Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deal fell into our lap. Transitioning from a Weber Kettle... help?

Options
2»

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I am a kettle veteran. The egg is much easier to control temps and it doesn't dry out your food. Water baths are not needed in the egg. The screen over the lower vent will arrest the Sparks so that's not a problem. Pull the trigger. Many people on this forum (myself included) expressed regrets to not buying an egg sooner than they did.
    Flint, Michigan
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I always use the vent screen at the bottom. And for the top, I have it open while my electric starter is in (about 7-10 minutes), and then close it while it warms up.

I also don't think they wood sell wooden tables if they thought it was in increased fire risk.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The hazard to a deck would be minimal. I have both an older BGE w. no vent screen, and a newer one with it. I use them both about as much, and I see sparks from the bottom of the old one so rarely I don't recall the last one I saw. I don't have a deck. Mine stand on flagstones next to my garden. There's almost always some dry leaves and weeds around them, and have never even had those kindle. I've never had ash fly from mine. Sometimes when I light using a weed burner, the lump will pop, and some tiny sparks fly out. I've been hit w. a few, and though they bite, and I'm glad I'm wearing glasses, never had even a little blister. The tables I've seen that were scorched didn't have adequate protection at the bottom of the Egg. A few had no paver, and others had pavers, but no spacers to let the air flow under the Egg and cool it. W. a nest, there is no problem like that. FWIW, its perfectly easy to have different cooking temps w. an Egg. W. a 2 tier grill set-up, just put a few firebricks, or even a half cake pan on one side. The direct area will be 2 - 4 times hotter.
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    I have had my BGE for 3 weeks now and transitioned from a Weber kettle and King Griller. I love the ash door screen on the BGE. On my Weber Kettle I have had hot embers fall out of the bottom and yes I have stepped on them in bare feet. It wasn't enjoyable. The food on the BGE is more moist, it's easier to control the temp also. So far no regrets. 
    Danville, Il
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    I too transitioned from a Weber Kettle.  I haven't used the Weber once since.  I agree with an earlier post that the Weber is dollar for dollar the best cooker out there but the Egg is just a superior grill with so many more options.  I have the XL so I can split the firebox similar to how you would on the Weber.  All in all I am 110% happy and haven't looked back.  The egg is a great cooker but I would not get totally rid of the Weber, never know when you may need additional grid space or different temp, etc.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Many have transitioned from kettles to eggs. I have a dozen or so cookers of different kinds, many of which are homebrewed contraptions. I learned how to grill/smoke/bbq on them and learned learned a lot about fire management and coming with charcoal from them. So keep the kettle grill after you get the egg!

Re: setting up your egg, I think @cazzy had a pic of his cinder block setup that should offer some protection for your deck. The nest is a very workable solution and offers some mobility. Just be careful rolling out around. You can add bigger pneumatic wheels to help it over uneven terrain.

And now , I really hope you are already driving to pick up your new egg!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Focker said:
    The biggest challenge will be going from a 22" cooking grid, to 18.  And the all-or-none setup constraints of the egg.
    I cooked for years on a 22" Weber.  I used the briquette holders and hinged grate for indirect cooks, which takes away a lot of that real estate.  +1 on keeping the Weber if you have the space.  I gave mine away when I got the egg, but I feel like my roasted chickens on the Weber were better than mine are on the egg.  However, I have no idea what temp I cooked at on the Weber, so that may be the reason.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options

Never understood Primos concept of splitting a firebox in a convection type ceramic grill??? 

By placing a barrier underneath, yea, you are slowing the cooking process.  But ceramic's radiation and convection are still at play.  A lot different with a two-zone fire in a less efficient steel kettle with a considerable amount of air running through it.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• wmk0002
    wmk0002 Posts: 7
    Options
    I just bought a new Large BGE last Saturday and fired her up for the first time last night. I have exclusively used a 22.5" Weber Kettle up until now and was amazed at how easily it was to dial it in to 350 degrees my first time. I was easily able to hold it to +/- 10 degrees, although the last hour it did spike to over 400 somehow. I love to smoke butts, ribs, turkeys, and chickens so it is going to be nice not having to dedicate an entire day to tending to the Weber.

I still plan on using my kettle regularly though. The extra cooking area will be handy at big cookouts, I often take it camping with me, and I have an awesome Craycort cast iron grate for it which is just now getting that good naturally seasoned coating on it.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

Keep the kettle and have two great cookers.  I just picked another weber performer up. The old stainless steel table. I probably use my kettle more in the summer and in the winter the kettle gets more unused.

For some reason I like chicken better off my kettle than the egg. The rotisserie is a great attachment for the weber.

I love the egg for winter cooking and when I know I wont be around to check temps.

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    Focker said:
    The biggest challenge will be going from a 22" cooking grid, to 18.  And the all-or-none setup constraints of the egg.
    I cooked for years on a 22" Weber.  I used the briquette holders and hinged grate for indirect cooks, which takes away a lot of that real estate.  +1 on keeping the Weber if you have the space.  I gave mine away when I got the egg, but I feel like my roasted chickens on the Weber were better than mine are on the egg.  However, I have no idea what temp I cooked at on the Weber, so that may be the reason.
    The briquette holders do take away some space, but not a lot particularly if you're only using one at a time which suffices for many indirect cooks, but if you need every square inch of the 22.5 grid there's nothing stopping you from setting the kettle up indirect the same way it's done in an egg, with either a setter or some other type of barrier between a pile of charcoal placed in the center of the kettle & the grid(s) above.  I've never found it necessary to do this as the kettle set up indirect is still more spacious than a LBGE.  A standard kettle is only an inch and a half shy of the XL grid space.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Weber kettles are good, I have cooked very good food on them over the years. Eggs are awesome I did my 75th cook on mine yesterday every one has been awesome, and I have only had my Egg since Feb. 8th. Mine sits on a wood deck and I have no worries at all about a fire. As long as you use the Egg as intended I think there is very little chance of an unwanted fire.Buy your Egg NOW!
  • JenniferEgger
    Options

Thank you ALL for your input!  I want the egg, no question!  Hubby is less convinced.  And with two in braces, finances are tight.  Oh!  We are keeping the Kettle.  It's less than a week old! LOL.

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I think you need a new husband. Better yet maybe by him a vacuum
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• JenniferEgger
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I think you need a new husband. Better yet maybe by him a vacuum
    Lol.  I think we may go pick it up tomorrow.  

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    Options
    Show your husband some of the pics of the food created on this forum, he'll be getting two eggs.
  • JenniferEgger
    Options

I will say... we're new to cooking with charcoal.  He cooked a burger and dogs on the Kettle tonight and proclaimed it was the best dog/burger he's ever had.  So, he's definitely a convert to the charcoal side and is no longer looking at gassers.  That's some major progress right there! :)

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I had two kettles and the wsm, the egg is much nicer. I still have one silver kettle for when I need space
  • JenniferEgger
    Options
    Well, we've got the egg! They didn't have a nest, so that will be shipped to us. I don't have a paver, and I don't want hubby to have to assemble it twice. More margin for error IMO.

So we'll have to be content with the Kettle for at least a few more days. Oh, and my hubby proclaims that it's ugly, but I think he secretly thinks it's cool. :D

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Congrats.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    Options
    Congrats, you'll be more than happy with it. Today I made skillet cornbread and cherry cobbler in mine.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just wait til he tastes the food from it, he won't care what it looks like.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Oh, and my hubby proclaims that it's ugly...
    Frankly, I agree with him. Funky lookin'. But that's okay, it cooks a mean, umm, whatever.

Congrats on your new toy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ktim
    Options
    Very,very nice. remember no briquets or lighter fluid in the Egg only lump charcoal or the ceramic will take on a bad taste you cant get rid of!
  • JenniferEgger
    Options
    Have Royal Oak as that was the best available in my town.  Will make a trip tomorrow to an Ace so see what they carry....

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• Ktim
    Options
    Awesome! How do you plan on lighting it?
  • JenniferEgger
    Options
    Weber cube for now.... will reevaluate as we go.

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• Ktim
    Options
    Very good,you are on the right track and seem to be doing things right! What will be your first cook?