847
    You need to cube it and run it through your KA grinder. Make sure you freeze it some first.
    edited May 2014
    @Lit - seriously, cutting off part of the flat and grinding it up actually did cross my mind.  Wagyu burgers - very yum.  That still might happen.

EDIT: Drew, don't get alarmed now....I would definitely as you if that's ok first.

• BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,521
    Don't waste that puppy.. 450 in.the oven after marinating overnight on the counter.
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,323
    Catch a plane to Austin and just touch Aaron and fly back while there's still time!
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 5,001
    Travis is busy cooking 3 choice briskets. I also picked up some 4 loko to supervise with. image
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.