Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally tried a cobbler!

Options
Been egging for years now, and never got around to trying a cobbler. Invested in a Lodge DO this week and just arrived at my door yesterday - figured there was no better time to attempt my first cobbler. I gotta say, after seeing Hapster churn out perfect cobbler after perfect cobbler over the years, I was inspired and itching to try this. Cook's been done for a couple hours now, and I'm still reeling at how good it was. I can see this turning into a regular cook for me - just hope the rest turn out like this! Followed this post precisely (hopefully I did that hyperlink right?). Haps - thanks for the inspiration! This egg never ceases to amaze me. 

Ajax, ON Canada
(XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks good from here.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I've had my DO for almost a year and haven't done a cobbler yet... Nice.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    It's the perfect dish to go with the egg because you have just finished up a fantastic main course and are sitting down to eat while that egg is just sitting there holding it's temp and begging to cook one more thing.  You can mix it as the last step before diving into dinner and cook it while you eat with almost no supervision.  And it's a great finish piece when you are entertaining.

XL Owner
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    Makes me hungry just looking at that!  
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Thanks all! And I agree it's a perfect dish for the egg. Next up - corn bread! I'm going to overdose on these DO cooks now. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    @bweekes

Looks like you killed it! Well done... Glad to see it turned out so nicely for you :)
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I'm doing two different cobblers at the Toronto Eggfest next weekend. I do mine in the disposable aluminum baking pans; which work just fine if you don't have a DO.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Looks awesome, I think I will do one on Saturday night.  I read through the linked post, there is no mention of cooking time.  How long does it bake?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    When you do those cobblers in the D.O., do you put the D.O. lid on or leave it off?  The pictures posted here suggest the D.O. lid is off during the cooking process.

Living Large and XL

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    lilwooty said:
    When you do those cobblers in the D.O., do you put the D.O. lid on or leave it off?  The pictures posted here suggest the D.O. lid is off during the cooking process.
    The cover is off the whole time...
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    Looks awesome, I think I will do one on Saturday night.  I read through the linked post, there is no mention of cooking time.  How long does it bake?
    Usually between 45 minutes and an hour has been what I've found.  I use the toothpick test on the crust, when the toothpick comes back clean it is done.
    XL Owner
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    hapster said:
    lilwooty said:
    The cover is off the whole time...

Thanks Hap.  I recently scored a cast iron D.O. from my MIL that she has had since the 50's.  I have used it for beans and cornbread, but I am itching to give this cobbler deal a try!

Living Large and XL

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Cornbread in the BGE...VERY good!  Love the little bit of smoky flavor that you get.  Will have to try a cobbler. Maybe this weekend.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    Options
    I've been wanting a dutch oven, now I have a reason to get one. Looks awesome.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    ElCapitan said:
    Cookinbob said:
    Usually between 45 minutes and an hour has been what I've found.  I use the toothpick test on the crust, when the toothpick comes back clean it is done.
    Agreed. Mine was on for 45 minutes and I was happy with consistency. Naturally, it tightens up once cooled. 
    Ajax, ON Canada