Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you even wok bro?

Options
fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,236
I'm about to! 

Ordered the 16in wok from the wok shop along with the large spider from CGS which should all be arriving tomorrow. Also ordered the 17in chuan and hoak (spoon and ladle) combo off amazon. Saw the wok demo a few weeks ago at the North GA Eggfest and was inspired to give it a shot! 

Plan on posting some pictures of my first cook, but was wondering which wok book I should get. I've seen a few recommendations on here (as well as the one recommended to me by Ms. Tane Chan from the wok shop), but wondered which one I should get...?

Thanks!
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options

You may find this helpful.  I put it together some time ago after seeing how creative our Wokhead friends can be when Woking on their Egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vzMLwKizF4

I have another one in the works but I'm waiting on some more people to post photos on their wok cooking.  Be sure to share your photos.  I'll spot them, save them and add them to the next video.

Good woking to you.

Spring "Woking My Eggy Back Home" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• fence0407
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Thanks Spring Chicken! I will be sure to post pictures as soon as I can get out and wok. Love the video btw...
    Cumming, GA  

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Ms Chan is the very best.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fence0407
    Options
    @Mickey - agreed. She has been very helpful with my recent purchase/questions.
    Cumming, GA  

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    "The Breath of a Wok" by Grace Young is a good book with not only great recipes but some history, a glossary with pics of various ingredients, and more.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @R2Egg2Q - have you seen her new book entitled "Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge"? I'm guessing it's an updated version of the book you mentioned above..?
    Cumming, GA  

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I have seen her "...Sky's Edge" book but don't have it (yet). I have heard good things about it. I don't think it is just an update of the "Breath" book as it appears to have recipes from an expanded list of countries beyond China. I think @jfm0830 has both books and perhaps he can share his thoughts in them?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Breath of a Wok is a great book.
    Also here are some ramblings I put together a few years ago.  Happy Wokking!

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited May 2014
    Options
    The two Grace Young books are independent books with totally different recipes. There is some overlap in the areas of technique and choosing a wok, but the recipes are all different. Both were recommended to me by Village Idiot who is one of the real wok gurus here. While I have made more recipes from "Str Frying..." (9) vs. "Breath of..." (6), I actually read "Breath of..." first. It is the older of the two books and is probably 50 percent recipes and 50 percent history of cooking in a wok and techniques used in stir frying. "Stir Frying..." is about 75 percent recipes and 25 percent techniques and how to select a wok, with some history throne in. But "Breath of..." is definitely much heavier on the history. For some folks who just want to make something, this may not be a good thing. But for me the history aspect was the whole reason I read that book first. I feel to understand a different type of cooking you really need to understand where it came from. There are great recipes to be had in both books and I would say get both if you can afford it. 

At the time I got started wokking on the Egg, I wrote some blog entries about the experience and what I was learning. Perhaps they will be of some help to some folks reading this thread, so I will post the links below.

Good luck with your wokking @fance0407 and anyone else jumping in. The results are totally worth your effort.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks Richard and @jfm0830 ! Plenty of reading material for me and others who might be interested!

Can't wait to get wokking!
    Cumming, GA  

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I wouldn't even attempt to think about using a wok, but then again, the wife is Asian and I couldn't hold a candle to her skills with that particular piece of kitchen gear.  I just enjoy the yummy things she makes in it. ;^)
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa