Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Eggowner: I think I broke it!! Help!

Options

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    So glad your dealer is taking care of you Jessica.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    So glad that you got such an immediate response! You bought a quality item and that comes with perks -Ike customer satisfaction! Kudos to the dealer for making it right! Kudos to you Jessica for handling it so calmly! You'll notice a huge change in cooking with your new correct egg! Enjoy!!
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Great customer service story, mistakes do happen, its what happens afterwards that makes the difference between right and wrong.  Glad it worked out for you, enjoy your future cooks on a fully functional Egg!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Wow.  This is exactly the sort of thing that I felt paranoid about the first time I used my egg.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    A happy ending indeed!  :-bd
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Glad to hear your story appears to have a happy ending. As others have said: Mistakes happen. This is why pencils still come with a built-in eraser. It is how people respond to the mistake that sets them apart. I think your dealer responded in the best way possible. I'm sure your dealer couldn't have been expecting an off hours email such as yours. The fact he/she was keeping an eye on their business email off hours says something too. Lastly an immediate phone call vs. an email reply or waiting for start of business the next day is a good sign.

One other thing that I wanted to mention is the lower draft door is actually 2 doors: An inner screen and an outer solid metal door. Once you have used your ash tool to clean out the ash drop area of the Egg (something you will now have with a Firebox and bottom grate), be sure to close this door to keep hot ashes from falling to the ground or your feet. I mention this because you mentioned some lump falling to the ground, This wouldn't have happened if the inner screen door had been closed. Welcome to the forum and good luck going forward!!
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited May 2014
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    ... An expensive mistake on the dealers part...
    Glad the dealer is coming through for you big time ... looking on the bright side, this could be a silver lining for them ... think of all the goodwill and future $ale$ this incident can generate for them!

canuckland
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Jessica - Great story - glad it worked out well for you.  I love happy endings!!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Bearlodge
    Bearlodge Posts: 45
    Options
    Yes, agree with grill4us.  This sounds like the dealer's  problem as they screwed it up.  Ask them to pick up the egg and deliver a new one.  Good Luck!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2014
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Wow

grill4us said:
    You know I was thinking - before you haul it back there, why not call them and maybe email them some pics. They are responsible if they set it up wrong and maybe they'll just get the ball rolling for you. So when you do go back there you'll come home with exactly what you need.

Id call them and email pics and tel them to come and pick it up and bring a new one. This is their mistake and a huge one at that.

Guess I added my 2cents too late. LOL.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited May 2014
    Options
    So happy for you Jessica, enjoy and remember to take photos of your cooks!

btw, also glad the burning lumps didn't land on your toes when they 'jumped' out 
    :D
    canuckland
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Glad it worked out!

Usually mistakes are just that mistakes so as long as everyone stays calm they can be resolved.

Gerhard
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Welcome Jessica!!! The folks on the forum are awesome!!! Sorry for you bad "first" impression. You have a stellar dealer. Now fire that bad boy up already. We want to see your second first cook go well. 

You will be an egghead just like most of us in no time. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    jessie318 said:
    Intown Ace Hardware on Scott Blvd

That facility used to be owned by a good friend of mine before he passed at an early age a few years ago.  My wife's office used to be a few buildings down and I loved going there to chat with my buddy.  I miss him, but I'm glad to see that he's successor is doing you right!!!

Happy egging!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Tony sounds like a stand up guy. I hope the local Atlanta folks here will shop with him. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Glad it worked out Jessie, anyone can make a mistake it is how you deal with it is how your measured. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Fantastic! B-) The speedy response and resolution is impressive and speaks volumes on this locations owner and his employees. Enjoy your new LBGE.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    Glad to hear it worked out Jess but Mein Gott, that thing sure got hot.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Glad everything work out for you!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Great ending, I`m going to buy a new egg and I just might drive down to Atlanta from Michigan to buy it from them. Nice vacay for me!
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Great story with a happy ending.  Now I would just carefully pull it away from the siding and you are good to go.  

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your cooks.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    Options
    I drive from Johns Creek, which isn't very close, to shop at that store. It's one of the best ACEs around and worth the drive.
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • SunDeviledEgg
    SunDeviledEgg Posts: 132
    Options
    It's nice that they replaced it but really, it's pretty inexcusable that it happened in the first place.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Great news!!! One thing though, and it may just be me, but the support arm for the nest still looks a bit close to the vent. What do you all think? Rotate it a bit still? I have my vent door centred between the nest legs.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

It's nice that they replaced it but really, it's pretty inexcusable that it happened in the first place.

Stuff happens. Nobody's perfect. They owned their mistake, corrected it and the buyer is happy. How on earth is that inexcusable?

Little Rock, AR

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Its always hard to believe Eggs start out that white, they don't stay like that for long! Seeing your new Egg pics remind me of the day I had mine dropped off, all shiny and clean!   Happy Eggin! 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• JenniferEgger
    Options
    See, stuff like this scares me.  I don't have my Egg (yet!!) and I'm paranoid that I'll do something to it! Glad it got resolved!!! 

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• jessie318
    jessie318 Posts: 14
    Options
    See, stuff like this scares me.  I don't have my Egg (yet!!) and I'm paranoid that I'll do something to it! Glad it got resolved!!! 

Jennifer - Don't worry!  I have to believe that this is a very rare occurrence!  Now that I have the egg, properly set up, I can't believe "all that" was missing.  The interior looks entirely different - and if anyone had bothered to check,  it's not something that would have gone unnoticed. 

Greeno55 - I think it's the angle of this picture because I thought the same thing until I got home and saw it in person.  (My son sent me that pic.). When I got down on the level of the draft door it was perfectly centered between the legs. 

Eggnorth- Thanks for the note about moving it out from the wall.  After the last frightening experience, I will be giving the Egg a wide berth when the temperature starts to climb! 

One question I do have for the forum - if anyone reads this far into the thread any more - how many hours do I need to cook at a low temp before I can cook something I really want to cook - like a steak or a burger??  I know the manual says "first three uses" but there's a big difference between smoking something for half a day vs grilling a piece of fish for a few minutes.   What's the requirement for that break-in?   

Thanks,
    Jessica

• grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    So glad it all worked out!  Happy Egging!!