Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGEs N' Da' HOUSE! Pic heavy tho'!

Options

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Cazzy, I see your table has the eggs enclosed pretty much like PMC's. I take it it doesn't get too hot?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Cazzy, I see your table has the eggs enclosed pretty much like PMC's. I take it it doesn't get too hot?
    The bottom of the large side is dark from the heat, but it still has the same integrity it did when I brought it home.  The bases of the egg are redwood as my designer said it would hold up better.  I check on it from time to time and the color underneath isn't getting darker so we shall see.  I also don't go nuclear anymore...that wore off when I got out of my BGE honeymoon phase.  lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    cazzy said:
    The bottom of the large side is dark from the heat, but it still has the same integrity it did when I brought it home.  The bases of the egg are redwood as my designer said it would hold up better.  I check on it from time to time and the color underneath isn't getting darker so we shall see.  I also don't go nuclear anymore...that wore off when I got out of my BGE honeymoon phase.  lol
    Okay. I'm glad to see I wasn't just being a little old lady about it. There IS something to pay attention to. I have always understood that prolonged or repeated exposure to high temps can eventually lead to spontaneous combustion. Like where your hot water pipes pass thru your wall studs. There's a term for it, but I don't remember what it is. Anyway, be alert!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    edited May 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Okay. I'm glad to see I wasn't just being a little old lady about it. There IS something to pay attention to. I have always understood that prolonged or repeated exposure to high temps can eventually lead to spontaneous combustion. Like where your hot water pipes pass thru your wall studs. There's a term for it, but I don't remember what it is. Anyway, be alert!!

I actually plan to sell the table next year and build an outdoor kitchen.  Until then, the table and small egg will be in storage for about 6 months while the new house is being built.  My wife just got a promotion to AVP at her company, so we're relocating to Katy or Richmond Texas.   :)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

I actually plan to sell the table next year and build an outdoor kitchen.  Until then, the table and small egg will be in storage for about 6 months while the new house is being built.  My wife just got a promotion to AVP at her company, so we're relocating to Katy or Richmond Texas.   :)
    LOL, use STONE!!!

I have friends in Katy. :)  And congrats to your wife!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PMG
    PMG Posts: 50
    Options

@Cazzy – I was waiting to see YOUR comments!  Thank YOU!  You know - wanting to emulate somebody is THE highest form of Flattery!   And I truly liked/loved your concept of a table/Stand!  It really suited ME best from all the others!  Hope you noticed, I made sure you were given PROPS in my initial Forum post!  Wanted folks to know it was your concept, your stand and table!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Back in May, June and October 2013, we had exchanged a few messages via the Forum that I was interested in your table and that I was looking to build one like it!  I’ve showed off your table to MANY of my friends as well as Store vendors while making purchases, as they were curious of what I was building, NOT many people are aware of the BGE – NOW they are, though; BUT I am SO glad to hear you like mine WITH the different “spins” I built on it!  SO while it is “Cazzy-esque” as Eggcelsior so eloquently put it, it was made in high regard and will ALWAYS be treated as such BUT with Spins!

Sorry to hear about the storing of your unit while you wait for a new house to be built!  Congrats to your wife for selecting for AVP!  Awesome!  Selling your table – someone will enjoy it!  Another table build?  XXL placed in it?  J

• PMG
    Options

@Carolina Q - appreciate your comments didn't take ANYTHING negative - totally agree with you re: transferring a “HOT” plate setter & keeping a watchful eye on the bottom of the stand and EGG!  I WILL have a fire extinguisher or 2 on the ready until I'm 100% sure after a few different types of cooks to verify conduction of ceramic to metal w/cross ventilation and heat buildup to ensure its ALL good to go!  Honestly though, I think the green egg doesn't dissipate too much heat!  So I don’t think the “cross ventilation” will be that much of a factor!  Too, the actual coals are UP in the middle of the cooker & off the bottom of the egg - so I don't think the heat will conduct to the metal Stand too much!  Can never be sure though – but here in SoCal – I’ll have to be prepared!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Another issue which I think you were alluding too with re: to ventilation that I want to address is that I am going to run either the DigiQ or CyberQ temperature control devices to help control appropriate temps and NOT be dependent on cross winds!

THANKS Carolina Q - good lookin out!

• PMG
    Options

TO ALL A VENDOR TIP/SUGGESTION: With regards to possible table fires; I was concerned for the "circled" edges of the BGE touching the sides of the Cedar Table Top, after viewing one persons table burning on the Fourm “Yikes”, it prompted me to research, to find and to call this company called Gladiator Glove Works – they are located on the web at http://www.gladiatorglove.com/default.asp  - CHECK out some of my pics on how I did utilized the product!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This is their info on the product I got to wrap around the inside top edge of my Egg Table Top holes and other possible high heat contact areas:

Gladiator’s premium highly texturized tape provides exceptional insulation.

Common uses: sealing, lagging, exhaust wrap, heat shielding, insulation, and encapsulation in automotive, process equipment, or architectural & construction applications.

• Made exclusively with ZetexPlus® highly texturized fiberglass

• ZetexPlus® is treated with a Vermiculite coating which allows heat to disperse evenly across the surface of the tape

• Strong, flexible, and abrasion resistant

• Supports continuous operating temperatures to 1500°F (816°C)

• Supports peak temperatures up to 2000°F (1093°C)

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    @pmg, don't rely on coals being in the upper part of the chamber, especially if you use a Hi-q grate. A lot of smaller coals will fall through and you will see a very healthy orange glow through the lower vent.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @pmg, don't rely on coals being in the upper part of the chamber, especially if you use a Hi-q grate. A lot of smaller coals will fall through and you will see a very healthy orange glow through the lower vent.
    Yes, it absolutely gets hot down there! 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JRWesco
    JRWesco Posts: 57
    Options
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Maybe place a layer or two of that heat tape on or under the feet of your powder coated stand?
    Gittin' there...
  • PMG
    Options
    @FearlessTheEggNoob‌ - had thought about adding heat tape as you suggested! Thanks, good looking out!
  • rsuplido
    rsuplido Posts: 5
    Options
    @PMG‌, does that tape come with adhesive at the back? If not what did you use to adhere it to your table? Thanks.
  • PMG
    Options
    @rsuplido, no adhesive!  I just used staples and then hammered the staples into the fabric and wood!  I asked the company but could not get a response!  Are you thinking about getting some?
  • rsuplido
    Options
    @pmg yeah, building a table now and was thinking of what to put at the sides of the hole. At first I was thinking of welding fabric.
  • PMG
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Simple 5-6 hour cook with Ribs. So far the table is holding up! Fire is where it should be in da pit! @Carolina Q‌ - the Heat transfer at the bottom is being watched very carefully! You were so right - heat transfer to metal stand is an issue! Its sitting on a plywood board that covers 3/4" plywood! Once it cools off gonna go back to the drawing board and try something else! src="https://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/FileUpload/8e/17c053554cb3f12cf1bb45c160323d.jpg"imageimageimage
  • cazzy
    Options
    So are you wheeling your table out from your garage every cook? No room in the backyard?
  • PMG
    Options
    Hey Cazzy!  You got it...rollin out of garage and into driveway to cook FOR NOW!  Plenty of room in backyard but it is being upgraded, concreted, etc.  Putting in a nice backyard BBQ Island, Fire Fountain Feature, etc.  ALSO, my neighbors are loving it!  ALL guud!  :)

• PMG
    Options
    Accidentally posted 3 of the same pics, DON'T know how to delete them?  Sorry!
  • PMG
    Options
    @Cazzy, any ideas to counter the heat transfer of the metal stand?  WITHOUT compromising look of the unit!
  • PMG
    Options
    Temporary wet towel application - changed every 15-20 mins! so far has tremendously reduced heat transfer! Wurkin! :) can exhale!
  • rsuplido
    Options
    @pmg This is the welding blanket I got: http://www.legionsafety.com/steiner-31734-heavy-duty-welding-blanket.html

I'm thinking of using it below the grill and cut strips to cover the side of the hole.

• cazzy
    edited May 2014
    Options
    PMG said:

@Cazzy, any ideas to counter the heat transfer of the metal stand?  WITHOUT compromising look of the unit!

Is your stand getting hot?? The feet of my stand are cool to touch even during pizza cooks.

What diameter steel did Charles use and how much of a gap is underneath?
  • PMG
    Options
    Feet/stand hot! Not sure diameter or how much of a gap? Just gotta fix it! That's all! :((
  • PMG
    Options
    @rsuplido‌ - thanks for linking the website will definitely check it out! Appreciate ya'! Good looking out!
  • rsuplido
    Options
    One more link. Similar to Gladiator Glove Tape, here's another option:

It's readily available in Amazon 
  • cazzy
    Options

@PMG Im ignorant in many ways..but if you used staples to secure the fabric to the wood..wouldn't the staples transfer heat directly to the wood? Which negates the fabric?

IMO, The amount of heat transfered from a staple wouldn't be enough to cause concern. After all, it's a tiny ass lil staple. :P
  • PMG
    Options

@mountaindewbass - thanks! I did gravely consider your thought BEFORE deciding to staple but couldn't find any adhesive or other mechanism to adhere the fabric!  The fabric did wonderfully well!

@Cazzy - re: the stapling of the heat resistant fabric, my sentiment exactly!   ha! ha!  Love it!

@rsuplido - thanks for 2nd link!  :)

• PMG
    Options
    My "Killa" Chiuahua Snoop Dawg macking down on a Beef Rib - he was hangin out with me during the cook!