Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Eggowner: I think I broke it!! Help!

Comments

• jessie318
    jessie318 Posts: 14
    grill4us said:

You know I was thinking - before you haul it back there, why not call them and maybe email them some pics. They are responsible if they set it up wrong and maybe they'll just get the ball rolling for you. So when you do go back there you'll come home with exactly what you need.

I definitely will do that. First I just want to make sure it is what we all suspect. Then I'll reach out.

I had to enlist a friend and borrow a truck to get it home, so it won't be the easiest thing to just 'bring it back'. Lol
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    jessie318 said:
    but I also wanted to add that even the legs on the sides and back had the rubber melt off the tips. 
    Jessica, I have heard of others with melted vinyl (or whatever it is) on the tips of the nest. It was a stupid idea in the first place. Put your hand there sometime and see hoe YOU like it! No, don't, but you get my point.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Get to the bottom of the mystery, so to speak, shoot some pictures, post them here, then send him (text, email, whatever) a link to this thread.  He should, if he's a decent human being and cares about future business, make it right - (deliver you a new egg and set it up), if you're missing the firebox.  You have damage that may have been directly caused by his product missing a critical part. 

Also, what's the dealer's name and address?
    You should ask for and get a new replacement, heck I'd ask them for how ever many steaks you were cooking plus delivery and set up.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited May 2014
    I would bet money there is no Firebox in there. The Fire Ring has no air gap between it and the inside surface of the Egg. There is no Firebox holding the Fire Ring up at the right height. So you were missing the thickness of the Firebox and the air gap normally found between the outside of the Firebox and the inside of the Egg. This would explain all of the problems you had.

I would insist on a totally new replacement, Who knows what else may have gotten damaged from exposure to the excess heat. If they won't do that, get your money back and go elsewhere.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    +1 with what @grill4us suggested. I'd insist that the dealer come out and get the egg themselves and I would not settle for anything less than a complete replacement.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I would hate to be that dealer about now! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I would heed caution. I wouldn't rotate it in the nest or change anything from its current state. If they delivered it and set it up like this....Wow! Take lots of pics closeups etc. Ensure these parts are in fact missing. And +1 reputable dealer should (with no hassle) take care of this immediately. Personally looking at the pics it does look as though the glaze is lifting off. I'd want a whole new kit and kaboodle
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jessie318
    Lookie there, after shoveling out about half a bag of charcoal, I got to the bottom.  Lo and behold: nothing down there!  

I don't see any cracks in the Egg, but I do agree with a previous poster (SmokeyPitt) that suggested it may be the ceramic glaze, rather than the silicone seal which cracked and flaked off.  I took a closer picture to see if I could capture that.  

I guess the fact that there were coals on the ground under the grill should have told me something was amiss.  LOL

I will be calling the dealer tomorrow first thing when they open and insisting on them making it right.  If it becomes any sort of hassle at all, I'll publish their name here and elsewhere and take my business to another store.  It's too much money for them to be so careless.  I made it clear when I bought it that I didn't know A THING about it and asked for tips.  (Maybe this was a test?)  

Thanks all!  Stay tuned for updates!

Jessica
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'd ask for a whole new egg....possibly future damage.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Holy cow! That could have been catastrophic!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    +1 @henapple . You bought a new egg properly assembled! You didn't get what you paid for and as a result, through no fault of yours, you now have a damaged egg! I'm sure your dealer would not want their nane posted on this board!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • jessie318
    gpsegg said:
    +1 @henapple . You bought a new egg properly assembled! You didn't get what you paid for and as a result, through no fault of yours, you now have a damaged egg! I'm sure your dealer would not want their nane posted on this board!
    RIght!  I understand that mistakes happen and I'll give them every opportunity to make it right.  If they make it right, I'll be a customer for life.  If not, well...you'll all hear about that too!   

I just wrote a long email and included links to this forum thread and attached pictures.  The store is closed now, but I'll follow up with a phone call in the morning.   

Thanks all!
    Jessica
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    My Egg showed up missing the grate or firebox, I can't remember. I knew it wasn't right, and as soon as I started trying to phone, they sheepishly drove up with the part. However, they were a great dealer that for some reason succumbed to economic pressures. I miss them.
    Kemah, TX
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Ask for an entirely new egg. If they won't do it, contact the mother ship.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    grill4us said:
    You know I was thinking - before you haul it back there, why not call them and maybe email them some pics. They are responsible if they set it up wrong and maybe they'll just get the ball rolling for you. So when you do go back there you'll come home with exactly what you need.
    Might just work. Easy to take out the fire ring and install a fire box and grate. You may need some help fixing the nest leg position. 

Good luck - On the bright side i bet it is a lot easy to rake out the ash if the fire box is missing. 
    ;))
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited May 2014
    With all this 'who-dee-do' I'm betting on 100% replacement.

You go girl!!!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice...dealer?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    This is a great story and I hope the dealer does as they said and makes it right.  As you said,  S#*T happens. I believe this could only have been done by someone that never cooked on an egg.  An expensive mistake on the dealers part.  My guess that will never happen again at that store.  Good luck.  The reason it is such a great story is because, a novice was able to come to the forum and get all the information to address the issue in the best manner.  That is worth a lot!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    So happy things worked out for you! Hopefully you won't let this get you down.

At least you'll have a great story to tell future new eggers when you're and old pro!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited May 2014
    Wonderful!! There is power in numbers. Now if we could just get the politicos in DC to follow this example of power of the people......

Oh leave it alone.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Very cool the way it was handled!! Bad deal that it happened but like you said mistakes happen.

I will echo @cazzy by saying post their name so if there is any eggers close they may gain a few new customers.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    +1on a great response from the dealer. Glad they are making it right. My dealer had a replacement for my cracked Egg in 3 days. Can't beat that kind of customer service.
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    =D> Awesome! Excellent they are doing the right thing for you. Look at it this way...now you actually will get a whole new "1st" cook. ;-). Welcome and good that there is happy ending in this story.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Glad the dealer is taking care of there mistake. The Big Green Egg is an awesome cooking device! Jupiter Jim 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Glad to see it has a happy ending!   Great that the owner is a stand up guy/gal. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I think you are lucky that something worse didn't happen from that configuration.  Good thing you were standing by the Egg.

And I agree with previous posters - props to the dealer for acknowledging such an egregious error and making it right.  Good customer service goes a long way.  That's the kind of dealer I want to buy from.
    NOLA