Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Old Is My Egg?

Options
Last week I finally got me an Egg.  Is a large (package A) that had been a floor model for years.  The ID# in the lid is 6805. Can you tell the date of manufacture by this ID# ? It has the old(er) small wooden handle and the thermometer with the green picture of an open egg.  Thanks for any help.
Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.) Moorpark, (Southern) California 93021

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't know how to tell by the ID.  That's a good question- not sure if they are sequential numbers.  Based on the handle and thermometer all I can tell you is I think it is a pre-2012 egg.  I think they went with Tel-tru thermos in 2012.  

I suspect the cooking grid is black porcelain coated?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Post some pictures if you can - especially a rear picture showing the type of band/hinge it has, but my gut feeling is it's probably newer than what you seem to think. Since I bought my first egg in 2000 they have gone through 4 different styles of dome thermometers so a closeup picture of that will help as well.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    Here is picture of my vintage BGE dome thermometers - surely yours does look like any of these do they? BTW the oldest is on the right.
  • egger911
    egger911 Posts: 39
    Options
    Smokypitt: yes my grill looks like that.
    RRP: the egg pic is on the left side of the thermometer and under that it says, "World's Best Smoker and Grill"
    Thanks guys.
    Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.) Moorpark, (Southern) California 93021
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited May 2014
    Options
    If I remember correctly, they switched from black porcelain grids to stainless in 2011. I think you're looking at 2010 or earlier.

Hinge have spring assist?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • RRP
    edited May 2014
    Options
    egger911 said:
    Smokypitt: yes my grill looks like that.
    RRP: the egg pic is on the left side of the thermometer and under that it says, "World's Best Smoker and Grill"
    Thanks guys.
     Another question - any feel for your dealer's turn over? I mean to still have an older model on display he must not be a mover and shaker in the egg world!
  • egger911
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I called BGE headquarters today (about another subject) and while I had them on the phone they helped me determine the age of my egg.  Made about 4 years ago. Yes it was a floor model for quite some time. They sold some new in box, but finally decided to sell this one. Just glad I am finally an egghead  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Congrats!  They have not changed much at all in the past 4 years so if you got a deal on it you came out ahead!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    It's an old egg and it won't cook good. I'll take it off your hands.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • egger911
    Options
    Yes, I got a great deal.  And...thanks I think I'll keep it. I have Webers and an off set smoker,  but I'm hooked on this Egg.  It's GREAT!  Thanks again to all for the help.  
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    Options
    Age does not matter one bit. Mine is 14 years old and I have a friend who still has his from 1993
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    6805= 6/6/2005
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Options
    In the older eggs where do you find the ID?
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • egger911
    Options
    Nealcr1: My ID# was stamped into the lid at about the 2:00 position (when the lid is open), not at the 6:00 position as shown at the registration site. Hope this helps.