Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken

KJWILD
KJWILD Posts: 95
Should I cook this with the direct or indirect setup?
Husband, Father, Grandfather and Chef of the Home Front. XL BGE- purchased on 5/28/2014

Comments

• CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    edited May 2014
    I cook it direct, raised at 400 until 160F breast and 180F thigh (about 50 mins)
    Los Angeles, CA
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Raised direct at 400. Should take approx 50 min or so. Might start checking temp at 45 min.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    +3 on raised direct 400...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • KJWILD
    Can some please define raised? Do I remove the place setter and place the rack on the firebox extender.
    Husband, Father, Grandfather and Chef of the Home Front. XL BGE- purchased on 5/28/2014
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

KJWILD said:
    Should I cook this with the direct or indirect setup?
    Either will work. This is mine (Raised direct) from last night...

This is a post about an indirect cook (no pics) that I have yet to try. Judy makes a good case though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    KJWILD said:
    Can some please define raised? Do I remove the place setter and place the rack on the firebox extender.
    Raised is normally gasket level. Platesetter, legs up, then grid for indirect. Or no platesetter and some other way to raise the grid to gasket level (bricks, bolts, Woo, AR, etc. Lotsa ways.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I put two bricks on the fire ring and put the grate on the bricks to cook at the felt line.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • KJWILD
    Chickens went on at 5:45pm at a temp of 375. Egg holding steady for the last 10 minutes at 360 according to the dome thermometer. One regret thus far, the thermometer said it was calibrated at the factory, wish I had not gotten in a rush and calibrated it personally before my first use. I can already see a dual probe thermometer being purchased before my next cook to monitor ambient temp. and food temp.
  • KJWILD
    I forgot to mention I live in Fl.. So I don't think that would greatly affect the calibration of the thermometer.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @KJWILD-posted this on your other thread-applies here FWIW-
    "Based on the above, should you be inclined to give the spatchcock chix a go, here's a link to the recipe: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm  BTW his main site is a wealth of ceramic cooking info-well worth the time to review."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    KJWILD said:
    By extender, assume you mean the fire ring, donut shaped ceramic sitting on the fire box. Grid on the fire ring is considered direct. Raising the grid to the felt line with no heat deflector (stone or setter) is considered raised direct. You need something to raise it, empty beer cans, bolts and nuts or fire bricks. If you do not have a way to get the grid at the felt line with nothing between the grid and the burning lump go indirect with the setter in place on the fire ring, legs up and the grid on the setter legs (drip pan needed under the bird). Skin is crispier using raised direct.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • KJWILD
    This is the before pictures. The bird on the left had a rub applied and the bird on the right had just salt and pepper.
  • KJWILD
    And here is the completed picture. Bird on the left was cooked using a rub and bird on the right had simply salt and pepper. I cooked them at 375 for 1hr and 10 min. Setup: indirect, Place setter with legs up drip pans with cooking rack on top. I must say that the flavor was awesome and the skin was as crisp as I have ever had. The family is sure enjoying our first cook. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE for the guidance and advice.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Flip the one on the left around so the legs are toward the back. The egg has a hot spot toward the hinge, keep the breast toward the front.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KJWILD
    Thanks for the advice. This was an awesome meal and a great first cook.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice first cook!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KJWILD
    Trying to decide what to cook tomorrow evening? I was truly amazed at how easy it was to regulate the temp. So far so good, full steam head. How many times do I have to cook at 400 or below before I can tackle the higher temp. Cooks?
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Pork chops. Pork tenderloin. Turbo ribs.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• KJWILD
    How many times do I have to cook at 400 or below before I can tackle the higher temp. Cooks?
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    What are looking to cook at 500+ ? Pizza? Searing steak ?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Carolina Q
    LOL, it doesn't matter. You're going to fry your gasket soon anyway!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    You are good to go now. Used to have to go two or three cooks to set the gasket, the higher temp gaskets seem to be good for whatever out of the box. 

I'd still try some burgers or chops before I went after pizza - unless you use a store bought dough, which is pretty much used at 500-550º indirect. (most are made for oven cooking where temps seldom get above 550º)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • KJWILD
    Yes, pizza and steaks. The family is chopping at the bit to do homemade pizzas and or the great steaks we have heard this thing produces.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    When i do steaks i usually do sirloin. I'll have my butcher cut me up a couple 1 1/2" thick. Let them rest on the counter for at least 45 min. Light coating of olive oil then season. I generally go with a salt pepper rub sometimes use Montreal Steak i like it.

Get my egg to about 750 and put the steaks on for 90 seconds each side. BE CAREFUL opening that egg

after searing I'll put on my ceramic top and close the vents for about 3-4 min. then check the temp with my thermapen pull at about 125 internal and rest for 10 min

Again after closing the vents and putting the cap on be very careful and "burp" the egg you dont want a flame rolling out

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • KJWILD
    Thank you llrickman
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Great looking Chicken. An awesome first cook...
  • llrickman
    I'm putting two on right now egg almost at 400 Indirect for about an hour
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • llrickman
    Oh raises also
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • KJWILD
    Doing our 2nd cooking of 2 spatchcock chickens tonight. Tried it tonight raised direct at 375 and added some hickory chips for a little smoke flavor. Got about 20 minutes left.. I will post pics when they are completed.
  • KJWILD
    Another change, just flipped to skin side down for the last 10 minutes of the cook.