Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken with White Beer/Chain Restaurant Rolls/Grilled Corn Pudding

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
Last Saturday for lunch I made an adapted version of the Farm-Fresh Chicken with White Beer recipe from the Big Green Egg Lifestyle magazine v04-14 which has been out around a month now. I know from prior experience that one BCC (which is at the heart of this recipe) is never enough. I have two Weber poultry stands for just this reason. I decided to see if I could get my two Weber stands to fit in a disposable foil pan which would in turn fit on the Egg. I found a pan that fit on the Egg and almost worked for the Weber stands. So I carefully reshaped the corners and the angle of the short side to allow the poultry stands to just fit.  I almost but not quite doubled up on the veggies called for, rounding down slightly. I used my other Egg to do up some rolls and a grilled corn pudding recipe.

Dark & Soft Chain Restaurant Dinner Rolls:
This recipe came from the King Arthur Flour website and made tasty soft dinner rolls not unlike those you get in Outback Steakhouse. One change I made, which affected the dark part, was to not use the Caramel Food Coloring and honey called for. I just don't like the idea of something in there just for physical appearance only as was the case for the food coloring. So I used molasses instead of the food coloring and honey. This was suggested in the comments section of the recipe. The recipe was very easy to make, but it does have a total of 2 rises which take up 3 hours time. So this was the first thing I made when I started my work in the Kitchen. 

The rolls went in the oven for  a 2 hour rise. The oven was off except for the oven light which I turned on to add a small amount of warmth to the unheated oven.

CHICKEN WITH WHITE BEER
The chicken was moist and juicy as BCC is but there were two minor hiccups. First I think I may have poured too much beer in the pan under the veggies. The chicken skin didn't brown as much as normal. I think there may have been a lot of moisture present which wasn't conducive to browning. The second was I had a doneness issue I didn't catch while the food was on the Egg. Several of the Leg/Thighs were sitting in contact with the bed of veggies. While the thickest part of all of the Leg/Thighs measured 160 and the Breast was 170 when measured with my Thermapen I noticed when I cut the legs and thighs off that the very bottom close to the veggies was still not done. I served only the Breasts and finished cooking the Legs/Thighs under the broiler. So next time I will make sure the bottom of the chicken is elevated above the veggie bed. 

GRILLED CORN PUDDING:
Dessert was from Chris Lilly's new book Fire and Smoke. I made it so it was coming off the second Egg when the chicken was served. This way it was still hot when we ate it. This was a "low calorie / low fat" Southern recipe. As you will see in the picture, it used a sinful amount of butter, heavy cream, eggs, sugar and brown sugar. It made a pudding that was more like a custard. It was yummy!! It was sweet from all the sugary ingredients and savory from the blackened corn. People were having seconds even though the first serving had them ready to explode.

First the butter is melted over low heat and then the heavy cream is added. The pan is pulled off of low heat.

The eggs are added next, followed by all of the dry ingredients except the corn and the brown sugar and cinnamon. The mix is now a medium thick batter.

Then the grilled corn is added in.

The pudding batter goes on the Egg for 30 minutes at 375.

At the midway point, once the batter has set, the brown sugar and cinnamon are mixed together and then are applied to the top of the pudding.

The pudding is done after 30 minutes and is just starting to pull away from the side of the baking dish.

This Grilled Corn Pudding was excellent. But I am thinking if you look up "decadent" in the dictionary there may be a picture of this recipe there.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Wow everything looks great! I've been wanting to try that bread recipe for awhile. How was it? Sorry if you mentioned the outcome of the bread in your writeup and I missed it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jfm0830
    DMW said:
    Wow everything looks great! I've been wanting to try that bread recipe for awhile. How was it? Sorry if you mentioned the outcome of the bread in your writeup and I missed it.
    Thanks @DMV

No you didn't miss it, I forgot to say. The rolls reminded me very much of the rolls you get at Outback Steakhouse. They were a little airier in texture than the Outback rolls, which for me was a good thing. The flavor was similar to the Outback rolls too, with a little more molasses flavor than the Outback rolls. The color was lighter because I had not used the caramel food coloring, but I can live with that. The recipe led you to believe the rolls didn't have a whole lot of rise, but they had more than I expected.I was surprised to see the amount they had grown when I took them out of the unheated oven after the final 2 hour rise.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    Are you kidding me...That all looks awesome..Great cook.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    So do you have the baking down using the adjustable rig? I remember a post of some hot spot issues or burning but have not seen you have any issues since.
    Seattle, WA
  • jfm0830
    Thanks guys!!
    SkinnyV said:
    So do you have the baking down using the adjustable rig? I remember a post of some hot spot issues or burning but have not seen you have any issues since.

Boy you have an excellent memory. That was about six months ago between Thanksgiving and Christmas and into January. It took me a while to get to the bottom of it. My baked goods were cooking too fast on the bottom and too slow on the top. It just so happened I was starting to use the AR, but I was also having the problem with the platesetter. I immediately stopped using the AR until I got to the bottom of the problem. No sense introducing another variable into the mix when having a problem. What was baffling is I had made some of the same things for the holidays a year ago with no problems. It turned out the problem was the dome thermo being very very far away from the temps at the grate level. There was  a 100 plus degree difference between the temp at the grate level and the dome thermo. In 2012 the weather was milder, in the 30's and 40's and this year the temps were in the single digits and it was wicked windy. I never did understand why everyone uses the dome thermo on the BGE. Any other grill I've owned you ignore the dome or lid thermo and use something at the grate level. I finally started putting a grate level probe in to see what my temps were at the grate level.

As soon as I started doing this with the platesetter, I began having normal results. I would put a grate probe at my cooking level and everything turned out perfectly again. Text book perfect. I was amazed at the variance between the grate level temps and the dome. After several hours they would get within 20 degrees of each other. But at first during cold windy weather there were HUGE differences. So I now totally ignore the dome thermo and always use a grate probe for any indirect cooking or baking I do.

I use the AR all of the time now. I like being able to do 2, 3 or 4 trays of cookies or rolls at once. I simply swap tray positions at the midpoint to make up for temperature difference, just like you do in your indoor oven. I also like the way you can remove the AR, all of the shelves, food and stone in one operation. This way if I have a lot of work to do on the food, I pull the whole AR and everything else out and get the lid closed very quickly. Leaving the lid open at low cooking temperatures is dangerous. Sure you are letting cold air in which drives the temps down at first. But this is also a ton of combustion air. you recover and the temps keep sailing higher and higher because you have stoked the fire. 

This next AR advantage doesn't apply to baking, but being able to remove the entire AR in one operation makes it easy to add would chunks or chips and minimize the time the lid is open. Trying to do this with the platesetter is a 3 step operation and is harder and takes longer. These days when I am using both Eggs, one of them has the AR in use.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Good info thanks!
    Seattle, WA
  • jfm0830
    Good info for good memory. Seemed like a fair trade. If you remembered the problem all this time I figured the solution must have been of interest to you.