Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deal fell into our lap. Transitioning from a Weber Kettle... help?

Options

Last weekend, we bought a Weber Gold for the Holiday.  We thought we'd be saving for an egg for about a year and our 20 year old gasser finally fell apart.  We needed something for this summer at the very least, and we had never used charcoal before!  So we cooked all sorts of things this weekend and some were great, and some need some work. LOL.  We have a wooden deck and while the Gold has an ash catcher, we were a little concerned with flyaway ash as it's still somewhat open to the elements, so we moved it off the deck and cooked in the yard.  The Kettle was always under supervision as well.  We thought the Kettle would be good training, so when and if we could afford an Egg, we'd hit the ground running!

Well, a great deal on an egg has fallen into our laps.  Someone knows someone, who knows someone else, and long story short, we can get a new LGE at slightly less than a demo egg price from a dealer that's legit.  Pricing was on egg only, with nest, and with Cypress Table as options.  We're leaning towards the nest option and later getting a stainless table to sit next.  My understanding is that the ash area on the Egg is more protected  than the one on the Gold.  Meaning, it would be less likely for ash to go flying from the Egg than the Kettle.  The nearest dealer is an hour away, so I'm not able to just run down the road and look unfortunately.

The reason I ask, is that we obviously aren't going to be able to pick it up and put it on the ground like the Kettle.  We'd get a fireproof mat, it would be supervised at all times as it's right outside our kitchen, and I don't think we'd do any overnight cooks just to be cautious.  I've seen the pics of the tables that caught fire as I've been lurking for a few months and I'm super paranoid, and would take every precaution I could.  I thought I'd have time to maybe make a little stone area to house it, but that's not happening anytime soon.

I really don't want to spend the money right now, but even I know that deals like this don't ever come around again.  Hubby is asking if I'm SURE that this is the grill I want, and everything I've read tells me that this is the way to go.  We went to a sample cook, and the food was SO tender and tasty!  And I refuse to spend too much money on a gasser that is just going to rust anyway.  And if it dries out food as well?  Um.  No thank you.

So, if you've transitioned to an Egg from a Kettle, I'd love to hear your impressions.  And if anyone else out there has their Egg on a wood deck.  It's raised, but only a foot off the ground, if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have....

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

Comments

• mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    Options
    Long time lurker and hoping to post a little now and then. I understand your concerns with the deck, I'd have them too, but I've seen a lot of pics of Eggs on decks so I don't think it's much of an issue. I've also got a Weber Gold and the ash is nothing on the Egg like it is on the Weber, it's completely contained on the Egg. I've also got a Weber gasser that I haven't in a year since I got my XL Egg. The Gold gets used occasionally  if I need more grid area or if I'm just burning a couple hot dogs. Actually we use it for smores sometimes lol.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I say the more PA eggers the better! Just dive in and get it. If sparks are not your thing stay with a better brand lump. You never want to get complacent when dealing with fire but the amount of flying embers out of the egg will keep your sanity in check
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• JenniferEgger
    Options
    Oh, I should have mentioned... I was using Royal Oak.  I know there are better lumps out there, but it was the best available locally.  Also used a Weber starter cube.  I'll be looking for Rockwood or similar as we go forward. 

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options

JE, have owned my share and then some, of Weber products, and currently own a WSM and a second OTG.  If you can operate and understand the workings of a kettle, you will have zero problems transitioning to an egg.  Transitioning from egg to kettle would take a little more work, but not that hard.  Start a slow fire, and control it to your desired range.  The egg stupefies an already basic concept in live fire cooking. 

Final product is pretty much equal on both if you know what you are doing with the OTG in all weather conditions. 

The egg makes temp control in any given environment, and cleanup much easier.  It also gives you the ability to bake.  

In summary, a kettle can do 95% of what an egg can do, as good, if not better.  The other 5% is baking.

Adam Perry Lang's "Charred and Scruffed"  would be an excellent book to start with.     

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    As far as a good deal goes, that would be something you would have to decide on the risk over savings when it comes to the warranty issue. If you read through different post, you'll see some have used their warranties and we're glad they had them. I don't have any advice on the deck issue. As far as the ash goes, I think it's at least 99% better in my opinion. I live where the wind blows frequently and ash build up wasn't my problem(never did long cooks before the egg). My problem was when I lifted the lid my food would be covered with ash, plus somedays we're pretty much impossible to cook because of the wind. No longer a problem with the egg. No ash issues and I don't have to wait on weather to cook outdoors. Win, win for me. I read somewhere in this forum something to the effect of although an egg is a lot of money it's worth more than it cost. Hopefully you'll get the answers you need about placing the egg on the deck, but as far as ash goes, you won't be disappointed.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @stemc33 - Her egg will have a warranty.
    Options
    @stemc33 - Her egg will have a warranty.

If it has a warranty and it's a good deal, better get it quick.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Focker
    Options

I've cooked in nasty, wet, windy, sub-zero conditions with the Webers.  It can be done.  A windblock is critical.  Simple as a couple of pieces of plywood and hinges.

Ash floats around in the egg too.  I wipe a layer of ash off the stone or steel before launching pies.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JenniferEgger
    Options

Hope I'm doing this quote thing correctly!  And @Nolaegghead was correct, this is from a dealer with a warranty.

stemc33 said:
    As far as a good deal goes, that would be something you would have to decide on the risk over savings when it comes to the warranty issue. If you read through different post, you'll see some have used their warranties and we're glad they had them. I don't have any advice on the deck issue. As far as the ash goes, I think it's at least 99% better in my opinion. I live where the wind blows frequently and ash build up wasn't my problem(never did long cooks before the egg). My problem was when I lifted the lid my food would be covered with ash, plus somedays we're pretty much impossible to cook because of the wind. No longer a problem with the egg. No ash issues and I don't have to wait on weather to cook outdoors. Win, win for me. I read somewhere in this forum something to the effect of although an egg is a lot of money it's worth more than it cost. Hopefully you'll get the answers you need about placing the egg on the deck, but as far as ash goes, you won't be disappointed.

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I may be foolish but I have had my BGE on a box on my deck for over two years waiting on me to complete my table.  The lower vent has a screen to prevent embers from escaping.  I have only rarely had the temperatures high enough for embers to shoot out the top of the DFMT.  I go to sleep with the BGE on doing a low and slow pork butt and rest peacefully.
    To me the largest benefit of a BGE over a kettle is the consistency of temperature.  I can hold 250 degrees for 10-15 hours, +/- 5 degrees with NO intervention!!  When i used to do that with the Weber, I would be married to the grill for 10-15 hours constantly adding or moving briquettes.  You will never look back.

I still have a gasser.  The only thing a BGE can't do better is cook a hot dog in 5 minutes from a cold start.  It can cook a hot dog better, but not in 5 minutes.  I try to avoid quick hot dogs meals but sometimes I have no choice.  Enjoy!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Focker
    edited May 2014
    Options
    The biggest challenge will be going from a 22" cooking grid, to 18.  And the all-or-none setup constraints of the egg.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Oops. Didn't see the from a dealer part.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Sometimes the deal is just too good to pass up. I just had one of those situations myself. I went to buy a Small and ended up with a Medium too. 

My wife once said "If you keep cooking like this for me, you can have as many eggs as you want!" I don't think she thought I would ever hold her to that comment. 
    :D

I love her dearly!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I have mine on a deck.  Mine is in a nest.  I use Royal Oak.  In the six months that I've used it, 2-3 times a week, I've never seen an ember pop out of it.  That doesn't mean it can't happen, I just haven't seen it.  I've seen embers drop below the fire grid into the ash area but that is all.  I've cooked at 700+ and low and slow.  On my overnight cooks I use the Digiq controller which has a fan that covers up the lower vent so if an ember is going to make it out during a low and slow cook, it's got to go up 2-3 feet and out the narrow opening of the DFMT.  

And I love my egg.  At first I thought it was expensive but now that I know what I have, I think the dealers are charging too little.
    XL Owner
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    If you are considering the cypress table, check availability with your dealer. Some dealers may be displaying them on their floor models, but to the best of my knowledge from doing dealer demo's they are no longer available unless the dealer has stock on hand.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • JenniferEgger
    Options

Hmmm.  The dealer is a 'gold' dealer, so maybe they had a larger stock to choose from?  I don't think we're going in that direction, but good info to have!  Thanks!

If you are considering the cypress table, check availability with your dealer. Some dealers may be displaying them on their floor models, but to the best of my knowledge from doing dealer demo's they are no longer available unless the dealer has stock on hand.

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• DRKEgg
    DRKEgg Posts: 37
    Options
    I was a Weber user for 10 years (Gold and then platinum). Bought a LBGE this February. I loved my Weber but there is no comparison to the BGE. Temp control, high temps, and low and slow are all unattainable with a Weber.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I went from a kettle, to a bge, then to more kettles, and more bge's. I've lied to my wife so many times saying "this is the last one" that it's comical. My point is keep the kettle for sure, it's dollar for dollar the best cooker available. The larger grid and simultaneous direct and indirect is great. But the egg allows you to do more. You will really enjoy it. I can't comment on the sparks. I am over concrete and fire all the cookers with a weed burner. It looks like a fire work show.
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Hey Jennifer, 

I have a large egg on a raised Trex deck and have cooked on it for well over two years without incident. I have never had an ember leave the kettle. The vent screen pretty much prevents that as long as you use it faithfully. I am careful when I light a fire. I use a starter cube and close the lid pretty early in the process before  sparks start flying. I never leave the top vent wide open. I live in fire country. The Slide fire in Oak Creek Canyon just up the road in Sedona is at 18,000 acers, started I believe by a careless campfire. honestly if I had a better space for my egg I would think about using it, but the deck has worked well for me. Good luck. 
  • Focker
    edited May 2014
    Options

@DRKEgg,

Did you ever use firebricks or water in your kettle to help with temp control?  Had no problems doing bbq cooks in the kettle when I wanted to do one rack of spares.  Everything else usually went into the WSM, a different animal.  

High temps, no problems 

Often times through the years on 3 different forums, the bashing of Weber relates to operator errors or lack of technique and execution.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Those cypress tables are stapled together.  They're probably fine if you never move it and keep it in a covered environment, but they don't hold up that well compared to some other materials and designs.  I've seen a bunch of people have these things fall apart.  Farmed cypress is nothing like old growth which was very weather resistant.

That said, if you buy a new store-bought cypress table and take it apart, put a finish on it, then reassemble with real fasteners, it'll last 5x longer.
    Options
    I cooked on a Weber for 35 yrs.  Bought my first Egg in April 2003.  Three days after getting the Egg, the Weber went out to the curb to be picked up.  I have never looked back adn you won't either.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I'm going backwards. I've taken home a Big Steel Keg and now a Weber in the last month or so. :-t The Weber was free on Craigslist. After loading it up and driving home I realized I don't really need it. Called my sister and asked if they wanted it but she just purchased a gasser. [-X Might just toss it in the shed and use it for corn on the cob, veggies, sides, parties, etc.

The Big Steel Keg I'm hoping to flip. Purchased it for $125 on Craigslist within minutes of it being posted. The keg stand was starting to look a little rough. Currently in the process of stripping, sanding, wire wheel, priming, and painting it. Should help the appeal when selling it. Wouldn't mind keeping it but the extra cash I'm hoping to put to towards the purchase of my old motorcycle. The Big Steel Keg new is pushing a $1,000 after tax. So hopefully I have some room for a little profit
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    I'm going backwards. I've taken home a Big Steel Keg and now a Weber in the last month or so. :-t The Weber was free on Craigslist. After loading it up and driving home I realized I don't really need it. Called my sister and asked if they wanted it but she just purchased a gasser. [-X Might just toss it in the shed and use it for corn on the cob, veggies, sides, parties, etc. The Big Steel Keg I'm hoping to flip. Purchased it for $125 on Craigslist within minutes of it being posted. The keg stand was starting to look a little rough. Currently in the process of stripping, sanding, wire wheel, priming, and painting it. Should help the appeal when selling it. Wouldn't mind keeping it but the extra cash I'm hoping to put to towards the purchase of my old motorcycle. The Big Steel Keg new is pushing a $1,000 after tax. So hopefully I have some room for a little profit

I can understand the bike want.  If you end up with another method to get the bike, keep the keg.  I use mine mostly to take into work or anywhere else I need a mobile kamado.  Its hard to beat a grill that you can throw on a trailer hitch.  Also, its a little more efficient than the egg.  Sometimes that is a problem because it simply will not go down in heat. 

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I cooked on a Weber for many years before the egg. As others have said, the biggest (and perhaps only) drawback is the inability to have an indirect and direct area on a larger grid. Taking the plate setter out while hot is a PITA. (And if you put your Egg on the deck, make sure you have thick pavers where you can put the plate setter). I cooked many great things on that Weber, including brisket. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • DRKEgg
    DRKEgg Posts: 37
    Options
    Focker - never tried those my Weber, but that is attributable to operator ignorance on my part. On high temp, I struggled to get temp sustainable above 550 or so. Again, neither of those are issues with the BGE (with thanks to the forum).
  • Focker
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    I'm going backwards. I've taken home a Big Steel Keg and now a Weber in the last month or so. :-t The Weber was free on Craigslist. After loading it up and driving home I realized I don't really need it. Called my sister and asked if they wanted it but she just purchased a gasser. [-X Might just toss it in the shed and use it for corn on the cob, veggies, sides, parties, etc. The Big Steel Keg I'm hoping to flip. Purchased it for $125 on Craigslist within minutes of it being posted. The keg stand was starting to look a little rough. Currently in the process of stripping, sanding, wire wheel, priming, and painting it. Should help the appeal when selling it. Wouldn't mind keeping it but the extra cash I'm hoping to put to towards the purchase of my old motorcycle. The Big Steel Keg new is pushing a $1,000 after tax. So hopefully I have some room for a little profit

Looks like that slightly older platinum would clean up just fine.  Best price out there, and you got a chimney starter!

A kettle, large egg combo is hard to beat.  FWIW, I would sell one of my larges before parting with the OTG.  Look into a Cajun Bandit rotisserie.  My brother and I love ours, and Chris(owner of CB) is a good, southern dude.  The Weber charcoal baskets are a low expense, worthy upgrade as well.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If the egg is a great deal and you really want it I say go for it.  I agree with others that  I would consider keeping the kettle.  

The egg on a wooden deck is a valid concern.   You mentioned your deck is only a food off the ground and you were considering a stone area but not ready to do that yet.  Is your yard relatively flat?  Coudn't you just set the egg up in the yard for now.  Another option would be to just start with 4 or so pavers and make a quick pad for the egg 2 sit on. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Options
    I have my two eggs on a composite deck. I went to Lowes and bought 12x12 floor tiles. I placed them loose on felt paper to keep them from sliding around. They also work great for drip and spill cleanup.
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I cooked on a Weber for 35 yrs.  Bought my first Egg in April 2003.  Three days after getting the Egg, the Weber went out to the curb to be picked up.  I have never looked back adn you won't either.
    In my estimation you made a big mistake; I've cooked on Webers & Weber-like metal grills forever as well then began adding eggs in 2004.  The difference however is that I've avoided the common (in these parts anyway) pitfall of drinking too much green koolaid and recognized & exploited the virtues of each cooker as each has its strengths and weaknesses.  Yes, ceramic cookers have weaknesses and for reasons that escape me that's a fact that is hard for some to recognize let alone accept. 

Jennifer, not sure what your plans are but I suggest keeping the OTG after the egg arrives.  Even if it sits unused for a while during the time the new egg smell is exciting, eventually you'll work the kettle back into the rotation and it will become an invaluable tool working in tandem with the egg.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania