Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is your egg area covered?

Options
2»

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Sorry for the late response, allsid! It is the Eclipse model. double posted the link of it above. It was $400 after shipping. Got it off amazon a couple years back. It's held up really really well and it only took a few hours to assemble.
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    Has anyone had a flashback under a covered patio?  I'm looking at covering our patio, possibly with a tongue and groove plank ceiling underneath, and wondering about how a flashback might damage the ceiling and/or catch it on fire.. 
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would worry more about the afterburner effect. But then, I don't have a roof over my egg.

imageimage

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I have an attached covered patio that my egg sits under. Just steps from a sliding glass door, plenty of seating, and a fire pit.

I need 10 steps from door to egg. Only downside is despite having the egg near the edge, I do get some smoke discoloring on the ceiling of my porch. It's finished out, and I have a ceiling fan that I don't normally run when the egg is billowing out smoke.

I do have another fan I turn on low that keeps the smoke moving in a direction away from the egg and house.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Our LBGE hails on our uncovered deck. We have a 1000+sqft screened in lanai but, my concern was smoke staining the white vinyl siding ceiling (lowest point is 8' & highest is 12'). That and searing or pizza cooks with the possible afterburner effect like Carolina said. I pondered the idea of fan blowing it out through the screen but, decided no biggie having it outside as it's right off the lanai and 10' away from my Mothers kitchen and 20' from our kitchen. It works well for me.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.. Didn't think about the afterburner effect.. I have had that happen before, but not often.. 
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • boboegg
    boboegg Posts: 46
    Options
    This winter we added a screened-in porch over our existing deck. The overriding question is how to properly vent the porch so smoke doesn't fill it up.  It is perfect when there is a breeze from any direction, but you need a gas mask when it is still even with the ceiling fans. The solution was a cheap box fan that blows the smoke out horizontally. The KISS method worked. I was shopping for expensive vents and looking for elegant solutions, but simple is better and cheaper.
    LBGE, Lawrenceville, GA
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options