Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sealing around the door

Options
What's the best method for sealing around the door on my BGE XL? I'm using a DigiQ with a pit viper fan and when it pushes air I get smoke pushing out around the edges of the door where it mounts on the egg. It actually leaks very little where the fan sits in the door. Is it because I have the wheel on top closed down to far or even on at all?
BGE XL, BBQ Guru and Looftlighter Nazareth, PA

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    A few ideas...1) the adapter goes in horizontal in a L but vertical in an XL. 2) Your vent track may be unusually loose and you can solve that by taking a small wooden board and a small hammer and by carefully tapping along the top and bottom tracks you tighten them up. Just be gentle it doesn't take a lot! 3) The air may be getting pushed back because the passage above such as in the grate is blocked. Have you stirred well and cleaned the holes? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I get that too sometimes but don't worry too much about it as my controller has no problem controlling the temp. I don't see it over working.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited May 2014
    Options
    This: 

I had the same issue on my XL. I called and confirmed with the mothership that this would resolve my issue and it did. I applied a heavy coating around the edges and I used my finger to smooth it out. It looks like it came fresh off the assembly line.   

XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Jah60
    Jah60 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks, I was thinking the fix would be rather simple with some hi-temp silicon around the door assembly. Just wanted to see if it's common.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Jah60 said:
    Thanks, I was thinking the fix would be rather simple with some hi-temp silicon around the door assembly. Just wanted to see if it's common.
    I really had a belly laugh at myself! When I read your post this morning I took it too literally that you meant the "door" using your Pit Viper and how your vent was not sealing tight around it. That's why I offered up my ideas to solve that...but now I see all you meant was that some factory employee did a lousy job of applying a good bead of common silicone before attaching the bottom vent to your egg! Bet it was applied right before lunch, or quitting time on Friday as you should NEVER have had the issue you have. While a simple quick solution is to just run a bead of silicone around the outside the real "forever" solution is to clean out your egg sometime, remove the fire ring and then the firebox and then remove the 4 stainless steel nuts from the stainless steel bolts so you can remove that mis-applied vent, clean off the old crap and apply the silicone bead properly.

BTW here's a picture of the piece of your Pit Viper that I thought you meant...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jah60
    Jah60 Posts: 29
    Options
    RRP said:
    Jah60 said:
    I really had a belly laugh at myself! When I read your post this morning I took it too literally that you meant the "door" using your Pit Viper and how your vent was not sealing tight around it. That's why I offered up my ideas to solve that...but now I see all you meant was that some factory employee did a lousy job of applying a good bead of common silicone before attaching the bottom vent to your egg! Bet it was applied right before lunch, or quitting time on Friday as you should NEVER have had the issue you have. While a simple quick solution is to just run a bead of silicone around the outside the real "forever" solution is to clean out your egg sometime, remove the fire ring and then the firebox and then remove the 4 stainless steel nuts from the stainless steel bolts so you can remove that mis-applied vent, clean off the old crap and apply the silicone bead properly.

BTW here's a picture of the piece of your Pit Viper that I thought you meant...

Thanks, I think I'll take your advice and take the whole thing off and do it the right way. Did you shape your pit viper mount to the radius of the door or leave it flat? The photo looks like your adapter isn't straight. Thanks for the help!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Search Amazon for "permatex clear rtv silicone adhesive sealant". I had a similar issue with my small, and this stuff took care of it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Or if you're totally gungho this is rated up to 500℉ (not really necessary) but, it will hold up over time with even extreme heat from say a clean burn, pizza bake, searing etc etc.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL